German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max is 8.5 mo old. He has been on Acana since the breeder (we got him at 10 weeks and continued this.) I usually can barely get the bowl down and he's scarfing the food out. The past week....not so much. It's hit or miss if he finishes it. I end up leaving it out and he may graze at it until dinner. He will take treats etc (and no I'm not giving him too many treats and that's filling him up...lol.) I'm wondering if maybe he's not liking the food anymore. It is a pain for me to get it because I have to order it online so if I needed to switch I'd love to find something just as high quality that I can get at Petco etc. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Max is 8.5 mo old. He has been on Acana since the breeder (we got him at 10 weeks and continued this.) I usually can barely get the bowl down and he's scarfing the food out. The past week....not so much. It's hit or miss if he finishes it. I end up leaving it out and he may graze at it until dinner. He will take treats etc (and no I'm not giving him too many treats and that's filling him up...lol.) I'm wondering if maybe he's not liking the food anymore. It is a pain for me to get it because I have to order it online so if I needed to switch I'd love to find something just as high quality that I can get at Petco etc. Any suggestions?
Are you sure he is healthy and there isn't something that is bothering him medically? Loss of appetite is usually one of the first things that something is wrong. How is his activity level?
All my GSDs have high food drive so I often wonder why some owners end up with picky eaters.
I think it starts with someone in your situation. If you don't want your dog to become a picky eater simply not feed him for a day or even two. Dogs won't starve themselves. (That is assuming they don't have a medical issue.)
However, you did say you would prefer to switch to something from Petco for convenience. There are a lot of brands comparable in quality to Acana at Petco. Merrick, Nature's Variety, Wellness, Natural Balance, Evo, Innova - those are just the ones I've used, there are others. Petco is a lot better than Petsmart in this respect. Brands that are within the same price range are usually similar in quality and you can try different sample sizes to see which one your dog prefers. I like to feed my puppies and young dogs a variety of brands: makes them used to variety, different protein sources, they don't get used to one brand if the formula changes or is discontinued or recalled, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks....he's definitely OK...as far as I can tell. He is acting up in his usual puppy ways, drinking well, stooling and peeing well. He is very normal, active and playful. I will look into some of those brands....thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts