German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all!
let me start out by saying I have loved German shepherds my whole life as I'm sure many of you have as well. although I have never had a dog before. so I'm wondering if you think I can get one even without experience. many of the sites I've visited have said it's a horrible idea but I love them so much. I work 3-4 short shifts a week otherwise I have plenty of time to train and play with him/her. I live in a rather small cabin alone but on a 15 acre plot of land so theres plenty of space outside. what do you all think? any and all advice is very welcome!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
It really has nothing to do with how much space you have, or much you work, but how much you are willing to dedicate to your dog. Most of us work full time, don't have 15 acres, but dedicate our time to making sure our dog's needs are met: exercise, training, adventures, mental stimulation, socialization. Willingness to learn and be open minded.

If you are willing to put in the time and effort, then no reason why you shouldn't get a GSD.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I do have to ask... If you can't get a GSD without experience with the breed, how are you supposed to get experience... without owning one??

I agree with Castlemaid. I think you can do it if you are really committed to the dog and understand the mental and physical needs for the breed. I got my first GSD puppy when I lived in an apartment with no backyard or land to call my own. He was more than happy.

Remember that the puppy will need to be let out every two hours when young, even while you're at work. If you can't do it yourself, you could look into a dog walker or family or friends to do it for you. That's only a short period in the 10+ years with your dog, so even if it's difficult, it's worth it.

Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions or input on litters if/when you do decide to go for it.

·
Super Moderator
9,217 Posts
@Pytheis I believe the OP is referring to their lack of dog experience, not breed experience.

w/o dog experience, I do think that some basic understanding of dog handling and behavior can go a long way and is beneficial before jumping right in with a gsd puppy.

OP, I generally encourage people in your position to find a shepherd rescue to volunteer for. They can certainly use the help and it will likely help you to get some hands on with narrowing down exactly what you’re looking for within the breed, not just traits that sound ideal on paper. Who knows..... you might even end up finding your new friend there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts