German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rescue 2yr old GSD i got earlier this year, i keep bones, or rawhide bones around for her, but she still chew's other things if you dont watch her. She has chewed a couple of tv remote controls and a baseball glove. When do they grow out of the chewing stage? Also will they chew on things cause of boredom?
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
187 Posts
get rid of the rawhides its bad for them. Yes they will chew out of bordem so play/excersie them well. Maybe go to SchH or agility or something to give them a job. And get a some nylabones and kongs they love those but make sure you get the nylabones for strong chewers and maybe one of those dental things that have 2 knots on the end and it looks like a bone if you get what im trying to describe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Baseball glove - what did you expect? You have a rawhide flavored glove!

Nyla bones are good and last a long time even with heavy chewers.

Also, I agree with jdp, play and exercise them often (even if it is just playing fetch with a toy for a while).

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Rawhide Bad get rid of it!!!

Or Marrow bone that keeps them occupied for a long time
Exercise and play is a must it tires them out so when you aren't around they are to pooped to do anything

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok rawhides are bad, didnt know that. She loves balls of any type and will pretty much destroy it in the first use. i have bought a kong and i put peanut butter and other stuff in it but she will have nothing to do with it, i was wondering if the plastic/rubber smell would make her not want it? i will be going to pick up a nylabone today. Oh wife wants to know why the rawhides are bad for them? thanks for the info yall.

·
Registered
598 Posts
They can't digest the rawhide (or chew it thoroughly to break it up), so they basically swallow it in chunks. The chunks can get stuck in the intestine, and if they can't pass it, the blockage can kill them.

I also wouldn't give pig ears, or other "leathery-type" chews for the same reason.

Nylabones are good - my dog has 2 or 3 different ones made for "Powerful Chewers", and he's had them since he was 7 weeks old (he's one now). They're full of teeth marks, but still intact.

His favorite one is this one:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2811443

The Everlasting Treat ball is my dog's other favorite, and practically indestructible. Make sure you get the one for "Large Dogs". And FYI, the liver-flavored one will stain carpet. I learned the hard way. Kodee only gets the liver ones in the kitchen. LOL!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750985

Lastly, Kodee is only a year old, but we still keep everything (yes, EERYTHING) that he isn't supposed to chew on, off the floor. My kids have to keep their toys in their rooms, bedroom doors shut. Remote kept on TOP of the TV armoire. Shoes put away - you get the picture. Kodee is good about not going out of his way to get forbidden items (like, he doesn't pull the throw pillows of the couch, etc, but he'll chew the h*ll out of one if you leave it on the floor!
) Kodee isn't left unattended, either. If I can't watch him, he is in the kitchen w/the baby gate up in the door. Makes life much easier. Also, everytime you catch your dog chewing on something inappropriate, re-direct him/her to one of their toys. I did this consistenly w/Kodee since I got him. No harsh corrections, just a verbal "No", and give them something of theirs to chew, and praise them when they chew on that.

Good luck and hang in there! Thanks for rescuing a dog!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Originally Posted By: akgriffini keep bones, or rawhide bones around for her.
I also meant to add, if your dog is getting "real" bones in addition to the rawhide ones, they MUST be un-cooked, not smoked, etc. The only bones a dog should get must be raw/uncooked. Even the smoked ones you get at the petstore are "cooked." The heat makes the bones brittle, so they can splinter off and puncture the dog's esophogus, stomach, intestine, etc. This can also be fatal. Raw bones are ok.

Personally, my dog gets raw chicken on the bone a couple times a week, and occassionally a raw marrow bone (cow leg bone sliced about 1-1/2 inches thick - I get them from the meat dept at Hyvee's really cheap. He chews on them till he gets the marrow out, and I let him keep the bone for a day or two to gnaw on, then I throw them away. It is possible for a dog to break a tooth on them, though, which is why I don't give them very often.

Just wanted to warn you about "cooked" bones. Most people have it backwards and think the cooked ones are the safe ones - not true.

·
Registered
145 Posts
re the raw bones, I've heard it's a good idea to drop in boiling water for a minute just to kill bacteria, is this true?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Originally Posted By: SAM123re the raw bones, I've heard it's a good idea to drop in boiling water for a minute just to kill bacteria, is this true?
Not necessary, at all.

When I brought my older rescue home, I lost 2 remote controls and a couple of pairs of sunglasses. Other things too, but mostly stuff that I had touched or worn. I learned to keep things out of his reach until he learned what's what. Before I got him he only lived in kennels. Now I use bones and Kongs. Raw bones are a great way to keep the pack occupied for a good hour when I need some time to myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts