German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Khaleesi is 11 weeks old now. I was wondering if it is fine to put my pup in her wire crate for large breed we got her? Or go with a kennel type one?

She is in there over night while we finish housebreaking her. She actually has had no accidents in the crate or in the house....knock on wood.

When she is in the crate she will bark to let us know she needs to go outside and poop or pee. The crate is basically her home when she is not outside or running around the house.

We take her every evening to go on long walks with us. What do you all think? If a kennel...why? Keep using crate....why? thx.

The breeder gave us proof that hip dysplasia does not run in her history...IF I wanted to a test....would an x ray by a vet work? if not what is needed? thx.;)

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Your Khalessi is only 11 weeks, so I would keep her in the small crate at least at night. The risk with putting her in the big wire kennel is that she will potty in one area and still have a dry place to sleep - so it could put the housetraining back. For the hips, an x-ray is needed by your vet and it should be sent in to OFA. Even though hip dysplasia does not run in her history she could still develop it that is why dogs need to be x-rayed. She is still young for the x-ray, the OFA site (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) and your vet could tell you the best age to have her x-rayed.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
with the wire crate, they usually come with a separator so you can adjust the space she has as she grows. We have the adult wire crate and just put the separator in there to restrict our pups space to he has the right amount of room to lay down and sleep but not potty. He hollers pretty loudly to let us know when he needs to go out. We're using the plastic crate he arrived in until he grows out of it, which by my guesstimate will be in about another week or two.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i got my pup when he was 9 weeks old. he was in a crate that
could house a full grown Great Dan without a divider.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx everyone. Just wanted to make sure. Like I said she has been really good about letting us know she needs to pee or poo. I'll keep the same crate. I will find out what age the vet can get me those X-rays. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts