German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asked by my friend Cindy if I could ask the folks here about recommendations for feeding her pug, Carbine.

Carbine is currently on a prescription diet (Hill's) due to his medical issues - he gets bladder stones, has had three surgeries for them, and is currently on Paladia.

She would love to feed him either a home-cooked diet, or a combination of home-cooked and quality kibble, but doesn't know where to start due to the fact that his diet is restricted because of the bladder stones.

Any suggestions would be very much welcome and I will pass any responses on to her. :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
If she's serious about the home-cooked, I would recommend her to a neat little book called Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs by Lew Olson.

It has a lot of diets based on specific medical needs, and bladder issues/stones has its own section.

It only has two possible sample diets, but I think its a great place to start (and a generally good book- lots of good info in a very simple, easy to read format... so she doesn't have to be a biochemist to understand anything in it!).

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I have been asked by my friend Cindy if I could ask the folks here about recommendations for feeding her pug, Carbine.

Carbine is currently on a prescription diet (Hill's) due to his medical issues - he gets bladder stones, has had three surgeries for them, and is currently on Paladia.

She would love to feed him either a home-cooked diet, or a combination of home-cooked and quality kibble, but doesn't know where to start due to the fact that his diet is restricted because of the bladder stones.

Any suggestions would be very much welcome and I will pass any responses on to her. :)
What types of stones? Struvite or Calcium Oxalate?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sable123 - here's her response.

He started with the calcium oxilate stones and then after getting MRCA from being in the hospital so long, he got struvite stones. :-( He has been stone free for almost a year now.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
sable123 - here's her response.
Wow, poor little dog. The dog has probably had a history of UTI as well. The struvites are probably not the real problem.

This dog needs a lower protein, lower fat diet and needs to drink water. Have your friend put water bowls in a few rooms in the house as a way to stimulate water consumption. I few drops of apple cider vinegar is a good idea as well.

If the dog has been stone free for a year then I would stick with what the Vet has prescribed. if she wants to make homemade food then just find the recipe for Spots Stew and make batches and freeze them. A wet diet is probably a better choice than kibble actually for this problem.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sable - She would like to feed something better quality than the Hill's Science Diet prescription food she is getting from her vet (at a ridiculous price, I'm sure). Any suggestions for a diet, wet or otherwise?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
sable - She would like to feed something better quality than the Hill's Science Diet prescription food she is getting from her vet (at a ridiculous price, I'm sure). Any suggestions for a diet, wet or otherwise?
Spots Stew in cans. It comes in large cans. That should be fine for a pug. It is made by Halo.

I would avoid kibble.

That is a very easy food to digest. I have used it to wean puppies.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will pass it on to her.

She has spent $22,000 on this dog since August 2009, between the stones and chemo and surgeries. He is a very lucky dog to have her. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts