German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 month old has SIBO, but thankfully not EPI. We've done a couple rounds of metroniadazole (sp?) and weekly B12 shots, and she seems to be doing pretty well, although she's still so thin. I give her Fromm's LBP and about 1/4 c of canned food twice a day with digestive enzymes, and at lunch she gets mashed steamed sweet potatoes with Wysong Pet Innoculant. For training treats, turkey jerky or something dehydrated only. Oh, boiled eggs, her favorite, a couple times a week, too.
If I stick to this and use a low fat canned food like Wellness 95% turkey or salmon, she has normal poops. But I can't seem to put any weight on her - 6.5 lbs in 2 months only (she's 56.5 lbs). Before this diagnosis I had been giving her an occasional meal of chicken necks or quarters or duck wings, and marrow bones, but I just wasn't sure about going back to raw, or just scrapping kibble and going raw only. Does anybody have any experience feeding raw w/ SIBO? Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a bump to get some attention! Poor girl, went to ER vet last night because she has something in her foot, so back on antibiotics! The vet couldn't get the thing out, either, probably a cactus spine. Anybody know how to get a dog to take an Epsom salt soak?!? Thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
If it were me I would wait a while, couple weeks to a month, from when she is off the antibiotics before making any drastic diet changes and keep up with the probiotics -to get the normal flora back look for normal stools and start with one protein for a couple of weeks

Enzo had a minor strain when he was a pup vet advised Epsom soaks I used a kong filled with peanut butter and yogurt and draped him over my lap paws hanging the sprained one in the bowl with one hand held the kong and the other poured water over and over but compresses will also work good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
I agree with Mrs. P....the pro-biotic is VERY important with all of these antibiotics. You may even need to get a stronger one during this time. You can get a "Children's Pro-Biotic" product in the fridge section of an independent local health food store (not a chain like GNC), which would be good.
When you do decide to try raw again, your meat needs to be REALLY lean muscle meat....not a lot of fat or you could get an upset. Questionable if the marrow bones will cause an upset or not. Depends on the dog. Use Chicken breast (no skin or fat) or boneless, skinless thighs with the fat cut off, or ground sirloin or ground turkey (make sure it's the 93% meat & 7% fat variety or breast). Just add a little to what your baby is currently eating to see how her system accepts it. I think it is much healthier than canned.

Not personally a fan of Wysong products and ingredients. To rotate this product, you might like to try Digest All PLUS by The Wholistic Pet.
"Raw, whole food ingredients. The secret behind the purity and potency of our products is simple: We insist on using only the finest ingredients, the majority of which are not only Certified Organic but are whole, unprocessed foods. These raw food ingredients provide essential nutrients for pets’ optimal health.
High purity, potency and palatability. We take care to ensure that our supplements retain their effectiveness and taste appeal every step of the way, from start to finish."
Ingredients: Lipase, Protease, Amylase, Hemicellulase, Cellulase, Bromelain, Papain, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Fructooligosaccharide The Wholistic Pet

Or "Sunday Sundae" from Feed Sentinals which Carmspac is so knowledgeable about! Here is her page: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/members/50917-carmspack.html PM her some questions.
Here is a whole thread about it! http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/233402-feed-sentials-2.html

Just fyi if you want the full benefits of feeding eggs, here is a quote from my holistic vet: "You may feed eggs raw or cooked lightly just keep the yolk intact and uncooked to protect the fragile fatty acids from exposure to air and heat."

Here is a natural product for her foot wound: “Nelson’s Cuts & Scrapes” made from a combination of Calendula (Marigold Flower) and Hypericum (St. John’s Wart) that is for the pain and wounds. Helps resist infection and promotes healing (this product is good for hot spots too). You can put it on a few times per day while you are watching her so she won't lick it off right away.
Hope this helps!
Moms:)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wow thanks for all the great info, I will check out the other probiotics - I didn't realize there were so many out there for dogs! And the egg thing is helpful too, I had no idea!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts