German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 year old. Was crated by former owner. Sent to pound because he growled at their kid. I owned his brother who was beautiful and a wonderful dog but he was tragically hit by a car. I adopted this one when the litter owner told me that he had rescued the brother from the pound but he was a mess. He is not mean at all. Gets along with my other shepherd. Has a good size yard and a canine friend. He yips when he is around us and runs in circles. The yipping bark is nonstop and ear splitting. It has been 6 months and he is not much better. I don't know what to do. I want to help him but he is so obnoxious it is hard to tolerate. I want to make him relax so he can be happy and we can as well. It is the first dog that I have not had luck with training. I am grateful for any help you guys have to offer and I will be reading this forum as I just found it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure. I don't have video but I can try to get some. It is just like excitement but I have never seen a dog do that for so long. Not sure if he was ruined. They had him on trazodone or something but I have not given him any. Put him in the truck and he starts same yipping so he does not get to come to the park with us because I literally can't stand it after 10 minutes u just want to scream

·
Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
485 Posts
Does he ever not do it when excited, like say he’s chasing a ball or listening to commands? You could try and build on that.. I’m wondering if it’s excitement mixed with a bit of anticipation waiting for some kind situation to play out? I’m not sure how you break it.. other than try and reward the behaviour you like (No yipping while excited) and discourage the behaviour you don’t (yipping).

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
How much training has he had? This sounds like a self taught behavior he's developed and has been allowed to practice for awhile. So get him focused on something else. This is an application where a prong collar can likely help alot!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I think Tim has a good point - excitement or not, giving him another behaviour to do instead of yipping is really important to giving you some sanity.

Does he have a favourite command/activity you can build on? Any activities he excels at? In my limited experience, asking for another behaviour - and one the dog is good at, or has the satisfaction of having mastered - is good for their confidence and for bond building.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts