German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so most of you know Jarie was recently spayed, and after the surgery, we found out she was having a problem clotting, second surgery, blood tranfusions, tests run, found out she has VWD.

She is fine now. But I have lots of questions, and hoping someone might have some answers for me.

First, a little back ground.
Jarie turned 2 years old last February. Since we have had her at 11 weeks old, she has had many health problems. She never had good bowel movements, very seldom were they watery, but mushy, yes, bloody, jelly type, never consistent good poop. Many different food trials, tests, Ghiardia, Sibo.

Her coat has always been a little brittle, especially on the rump area, right above the tail. She has always shed like crazy, and doesn't carry a lot of coat.

Her anal area has always been red, and a little raw looking, and where there should be hair, there wasn't, so when she would walk away from us, we can actually see the redness, and bare area around the anal area. (sorry so detailed).

When she was 11 months old, all of her black toe nails started turning white. Some type of deficiency? I don't know, but have been completely white since.

Personality wise, perfect. A real sweetheart. Active, energetic, loves everyone and everybody.

She was diagnosed with IBD.
When we put Jake on Evo RM, we decided to try it for Jarie, but figured it really would make things worse, because of the high fat content, and IBD really doesn't mix.
Well, to our surprise, the EVO is the only food she has done well on. She has been on it since October of last year. Her stool still was not perfect, but better then it ever was.

Now for my need to know answers.
Since the day she came home from having surgery, her stool has been PERFECT! We have bouncy poop. She is very consistent and on a schedule only going once or twice a day like the other dogs. She loves her food, and is excited to eat, which she never was before.

Her coat is no longer brittle, and doesn't shed as much. Her coat is getting thicker. The redness around her anal area is gone. In fact, she has now grown hair there.

I noticed last night while trimming her nails, some black pigment is coming back.

Ken and I are just amazed at the difference. But why? Nothing has changed except she was spayed, and we found out she had vWD. They had to give her blood transfusions. But that is it. I am the type of person that needs to know why things happen. Is this one of those unsolved mysteries, that will never be solved?

Any insight, anyone?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
This is just a guess, and again, I'm going to compare it to what happened in a human who I know (my mom) -

Maybe Jarie had some sort of deficiency that the blood transfusions corrected? My mom has a chronic low platelet condition and has had problems recently requiring multiple blood transfusions. Ever since the transfusions, her fingernails have been growing like crazy and her arthritis doesn't hurt as much!

It almost sounds like the same thing with Jarie - that somehow the blood transfusions gave her something that she was missing or deficient in before!

Glad she's feeling better!!

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I would think the blood transfusion may have helped correct any deficiencies vWB may have caused in her. I know my Dad ended up having to have one last week and the difference in him has been HUGE from the past several months.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interesting. Thanks. Ya know, I hadn't thought about the blood transfusions, I was just thinking it had something to do with the spay.

You guys make a lot of sense, especially with your experiences.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am happy she has done so much improving, and it seems like from what you guys are saying, it is not unheard of from seeing such rapid improvement. I hope this continues.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I am also thinking some sort of deficiency...maybe iron and zinc? If you really want to know and its probably a good idea since if its something her body isn't making naturally or is using in the wrong way then the blood transfusion will only be a temp fix...have another CBC and chem panel done so you can compare to her previous pre spay and pre transfusion blood work to see if there are any big differences.

However, iron and zinc specific tests probably weren't run but you will be able to see if there is any major platelet or RBC differences.

I know you have a wonderful vet, does he have any theories as to why the big difference.

And
on the improvements!!!

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAANHow weird and great-maybe we should all be getting transfusions.
LOL. That is what Ken and I said. Maybe I could make all my little pains go away with a transfusion!

Originally Posted By: AvamomI am also thinking some sort of deficiency...maybe iron and zinc? If you really want to know and its probably a good idea since if its something her body isn't making naturally or is using in the wrong way then the blood transfusion will only be a temp fix...have another CBC and chem panel done so you can compare to her previous pre spay and pre transfusion blood work to see if there are any big differences.

However, iron and zinc specific tests probably weren't run but you will be able to see if there is any major platelet or RBC differences.

I know you have a wonderful vet, does he have any theories as to why the big difference.

And
on the improvements!!!
Good point. I don't want it to be temporary. I haven't yet brought it up to my vet. We have to bring her in next month for a checkup, so I will inquire about it then.

At least now I have an idea that she is deficient in something, so now just to find out what.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
My guess would be hormones. Many human females have terrible trouble and end up having hysterectomies and the problems go away.

It almost sounds to me like Cushing's disease with the hair problems and patterns.

I am glad she is doing better and hope it continues.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAANHow weird and great-maybe we should all be getting transfusions.

Maybe. I donate blood. But I'm often tired and cranky. So people who get my blood might feel worse?

So would the people around them. I can be REALLY cranky sometimes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts