German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay. So I have been looking for a good dog for... weeks, and weeks, maybe months. I NEED help. Can you guys help me find a german shepherd (female) (mix or purebred) (mix-you can tell it is a german shepherd) (medium to long coat) (from 6 months to 5 years old) in southern california area. From Los Angeles to San Diego, so anywhere in between or around. Please help!! You can pm me links, or post them here. Please help:) And in a shelter not rescue:) Hheellpp!!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Someone will see your thread. Stop with the bumping it up every ten minutes.

Some people spend YEARS looking for the right dog. I've wanted a GSD since I was four or five. I'm twenty and only picked out a breeder last year. It will probably be another two years (possibly more) before I can bring a puppy home. Will it be worth the wait? You betch'a.

You don't need to go out and get your dog tomorrow. If you wait, the right dog will come along and it will be worth the wait.

Keep checking in on your local shelters, humane societies, rescues, etc.

Even check the urgent and non-urgent rescue sections on the forum.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I'm confused......I thought you weren't allowed to have a dog??
I don't even know anymore.

Inside dog, outside dog, GSD, Aussie, he can, he can't...

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm confused......I thought you weren't allowed to have a dog??
It changes with every thread he posts.

Noah, you really need to calm down on the dog subject. You are being way too impatient and impulsive. You really need to listen to everyone telling you that it's probably for the best to wait until you are older to get a dog, when you can handle it on your own and don't have to mold your experience around what your parents want. You've been posting constantly for days and there have been numerous changes in what's going on. It's not a stable situation, don't bring a dog into it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I posted one in your other thread and you didn't respond. At the Devore animal shelter. I've posted several for you from there. Go look at their websites. Devore animal shelter, San Bernardino animal shelter, rcpets.info, upland animal shelter.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Noah has shown that he is capable of using the internet and doing searches. I do not think that I would personally feel comfortable facilitating getting him a dog given the information that I have seen posted. Particularly because he is looking at shelter and not rescue - as we all know that a rescue that does all the proper checks would have similar discomfort.

If people want to be a part of it, that's your own thing, but I only feel good helping dogs when I know where they are going.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I agree with Jean, there have been tons of options from rescue to shelter to breeder.

The situation is to uncertain for me anyway, to dig around on the internet to offer suggestions. Noah is perfectly capable of finding his own dog..Now asking questions about dog related stuff, well that's a different ballgame..

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Noah the hard part about committing to rescuing from a shelter is that the dogs can change by the minute. Many areas of CA are saturated with GSDs in their shelters and they are euthanized daily. My friend runs a rescue here in MI and she transports about 6 GSDs a week from CA. Many of the dogs are NOT in good condition. If you want a dog fast, then you have to make some compromises. You will not get to be as choosy about the age, health, and temperament of the dog. You will also need to actually get to the shelter. Often the available dogs are not accurately updated online or the dogs are only give 3-5 days to be adopted so there isn't time to window shop on Petfinder or email back and forth about whether the dog is a fit. You have to be able to show up and make that call pretty quickly. If you are willing to take your time, you can spend more time checking out each dog until you find the right one.

Why is rescue not an option?

Weeks and months is not long to wait. IMO finding the right dog in a few months would be considered rather fast, at least for me. I was recently looking for another dog and figured it would take me a year to a year and a half, and I was not even picky on breed, just size, age, and temperament to an extent (I actually wanted a mixed breed, 6 months-2 years, under 30lbs, didn't care about male/female). I ended up finding a suitable dog in about two months but waited almost another two months before decided that she was the best fit. If I'm going the breeder route, then it's more like a year or two. Even now I am trying to BREED my OWN dog for myself and it's taking forever. The first litter did not take so we wait to try again....hope she is pregnant, then there is the pregnancy, 8 weeks before the puppies are ready, and this is assuming that there is one born that matches what I am looking for...

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
What you NEED to do is calm down, go to school, focus on your studies, and let your parents decide whether or not they want to add a dog to your family right now ... or not.
We do not know what is really going on with you and your family.
Best place to go for help in finding a good match for all involved, especially the dog, would be a rescue.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
What you NEED to do is calm down, go to school, focus on your studies, and let your parents decide whether or not they want to add a dog to your family right now ... or not.
We do not know what is really going on with you and your family.
Best place to go for help in finding a good match for all involved, especially the dog, would be a rescue.
Agreed...from another Mom

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm also a minor on here, I've been told the same things, they're right. Even though I know patience is hard for us young people. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts