German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I just had a behaviorist come out and tell me that one of my 3 dogs was showing inappropriate behavior and was a reactive dog. I set up some time with a trainer in my area that works with reactive dogs. and she came out. When she first arrived all my dogs were happy to see her as they always are when we have visitors and I proceeded to tell her what my problems were with my 5 yr old rescue maltipoo. He takes the other dogs bones and is hyper, affecting my other dogs. The first thing she talked to me about was claiming items for myself. She proceeded to take the dogs bones and put them on the floor. Of course my 4 month gsd went to get his bone and she "poked him in the neck" he ran into a corner between two chairs and hid. My other two dogs started barking and she proceeded to poke them in the neck. My shih tzu who never growls at anyone proceeded to growl at the trainer until the trainer moved forward and poked her again. My shih tzu looked at me and was quiet. My reactive dog continued to run around the room jumping on furniture and barking. she cornered him and he quieted down., until he saw an opening and ran behind me where he sat down.The trainer said it was a touch she was doing. While this was happening I think my daughter took my gsd puppy into her room. I asked the trainer if we could just work with my reactive dog as we were doing positive rewarding witht the gsd puppy only at this point and she said I should get a prong collar for my dogs and she showed me how to use it. I paid the trainer for her hour even though I ended the session early and she said she would be calling me about more training. Im confused as to is this how reactive training is done with "touches" and chhhhs? I need advice as I dont want a spoiled reactive dog, but I havent seen this type of training before. Im worried that my dogs were scared.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yikes! Find somebody else who knows dog behavior.

·
Super Moderator
32,538 Posts
Sounds like someone has been watching way too much "Dog Whisperer". I would look for another trainer.
Yep. I wouldn't waste any more money on this person. :)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like someone has been watching way too much "Dog Whisperer". I would look for another trainer. What city are you in? I have a great trainer/behaviorist in North LA county. You can PM me if more comfortable that way.
I am in Hacienda Heights in Southern California. I take Dex (pup) to a trainer in Pasadena every Thursday but she does not do at home training or reactive dogs. I called the trainer in Downey. but she is out of town for a couple of weeks for training. :cry:

Oh man, im glad its not just me, my stomach was in knots the whole time, but I thought maybe I was just to easy on my dogs.

·
Super Moderator
32,538 Posts
For me, it's not about being "easy" or not, it's about being affective. Poking at a dog and making ssst sounds at them is just silly, IMO.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Okay, if you have always given your dogs stuff by putting it on the ground (like I do - if it is on the ground, they can have it), then correcting them for wanting to pick up the bone is completely off base and unfair.

And chasing and cornering a four month old? THEN declaring he needs a prong? What planet is this person from? I agree with others - not someone who actually understands dogs, just copying stuff that she saw on TV and calling herself a trainer.

Just from this description, I'd say you have pretty normal dogs that just need a bit more structure and training - shouldn't be too hard to find someone knowledgeable that can guide you those areas.

·
Registered
10,810 Posts
Agree with everyone here. Also make sure you counter this crazy person's behavior with a lot of good experiences for your 4 month old GSD so he doesn't become fearful of strangers. I don't understand why she had the nerve not to tell you what she was going to do and just took possession over your dogs.
I am so sorry that that happened to your dogs.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agree with everyone here. Also make sure you counter this crazy person's behavior with a lot of good experiences for your 4 month old GSD so he doesn't become fearful of strangers. I don't understand why she had the nerve not to tell you what she was going to do and just took possession over your dogs.
I am so sorry that that happened to your dogs.
My poor gsd pup, The way he squeezed himself between those two chairs and hid, when she poked him. I felt so bad. I and him both had no idea what was going on. I know my daughter was upset because she immediately got him and took him into her room, She (my daughter) gave me the stink eye too...and I was thinking oh crap. I didnt want to be rude, so i told the trainer my dogs and I werent used to anyone poking them and thats when she told me it was touching not poking. Im glad I ended it early. But I have never been around reactive training so I thought this might be what happens.

Yesterday night was our gds pup's regular training class in Pasadena (10 miles away but more than an hour in LA traffic) so we decided to go to dinner in Pasadena after training to wait for traffic to die down. We got the patio seats and he just layed down beside us, only lifting his head to see all the people stopping to admire him and say how well behaved he was (no begging for human food, he doesnt know what that is yet lol) He was his usual tail wagging self. Thank god.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Just so you know, this is NOT NORMAL reactive dog rehabilitation. I have never heard of poking a dog being an effective tool for lessening reactivity. You might do a search on this forum for behavior adjustment training (BAT). Take note of the kind of language used, and look for a trainer who describes reactivity in those terms. Avoid anyone who says your dog is reactive because you're not dominant or alpha enough. 99% of reactivity is due to fear or self-reinforcing bad habits.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
Your pup lives in the moment. Pretend this little scene never happened, and ensure it never happens again, and he is probably already over it.

Big hug to you. That was awful to go through. We sing the refrain, GET A BEHAVIORIST, and then people go the whole nine yards and do, and sometimes, these people just don't belong near dogs. We gave the right advice. You took the advice. This should add up to something good. But, unfortunately, it just doesn't always.

And Vets are not always the best place to look for help in finding a behaviorist, which is really sad. They often fall into the Cesar is great mentality too. You almost have to have a good amount of knowledge of your own to be able to determine whether a trainer or behaviorist is good, and some can be good, but just not good for your dog-people-pack.

If I were going to look for a behaviorist at this point, I would get names from the people I train with, and from my vet, and from the people here, and from our club, and then I would try to find out everything I could about what methods they used, what experience they have, and see if anyone I know has had them help with one of their dogs, and talk to them about it.

And then, I would sit in the interview with the dogs, and fight with my gut on whether I am not being too permissive, or whether the person should be doign something else.

I hope you can find someone you trust and can work with and get some good results soon.

Don't worry about the puppy. Don't think of him as poor. He will get over it quicker than you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
First of all, all your dogs were friendly to your visitor. I would think that is a plus, so maybe your dog is not that bad after all. Before this trainer did anything with your dog/s, I think she should have told you what she was observing and what her plan of action was. I don't agree with the poking at all.

For your reactive dog, a prong might help, it depends on what you are working on, and if other methods have failed. A 4month GSD is a little young for prong.

May I suggest looking for some group training classes in your area and just go and observe a few. If the training methods look good, you can either join the group, or ask for private lessons. No more surprise traumas to your dogs!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts