German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everybody.
I don't know if im posting in the right forum but i think that the breeders will know the most and i would appreciate all the help i can get. I'm military and me and my wife got our own first gsd Sasha couple weeks ago. She is 16 months and we got her from people who bred her when she was 9 months old. . She is the most amazing dog ever. My question is that we got her from the people who said she is akc registered. At the time of us adopting her they couldn't find her akc papers and only gave us the paperwork they received from the breeder. Her old owners gave us a contract they reciever that her dad was akc with his akc# and her moms akc# and all that. On the contract was a part of where it was blank for what kind of name she was supposed to be registered with akc with, although that was blank. I was told she came with the microchip as a puppy when they purchased her which was actually written in on the paperwork. My thing is Sasha's previous owners said they will get me her akc paperwork but i have called them multiple times and they wont get back to me. I know they are blowing me of. They got a lot of our money.. So im just wondering if there is any way that with the paperwork me and my wife were provided by sashas previous owners would i be able to somehow obtain her akc # and her certificate. Im supper interested in taking her to akc agility events and stuff and would love to be able to take her but need the akc paperwork. So thats our story. Thank you in advance for reading my LONG thread and hope to hear some input from anybody that can help. Would greately appreachiate that. Thank you again.

She is a beautiful red/black long coat shepherd. ill try and post some pictures of her.

·
Banned
19 Posts
How much did you pay for her? The fact that they breed her at 9 months speaks volumes about their lack of character. I'd get as much information about these scumbags as possible, and get an attorney and sue them especially if they're breeders. Or maybe even report them to some sort of law enforcement, breeding a dog at 9 months seems inhumane in cruel to me; however, I'm not a breeder and not an expert. Sounds like it may be possible that she isn't pure bred due to the details you provided. These people "seem"cruel and pulled a fast one seems like. Someone will have better advice to than "I", I use to be in the military ( I remember getting all those briefs on creditors and used car salesmen who preyed on service members, too bad they never gave us ones on corrupt backyard breeders). I wish you and your dog the best and sorry that this happened. Someone will be able to help you out in this forum there are a lot of knowledgeable people. I'm just angry to hear this happen to ya.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
These people are either puppymill or back yard breeders and there's nothing criminal about breeding your dog that early. It's not anything an ethical, good breeder would do though. I sure hope you didn't pay much for her.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath about getting the paperwork from them in this lifetime. You can check with the AKC to see if she's ever been registered and go from there. You say she's microchipped, so see if they have any record of it. You say you have the parents numbers, so you should see if the litter was ever registered.

That said, you can always get her a PAL number with AKC, which will allow you to compete in any performance trial you want, just not in the breed ring. You will have to have her spayed first.

Be glad that your dog is fabulous and know that you aren't limited by these people not getting back to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
them breeding her at so young was one of the reasons we didnt think twice about adopting her. wanted to get her out of a household like that.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
them breeding her at so young was one of the reasons we didnt think twice about adopting her. wanted to get her out of a household like that.
The problem with this line of reasoning is that you just supported them and they will just do it again. The only way to get this to stop, is to stop buying their puppies.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath on getting papers. Generally if you go into something like this already knowing the breeder is shady and you want papers, make sure you have them in your hand when the dog/money is exchanged. Without the originals transferred to you, you could still get the ILP/PAL number and compete.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
You can contact AKC with all your questions. They are very willing to help. They will be able to tell you if the litter was ever registered. You may have the registration papers in your hand and not realize it. I am trying to understand from your description, what paper you have. Have you taken her to your vet yet? Have her scanned and confirm the microchip number. AKC will be able to tell you the breeder of her, if you dont already know. Does she have a tattoo? Just wondering.
You dont need AKC papers to compete in sports. You only need AKC for conformation classes. Without her AKC reg papers from the breeder/previous owner, she will need to be spayed prior to being able to register with the alternative AKC registration.

some good information here:
American Kennel Club - Future Dog Owners

AKC Canine Partners. AKC program for Canine Partners.

Purebred Alternative Listing
American Kennel Club - Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the type of paperwork i have is the one that her previous owners revieved from the breeder the bought her from. its the puppy sale contract. its the agreement between the seller and the buyers.(the people we bought her from)it has all the information of the breeder and just some on her previous owners. there is the description of the dog part where her parents akc and sv numbers are, but where its written

buyer agrees upon purchase of the puppy that the bitch will be registered with the following name .................vom k something. where the periods go is blank. underneath that is her microchip number avid ##########. so im just wondering if i can do anything with that first page of the paperwork to get her akc since her previous owners claim they registered her but couldnt find her paperwork.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
" She is the most amazing dog ever"

Sounds like you are the victim of a BYB for sure.

I don't know what you payed for her, but honestly those papers won't do much for you anyway. All they might do is prove she has AKC registered sire and dam. Doesn't tell anything about temperament or health.

If you love her, keep her and, please have her spayed.

If you're willing to give her back, you can work on breeder.

Unless you have something in writing, you may just be wasting your time.

Papers will not make her a great dog, but loving, training and caring for her with good food and vet care may give you priceless years ahead.

I wouldn't be less proud of her because she's paperless.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
She's beautiful! I got my GSD at 13 months of age from a man who loved his dog very much, but could not keep him his because of his personal situation. He was a freebe ( after interviews) and came with his crate food and toys...not to mention all vet records! He refused money, but I slipped a $100.00 bill into his pocket and told him to donate it to his church. That he would do. My boy is full blooded, and supposed to be related to Joe Biden's dog :) The former owner did not want to pay extra for his papers. I got him neutered, and is now in beginning doggie school. I guess the point I am making is that papers are important for breeding.....but not for loving them and having a great companion. Good luck..but just love her! I can try to post a pic of my Saxon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Does it have her breeders name or contact information? Or am I misunderstanding and they (the people you bought her from) are her breeder? If you have their name, or can track them down through her parents akc numbers, maybe they will help you get her papers? Or maybe the breeder contact info is on the chip? At the very least it would be nice to have more info about the parents, temperament, ect. Even if you can't get papers at least the option is still available to compete. She's a beautiful girl. Glad she is in a better home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i got her from people who got her from a breeder. i have the puppy sale contract they recieved at their time of purchase from the breeder. it has the parents akc numbers and her microchip number. I already contacted akc and they helped me out a bit. they looked her up and said that there was an application sent in to register her but it didnt go through. so i have been trying to reach the poeple we got sasha from but i guess since they lied to us that she is akc reg they arent getting back to me. i called akc and they told me to write a statement explaining exactly what happened so ill see what happens from there. hopefully it all works out good. You mentioned somethign about finding out about her parents and their temoeraments. how can i do that with their akc numbers???

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
If you have Sasha's "Breeders name" On those papers..(not the people you got her from but her breeder) I would contact them vs the people you got sasha from.

If you have the parents AKC numbers, you 'may' be able to find whether they were ofa'd or not, on the ofa database.

You can also go into the AKC site, and probably purchase pedigree or look for them via that sight.

I would also keep in contact with AKC since they seem to be willing to help you out.

Did AKC say "what" the problem with registering her was?

Your best bet on finding out information on her parents is to contact the original breeder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts