German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lulu is 11 1/2 weeks old. She is VERY mouthy and bites and does not know when to stop. We have tried redirection and that didn't work. We tried squirting her with a water bottle when she would bite and she thought it was fun so that didn't work either. We are now treating her more like mom did when she would get too rough by scruffing her with a shake and a firm NO. Sometimes that works but most of the time we have to pin her down until she relaxes. She is not being mean, I think she is just playing. This seems to be helping but I hate to do it. I know it isn't hurting her but I feel bad. Does anyone have any other/additional/better ideas for controlling this behavior? I think she is testing her place in the pack because she is more responsive to my husband. I know we will get through this but my poor hands and forearms aren't so sure!! I would love to hear any suggestions you may have.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
stop pinning your pup down. when my pup was going
through the nipping stage i would pull him back (gently)
and say "no biting". i pulled him back by holding
some neck fur. never, never did i shake him.

Lulu is 11 1/2 weeks old. She is VERY mouthy and bites and does not know when to stop. We have tried redirection and that didn't work. We tried squirting her with a water bottle when she would bite and she thought it was fun so that didn't work either. We are now treating her more like mom did when she would get too rough by scruffing her with a shake and a firm NO. Sometimes that works but most of the time we have to pin her down until she relaxes. She is not being mean, I think she is just playing. This seems to be helping but I hate to do it. I know it isn't hurting her but I feel bad. Does anyone have any other/additional/better ideas for controlling this behavior? I think she is testing her place in the pack because she is more responsive to my husband. I know we will get through this but my poor hands and forearms aren't so sure!! I would love to hear any suggestions you may have.

·
Registered
650 Posts
When you redirect, do you just give her a toy? Or do you actively engage her with the toy? The best thing to do is to always keep a toy or tug on you, and when she starts biting, stuff the toy into her mouth and engage her in a nice long game of tug. Or fetch. Or whatever it is that she likes. That way she learns that if she wants to play with you...biting at your hands isn't the way to go about it. She has to bring you a toy and then you'll play tug with her.

Barring that...have patience! Mouthiness is a phase that puppies go through and she'll grow out of it soon. (Or you could invest in some quality leather long sleeves and gloves, haha.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is extremely rough. She draws blood and leaves bruises. She gets this wild look in her eyes and will jump toward me and if she makes contact there is likely to be blood. I think the tug of war just gets her more riled up. She loves to play it but we are going to lay off of that for now until we can get the biting under control.

Doggiedad, I do what you said first before I do anything else. If she comes back at me with her teeth, I hold her until she calms down. She is not just mouthing, she is actually biting and leaving puncture wounds.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
we all have been there, cuts scratches teeth marks...no fun but patience and consistency and eventually you'll have normal looking hands and arms

when you redirect with a toy make sure you aren't just handing the pup a toy and ignoring it..she wants to play with YOU not a toy. If the pup is ignoring the toy then walk away game over. Make sure she is getting plenty of mental stimulation along with exercise. is she a high drive WL?

this is a great thread if you haven't read it yet http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/85888-teaching-bite-inhibition.html

·
Registered
109 Posts
My pup is pretty mouthy too.. we've tried teaching him "no bite" and redirecting him with toys. We don't really have much luck. He gets all hyped up and takes playing a bit far. (He actually just tore my shorts heh). The only thing that has worked for us so far are bully sticks, but he goes through them really quickly so we're looking forward to the day when he understands. Our trainer recommended spraying our hands/body with this stuff that dogs don't like, but we haven't tried it yet..

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
The tug will wear the puppy out! Get a couple of good french linen two handled tugs And let the pup win! When you want the game to end take the tugs and put them up...they should not be left out for the pup to chew on, it is only when you want to engage the pup with you.
If they have a tug in their mouth, they won't be biting you.
This game should not be played with teething pups, then you need some good fresh raw knucklebones from a butcher for pup to chew on. There are some balls made of fleece or flannel that are great for teething pups, too. Light tug, more prey play when teething.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My pup is pretty mouthy too.. we've tried teaching him "no bite" and redirecting him with toys. We don't really have much luck. He gets all hyped up and takes playing a bit far. (He actually just tore my shorts heh). The only thing that has worked for us so far are bully sticks, but he goes through them really quickly so we're looking forward to the day when he understands. Our trainer recommended spraying our hands/body with this stuff that dogs don't like, but we haven't tried it yet..

We are have an 11 weeks old. We have tried Fooey ultra-bitter spray and he actually likes it. We play with him and try to redirect his biting with no luck. Sarge spends about an hour and half during day in his crate when my DH leaves to go to work and I come home. When he beings is biting tirade we put him in his crate with no fuss and give him a chew toy and bone. What are "Bully Sticks"?

Thanks
Vicki

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
we all have been there, cuts scratches teeth marks...no fun but patience and consistency and eventually you'll have normal looking hands and arms

when you redirect with a toy make sure you aren't just handing the pup a toy and ignoring it..she wants to play with YOU not a toy. If the pup is ignoring the toy then walk away game over. Make sure she is getting plenty of mental stimulation along with exercise. is she a high drive WL?

this is a great thread if you haven't read it yet [URL="http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/85888-teaching-bite-inhibition.html"]http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/85888-teaching-bite-inhibition.html[/URL]
:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have read and read......however I am doing everything I know, trainer suggested holding his snout and saying NO BITE. I redirect and PLAY with him with his toys....I have tried the OUCH, he oblivious and when I do reprimand him he sort of barks at me and comes at my forearms with more gusto!

I am in tears tonight, my forearms are a mess, and I can not wear anything but boots or my legs would be raw.....when he is around other at home he bites them and their shoes....it's awful. I am finding it hard to socialize him because he bites everyone when they pet him.

Any serious suggestions??????? He is also 11 1/2 weeks old.

Potty training/crate is going slow........he doesn't signal me he has to go at all, I take him out all day every hour...

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Don't hold pup by the snout, just ramps him up to go more. Take the pup out for a hike, wear him out before he wears you out!
Toys, balls, tugs, bones, ragplay anything to pacify the shark teeth.
If he is overtired, he'll act like a brat, so I would time-out him in the crate with a nice raw knucklebone.
He shouldn't have to signal you to go outside to potty, just bring him out to the same place every time and don't play with him, key word to go. Then praise/play/party after he goes. He'll get the hang of it...just be patient!

·
Registered
174 Posts
My pup bites a lot too. We went through a really bad phase with it, similar to what you're going through. She even liked the bitter apple taste we tried on our hands.

The best thing, like suggested by others, has been to engage her with a toy. But instead of giving her a toy every time she bit me, I would say 'get your toy, get your toy' and bring her to a rope or ball, then start a game for about 10 minutes. After a few times, she began nudging me with toys instead of biting and I give her lots of praise for this. She still rips my skin every now and then but each time she nips, I remind her to get a toy and she happily runs off to find one.

If rope play is too aggressive with your dog, try playing fetch instead, or make up new games. Today I took our old Christmas tree box and blocked the space between a couch and chair and taught her 'hup' to jump over. We played for almost an hour. She was so happy and never tried to bite.

He basically just wants your attention, so play with him and praise him for everything that's not biting.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is not unusual so dont despair... just try to keep a positive attitude that this too will pass. We have BEEN THERE... so dont think there is something wrong. Sounds like he needs more physical and mental exercise, and for a few more weeks you need to keep toys in all you pockets be a tug game fanatic!!!! this is how they play right now... you need to be persistent and patient in redirecting with toys, and when he seems over the top and you cant stand any more, put him in his crate for a rest with a big chew toy... in as neutral a tone as you can... he isnt bad, you all just need a break... a few quiet moments in a crate WILL keep your attitude good and give his a chance to settle down. Then let him out get a ball and work on fetch or a tug and do something fun.

Search on biting... you will see we all posted here at one point or another!!! Hang in there

It sounds like my guy who was so excited to go outside he forgot to GO outside. I had to learn to take two trips. One was exciting and then we would wait for his business. Take his most favorite food OUTSIDE with you and if he pees have a big party and the best treat ever... OUTSIDE. Help him make the link between outside potty and great rewards!!!! I kept a tupperware by the door so I could grab it on the way out. This doesnt last forever so dont stress. The rule is it is easier to teach a dog to DO something (peeoutside= huge reward outside) than NOT do something

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I have read and read......however I am doing everything I know, trainer suggested holding his snout and saying NO BITE. I redirect and PLAY with him with his toys....I have tried the OUCH, he oblivious and when I do reprimand him he sort of barks at me and comes at my forearms with more gusto!

I am in tears tonight, my forearms are a mess, and I can not wear anything but boots or my legs would be raw.....when he is around other at home he bites them and their shoes....it's awful. I am finding it hard to socialize him because he bites everyone when they pet him.

Any serious suggestions??????? He is also 11 1/2 weeks old.

Potty training/crate is going slow........he doesn't signal me he has to go at all, I take him out all day every hour...
Renee, everything that everybody has suggested works! I posted a question about my piranha only a few weeks ago and with perseverance and patience (not in my nature lol) it will get better! I was getting so frustrated with being bitten all the time I was in tears too! And then I would be pissed with myself for letting A PUPPY get me so wound up lol! But while Molly (aka Piranha) still has the odd moment in general she is so much better after following all suggestions here. Tire her out with not just physical activity but mental...a tired puppy is a good puppy :D

·
2,967 Posts
Agree with everyone else. Tired puppies are good puppies. However they are going to bite. There is no magic way to make them stop. All you can do is discourage and redirect. These are herding dogs and they BITE as puppies. Very different than the softer mouthed retrievers. It always gets better over time with patience and persistance (and when they finsih teething it helps too!).

Give them something else to bite, besides your arms. And if they are still going for your arms you need to first look at how you're playing. Puppies are usually attracted to movement. If your arms are the biggest moving target...that's what they'll go for. Try putting the toy on the end of a string or a leash. This can minimize he movement of your hands and maximize the movement of the toy. Don't foget to PRAISE good behavior. It's not enough to tell them what not to do, they ahve to know what it good to do. A flirtpole can be a good way to put some distance between you and puppy teeth while still playing and wearing your puppy out.

Another thing I noticed is how people pet their puppies seems to have a relationship to how wound up and mouthy they get. The best bet for detering mouthing is to scratch the chest and quiet stroking for calmer interactions. Coming over the head of the puppy and pats on the sides seem to invite play and get the dog more wound up.

Holding the mouth closed only ever ramped my puppies up. If they keep coming for my hands and arms then I stop playing. We're done. My entire attitude projects disgust and puppy is in his crate to chill out. Usually when they get like that they're operating on instinct and not really thinking. When I first let my puppy out, I will pick him up and take him to the backyard. I will usually walk around the yard, kicking a ball, keeping the puppy moving following me or chasing the ball...but IGNORING the puppy. When he gets that initial rush of energy and starts to slow down, I can see that we're at a place where he can think and we can start to interact.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I really need the support! I am doing everything I can....I love the idea of tying toys to something to avoid so much hand and arm movement. We did better today.....I wore his butt out this morning! He is snoring at my feet as I type. I need to learn other commands, as his sit and down are perfect....working on come and need to learn proper way to teach fetch....he is in basic pup class every sat, we just started so I am even considering a private lesson to teach me some new commands and leash work in between to challenge his more mentally. He is so big and clumsy right now....he trip over his own feet! LOL

·
Registered
229 Posts
All of the things people have said will work...just that each one may not for every pup. Tugging scruff, holding snout, redirecting, spraying with apple bitter are all good suggestions...you just need to keep trying until you find one that is more successful than the others and stick to it.

A lot of times on here you end up with a suggestion then someone two posts down saying not to do that...then a suggestion, then someone two posts down saying not to do that...etc...etc...etc...and it goes on and on. This forum seems to be famous for that. For every expert that suggests one thing, there is a reputable trainer who may suggest the opposite. Doesn't mean one way is wrong, just means one person might believe more strongly in another way.

Try what you feel comfortable with and what seems to work well for you. The suggestions are all good. There is more than one right way to do it.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
She is extremely rough. She draws blood and leaves bruises. She gets this wild look in her eyes and will jump toward me and if she makes contact there is likely to be blood.
I had one of those and it was the most frustrating thing. (Thank goodness she's 5 years old now.)

I just got a new puppy from The Netherlands and the breeder already trained the puppy not to bite and to give kisses instead. So, I asked her what she did to train them. She said (and showed me, because I went to her house) that when the dog mouthed, she would hold the muzzle and say "no biting", then "Kisses!" and she let the dog lick her face. It was not forceful or mean, just firm. It worked very well, because every on of those puppies gave me a bunch of kisses. And from Dutch Shepherds, that's pretty impressive.

Sometimes the puppy puts his teeth on me, but doesn't bite. Then gives a kiss.

(It was an interesting visit with the breeder. As we were packing me up with puppy stuff for my trip to my hotel with the puppy, the mother dog came to the puppy and gave it one last warning. She pinned him on the floor with her mouth for several minutes like a little lecture to him to be good. Then she gave him some milk and finally walked away and ignored him. The breeder said the mother did this with every puppy that was leaving.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts