German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i’m making my way back into raw feeding after nearly a decade off. previously, while on a tight budget with more time and space, i prepared it myself (no base mix, etc) for two 65# & 85# dogs...

now, down to 1 dog who hovers around 57# and a lot less time/space... i’ll be doing 50/50 split of pre made frozen raw (Primal) and homemade using THK base. Most often Primal in AM, homemade in PM...all homemade on weekends.

7yr old neutered male. On kibble he is consuming around 950 calories a day. i’m going to transition him rather conservatively, initially at 2% of his body weight in raw until i figure things out. all of that said - THK’s guidelines measures in cups.

maybe i’m just tired but i’m having a time trying to figure out which formula to follow....and how to cover his daily needs between the 2 meals.

any thoughts or experience in how to keep this simple?

·
Super Moderator
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
AM 10 nuggets or 1 patty of Primal
PM .5c THK + approx 1c raw (or xx oz / lbs?)
does that sound right?
also... if Primal is “balanced”, can i simply stick to RMB or MM in the PM meal?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Whooof. I can't even understand half of what you say. You're talking dog language, and I haven't learned it yet, especially in the raw diet category. :D I'll just watch and see what other people say.

One question: Is your dog actively working, or is he just a companion. Just curious.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I used THK and followed their guidelines based on activity level and target weight, not actual weight. It was pretty close to the right amount from the beginning. One dog gained a little and one lost, so I adjusted a small amount for each until I found an ideal amount. It took several months and was not as complicated as I thought it would be. Now, one is on THK and one is on an allergy diet.

·
Super Moderator
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One question: Is your dog actively working, or is he just a companion. Just curious.
Companion.
His size, age and activity level is what’s given me the opportunity ($) to go this route with him now.
He walks a mile a day, to a park where he runs off leash about 10 minutes.
On weekends we hike...anywhere from 2-10 miles.
I’m in the easy years.

·
Super Moderator
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used THK and followed their guidelines based on activity level and target weight, not actual weight. It was pretty close to the right amount from the beginning. One dog gained a little and one lost, so I adjusted a small amount for each until I found an ideal amount. It took several months and was not as complicated as I thought it would be. Now, one is on THK and one is on an allergy diet.
THK complete diets or base mix?
i’d be using the base and adding meat... the amount of meat being the tricky part.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Companion.
His size, age and activity level is what’s given me the opportunity ($) to go this route with him now.
He walks a mile a day, to a park where he runs off leash about 10 minutes.
On weekends we hike...anywhere from 2-10 miles.
I’m in the easy years.
He's a very active companion. That explains the large amount of calories. Mind another question? I'm trying to learn: what is the normal amount of calories for an adult GSD?

·
Super Moderator
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's a very active companion. That explains the large amount of calories. Mind another question? I'm trying to learn: what is the normal amount of calories for an adult GSD?
i’d actually consider him pretty average... compared to my others and when he was younger. for comparison, he’s been on 1200 cals til a couple years ago.

here is a canine calorie calculator you can check out: Calorie Calculator for Dogs

·
Registered
521 Posts
i’d actually consider him pretty average... compared to my others and when he was younger. for comparison, he’s been on 1200 cals before.

here is a canine calorie calculator you can check out: Calorie Calculator for Dogs
Thanks. I love all those charts and stuff. Sorry, I'm not being a help and starting a rabbit trail at the same time. Ignore me.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
THK complete diets or base mix?
i’d be using the base and adding meat... the amount of meat being the tricky part.
I used the base mix and added raw meat, but my older dog has IBS and the raw meat was bothering her. Now she is on full THK with protein added. I use grain free because she came to me on grain free as a rescue and was on it until age 6 when she got cancer. I switched her to a grain diet and she eventually developed IBS. I finally decided to go back to grain free and the symptoms went away. This isn’t quite what you asked but it seems she did better on THK than she did on raw.

·
Super Moderator
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used the base mix and added raw meat, but my older dog has IBS and the raw meat was bothering her. Now she is on full THK with protein added. I use grain free because she came to me on grain free as a rescue and was on it until age 6 when she got cancer. I switched her to a grain diet and she eventually developed IBS. I finally decided to go back to grain free and the symptoms went away. This isn’t quite what you asked but it seems she did better on THK than she did on raw.
no problem, thanks for the additional info. Keys has periodically gotten raw before and has at least done well a couple meals at a time, so fingers crossed he makes the transition well.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
no problem, thanks for the additional info. Keys has periodically gotten raw before and has at least done well a couple meals at a time, so fingers crossed he makes the transition well.
He will. You know how to feed raw and he tolerated it before. It’s a good choice.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
I like to mix things up and feed raw about once a week and have no issues even if on occassion go to hk. Primal is a complete they have calculator I believe how much to feed in pounds per body weight. Max 84lbs he would eat 2lbs that could be converted to approx 4 cups. Luna slightly less. The honest kitchen base meals do have peas i am surprised the kindly option has it in there. The complete grain in hk has no peas. The amount of protein is in cups to add to the base mix on back of the hk base mix box. Dr. Harvey’s has a protein calculator to let you know how much protein to their different formulas. I was baking turkey burgers in the oven I know the dogs thought is was their primal patties - which I do not bake they must of smelled the same Max never was so glued to the oven. They both were puzzled and thought it was ther food. Lol!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts