German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my German Shepherd Shiloh has a decease called EPI, I was told that I would have to buy him a powder substance that helps him with enzymes or something like that for the reminder of his life time. The decease causes Shiloh to it process food correctly and makes him loose weight and have diarrhea. The powder is to help him process the food and gain back his weight.
My question is what kind of dog food do y’all recommend for me to get him now. Please and thank you.
The photos are a before and after. You can see a difference and how the powder has really helped him. I was giving him a prescription diet food that costed 100 dollars a bag plus the powered was another 120 every 2 weeks. I was recently told I can switch him to a less expensive food. So please I need help on a food that isn’t bad for him.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
So sorry you have this life-long condition to deal with. I'm glad your dog is improving and looks a lot better in the recent photo.

There is a lot of info. and updated food suggestions at the website below that is dedicated to EPI. If you haven't visited it before, you might check it out. I understand that food and possibly some additional supplements may be needed for some dogs and that it can be a trial and error situation for your dog.

Not to direct you away from this forum, but the EPI website below has a forum dedicated to the issue of EPI. It can help to have multiple sources of information/input. you will probably have to copy/past the address below in a new browser window.

https://epi4dogs.com/dog-food-options/#

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I don't have much to add for advise but definitely check out all the websites mentioned.

My boy was tested for EPI last year but was negative. He did have SIBO and borderline low B12 which was treated with B12 injections, Tylan powder and a limited ingredient diet. He has been fine since. No longer needs any of the treatment.

Before it was confirmed that he did not have EPI the EPI4dogs site was a wealth of information. Everyone on there was so very helpful and knowledgeable.

Your dog looks so much better already!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts