German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am bringing home a new pup tomorrow and was going to try and do the crate training with her, however, I have a 3 yr old GSD already, and was wondering if when I did the leave the house and had to leave her there, I would obviously use the crate to put her in, but I leave my other GSD inside the house where he has free reign. Will she be upset to see him walking freely about while she is stuck in a crate? I think that my older GSD would more than likely go to her crate and stare at her and sit in front of it until I got home. Would this disturb my new pup and cause her to freak out? Should I put the crate in another room and not allow my older GSD to enter that room? Just curious, any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a 4yr old GSD and my sister has a 1yr old pom mix who needs to be crated during the day. He dsnt seem at all upset that my gsd had free rein of the house while he is in his kennel.They get along really well outside the kennel tho so if for some reason your dogs didnt get along i dont know if it would be the same.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I would keep the crated puppy in a seperate room from the older dog at least for a while. You don't want to the puppy to NEED to be able to see the other dog to be calm, nor do you want the older dog to bother the pup.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I have 4 dogs,,2 aussies and 2 gsd's....when I am not here, My male aussie is crated in the dining room,,the others prefer not to be around his cranky self, altho they do have access ,,my female aussie and male gsd have free reign of the house , my 4mth old puppy is crated in the living room where the female aussie & male gsd mostly hang out when I'm not home,,I've had no problems,,

diane

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
Does the crate "belong" to the older dog? If so then he may see this as his territory and not like a pup invading it. Maybe move it to another area of the house and cover it (change it up) so it doesn't look like his den. I know that Onyx is the only one to be crated here and if the other dogs go into her crate, she gets weird. Today 14 yr senior Clover went into it ... Onyx did ignore it, but if a pup were to go there, she would react negatively.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your advice I really appreciate. The crate will be a new crate, I actually didn't crate train my older GSD, he was trained just by me watching his every move and spending every minute with him, so I thought I would try a different approach with the new pup, I am, however, still up in the air about the whole crate thing, but thought it might would be a better way of training. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts