German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my significant other is having a problem with JD. He loves her to death, seriously, he wants to be around her as much as possible. But also looks at her as his chew toy. Her pant leg, shorts, slippers on feet. She gets very frustrated. My question is what to do? She always wonders why he doesn't chew on me. And it's becuase we set that boundary up pretty early. I guess is what do I need to tell her to get her to set up this boundary with him. Ignore him? She has turned her back to him and he still tries to bite her butt(hehe). Okay, that really isn't funny. But can I get some advice?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
If your pup is respecting you at this point YOU need to just calmly step in to stop this. It's not allowed on you, and it's not allowed on anyone else. NO yelling or anything, just calmly going over and then I'd just give the pup a time out in the crate for a bit.

It's not just up to your significant other, you can deal with this too.

The variety of suggestion on this thread (click here) are very helpful.

Teaching a new way to play (toys toys toys) is vital cause the only way the KNOW how to play is with their mouths. So if you don't TEACH THEM something else, it's your fault they keep using their mouth on body parts.

EXERCISE, off leash and for hours and hours a week.

Socialization for mental stimulation. Hours and hours a week. Car rides, new people places sites sounds smells noises....

DOG CLASSES, puppy kindergarden.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maggie...as usual you rock with great advice!

The part that is difficult for me is that my sig. other wants to be a leader. So I wasn't sure when exactly to step in. He & I have practiced bite inhabition to the point where now I'll let him bite on my index finger and when it's too hard...I'll say..too hard and then he'll back off. He's only acting out this way because it get's her attention. He doesn't even do this to strangers coming into the house.

This might be a dumb question. But should I step in immediately and give him a time out? Cause I can anticipate when he is about to do this due to his body language.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when by boy went through the nipping stage i would simply hold him by the scruff of the neck and say "no biting". then i would put my hand on his mouth. if he nipped i repeated previous action. if he licked i would praise and pet him. he's 14 months old now. i just her my GF say to him "don't grab my ankle", um, maybe my method didn't work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts