German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2yr old german shepherd, ive had him since 12weks old. he is a GREAT dog. listens well, loves kids, other dogs, etc.... he is really the best dog ive had. so he is now 2, and we had our first child, she is now a month old... our shepherd now seems protective, which is expected, but now also seems irratable maybe? he is still the same loving dog to our family, but we have noticed him growling sometimes and showing his teeth on some ocations, to mainly strangers....its like hes not as friendly to introduce. is this cause the new baby? will it change? what should i do, do i punish him? even had a time a friend who he knows and seen a few times, started petting him, kind of rough, just to play a little, and he showed his teeth....he never used to do that..... thoughts anyone? thanks so much

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
If this is completely abnormal for him take to the vet, he may have some kind of underlying issue.

·
Registered
424 Posts
he may be stressed. lots of things change in a home when a baby arrives. you and your wife are probably stressed a lot more frequently and he is picking up on it. Routines change, HIS routines change, dogs generally are suddenly 'put on the back burner' since a baby takes up so much time...make this experience as positive as you can for him. I recently introduced my Malachi to my 1yr old, and started by rewarding him with treats while kneeling next to him with my daughter in my arms. I'd reward him anytime he was close to me with the baby. This way he associates her with good things.

Of course, like Nigel said, he may be exhibiting this behavior out of the blue because he doesn't feel well or is sick. Not a bad idea to take him for a check up if he hasn't been in a while..

I'm thinking it's probably stress related, and yes he could be being protective of the new 'pack member' (the baby) towards non-members of the 'pack'.
Hopefully some others will have some advice for you as well..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts