German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2yr old german shepherd, ive had him since 12weks old. he is a GREAT dog. listens well, loves kids, other dogs, etc.... he is really the best dog ive had. so he is now 2, and we had our first child, she is now a month old... our shepherd now seems protective, which is expected, but now also seems irratable maybe? he is still the same loving dog to our family, but we have noticed him growling sometimes and showing his teeth on some ocations, to mainly strangers....its like hes not as friendly to introduce. is this cause the new baby? will it change? what should i do, do i punish him? even had a time a friend who he knows and seen a few times, started petting him, kind of rough, just to play a little, and he showed his teeth....he never used to do that..... thoughts anyone? thanks so much

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Your gsd is going thru a big adjustment and he is taking his role seriously as "big brother" and protector. And like a big brother, he can be over protective, he feels himself to be on duty 24/7, which is stressful and is tiring him out, so he isn't his usual pre-baby sociable self. Try to make time just for him away from his "charge". I would also suggest you consider taking classes with him and review his obedience and manners. Also I would suggest you tactfully ask you friend not to play rough with him. If your gsd like to fetch, your friend could play a game of fetch with him instead.

·
Registered
159 Posts
A 2 yr old pup that aggressively protects a human child does not understand his rank in the household, and that is a problem. Sounds like a bite waiting to happen.
IMO it's time to go back to the basics - that is, making sure you are living with this pup in a manner that makes it clear in his head where he ranks in the pack.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have a 2yr old german shepherd, ive had him since 12weks old. he is a GREAT dog. listens well, loves kids, other dogs, etc.... he is really the best dog ive had. so he is now 2, and we had our first child, she is now a month old... our shepherd now seems protective, which is expected, but now also seems irratable maybe? he is still the same loving dog to our family, but we have noticed him growling sometimes and showing his teeth on some ocations, to mainly strangers....its like hes not as friendly to introduce. is this cause the new baby? will it change? what should i do, do i punish him? even had a time a friend who he knows and seen a few times, started petting him, kind of rough, just to play a little, and he showed his teeth....he never used to do that..... thoughts anyone? thanks so much

Exactly who besides strangers is he growling at? I agree, he just may be stressed. I also agree that contacting a trainer who can evaluate the dog and his manners would be a great idea, and don't wait until it gets worse. DO IT NOW. It was alittle concerning when you said "mostly strangers" which tells me he's growling at maybe a family member? Not acceptable either ways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts