German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is 4mths and has had diarrhea most of the time we’ve had her at 11 weeks.
She’s been dewormed by breeder and myself,had her to vet who gave a different dewormer.Still no change...just took stool sample in and it was negative for parasites. She is full of energy,great appetite and gaining weight. She is 35lbs,gained 9lbs in 3 weeks.oh yeah,the poop stinks to the high heavens!
Has anyone dealt with this before? Need advice before vet wants to do a whole bunch of test.
Thanks!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have you tried changing her food? Does she drink tap water or bottled water? Tap water can give diarrhea.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Taking a sample in means doing a simple fecal float -- putting it on a slide and looking under a microscope. That's a very cheap test but of limited utility. It's a starting point only. If a parasite isn't shedding eggs that day, there's no sign of it on the slide, even though they're infected. Some parasites are VERY tough to catch on a slide.

You need to pay for better diagnostics because the possibilities require different meds -- giardia, coccidia, clostridium, viruses, etc. There's no "one and done" medicine that treats all the possibilities. The best bang for your buck will cost around $200 and tests for a long list of parasites and infections by sending it out to a lab. Alternatively, you could spend about $100 each to test for the most likely things one at a time -- like the Giardia Elisa test, etc. If you go that route, start with Giardia, as it's probably the most likely thing (very common, and very hard to ever see on a fecal float slide).

Since the pup has had diarrhea so long, I'd bite the bullet and ask the vet to do an "IDEXX Diarrhea RealPCR" Panel (the $200 test I described) -- it takes about a few days to get back the results.

I would rule out parasitic infections before monkeying around with food changes. FWIW, we had a pair of pups in rescue that came to us with diarrhea that *almost* resolved after deworming and then came back with a vengeance and nothing helped. We ran that test and found out they had a cocktail of infection -- literally 4 different things -- and none of it would have resolved without figuring out what was going on with them.

If the cost of a vet visit and $200 of diagnostics feels like a lot, after this resolves, it might be worth thinking about good pet insurance for next time. From your post, you sound frustrated or like you don't have reason to trust your vet's recommendation about diagnostics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feel like I am dealing with the same issue with my white German Shepard. My pup is 9 months old now and unfortunately I am still trying to determine the issue myself. She has had on off mushy to runny stools that smell foul. I had a RealPCR diarrhea test done and everything came back negative... I have also had a blood sample done where her trypsin levels were cheeked to determine if it was her pancreas and her levels were normal... I have been to 3 vets and none of them seem to know what is wrong with her. She was on Purina Pro Plan HA Hydrolyzed (vegetarian) dog food and then was later switched to Hills Science Z/D hydrolyzed food. These seemed to help slightly, but was not a sure fix. What seems to be throwing all of the vets off is that she was gaining weight, had tons of energy, and wanted to eat. I wish you luck in finding an answer on here, as that is why I'm searching the web now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts