German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I will be getting a new female German Shepherd pup soon. The very reputable kennel she is coming from is retiring after 30 years and will be re-homing their beautiful adults. The father of my pup is one of the adults being re-homed. I met him and he was incredibly socialized and spectacular. However, I’m concerned about raising a new pup with an adult dog In a new environment for both of them. Can anyone give me some pros and cons if I decide to take them both? There are no other pets in the home, sadly I lost my 11 year old German Shepherd to spleen tumors a few months ago.

Thank you for any help,
Carol

·
Registered
241 Posts
Honestly, quality breeders dogs are among the most socialized and friendly dogs I have seen as so many strangers come and go. I would bet it goes just fine, especially since you've had GSD in the past. Personally I'd arrange to spend some time with the older dog over a few days before the handoff. What does the breeder say about your concerns?

As an aside, I'd never heard of this situation and I'd prefer that when the breeder decides to retire (from breeding), that they fix those that need it and let their breeding stock age in place. Seems too much like the dogs were just a commodity/business but what do I know

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I am a firm believer that pups should be separated from adults except for brief, occasional supervised time together for pet, sport and working homes because the pup can be dominated or will likely become doggie finding you boring compared to the adult dog because you really can't compete.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
Thank you for your insights. The owners of the kennel are older and the husband just passed from cancer. I’m not sure if this played a role in shutting down the kennel. They just neutered the male I’m interested in taking. He’s 5 or 6. They have an excellent reputation here in Oregon, and I was so impressed with how they run their small kennel. Anyway, just trying to decide what to do. Thank you again for responding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a firm believer that pups should be separated from adults except for brief, occasional supervised time together for pet, sport and working homes because the pup can be dominated or will likely become doggie finding you boring compared to the adult dog because you really can't compete.
Hi Chip,
That’s an interesting perspective. One I hadn’t considered. The older male (the sire of my pup) is also a therapy dog. You gave me something to think about. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts