German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always taken lexie with me to different places. lately ive noticed that she has become aggressive in the car. if any dog or person comes near, I get an earful, and im not happy about it. Now I don't have the room in my truck for a crate, so I put her in the back seat, where she has access to all the windows (maybe some window treatments will cure this), just kidding. does anyone have suggestions????? I would appreciate it. thanks

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
My aussie was a "back seat driver". I got him a car harness to he couldn't lunge at the windows. For the barking -since it was distracting me from driving I tried everything (and you may have better luck) - say quiet, stop the car - make him be quiet and so on. So I used the e-collar. He started his act, I said quiet, he ignored me - I pressed the button - silence. After a while, he didn't need the harness or the e-collar. Also, if your Lexie likes the radio or certain music that helps. One day while driving I had the radio on and there was opera - I was going to change it, when I noticed my aussie was listening and quiet and letting me to the driving :)

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
We've got the same problem with Ranger. If he sees dogs in other cars/trucks at traffic lights, he barks his fool head off.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I went through the same thing with Kira, and corrected it 100%. She would go bonkers at the sight of a dog.

Here's what I did:

I parked near a park, where I just knew she'd see passing dogs. I put myself in a position to correct her. As each dog approached, I saw her ears perk, and I corrected both verbally and a quick collar snap, and / or poke to her side.

I moved to another location, and did the same. It took a few corrections, and now she's a great passenger.
On occasion, I may hear her "huff and puff" in the back, i'll just say "HEY, NO", and she stops.

Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I went through the same thing with Kira, and corrected it 100%. She would go bonkers at the sight of a dog.

Here's what I did:

I parked near a park, where I just knew she'd see passing dogs. I put myself in a position to correct her. As each dog approached, I saw her ears perk, and I corrected both verbally and a quick collar snap, and / or poke to her side.

I moved to another location, and did the same. It took a few corrections, and now she's a great passenger.
On occasion, I may hear her "huff and puff" in the back, i'll just say "HEY, NO", and she stops.

Hope that helps you.
That was going to be basically was I was going to suggest.

Knuckles a couple times has barked at a dog as we drove by, but ironically its the same dog he's had issues walking past. He's surprisingly very calm in a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for your suggestions, im going to try the park and correct method and see how it goes, thanks Anthony. the e-collar ive never used before, so I would be hesitant. thanks again

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
thank you for your suggestions, im going to try the park and correct method and see how it goes, thanks Anthony. the e-collar ive never used before, so I would be hesitant. thanks again
No no. .I didn't use an ecollar.
I had her regular collar on her, and just gave her a quick "snap" to "snap" her out of whatever mode she was in.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
457 Posts
I tried what Anthony said and it did not work for me. It was so annoying when driving because it is hard to do too much so I filled a spray bottle with water and just sprayed when she barked. I sprayed her once in the car and once in the house and she no longer barks at dogs she sees. She really did not like it lol. At home she gets one alert bark for dogs going by then it quiet command In the car, I don't let her bark at all because I hate driving with a dog barking at all the dogs they go past.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
That was the same with my Aussie - he knew I couldn't correct him when I was driving so that is when he would act up. I With the e-collar, I could correct and stay focused on my driving.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
That was the same with my Aussie - he knew I couldn't correct him when I was driving so that is when he would act up. I With the e-collar, I could correct and stay focused on my driving.

^^^^ This made me chuckle...

Little snicker was smart enough to know you were helpless LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts