German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I met the GSD Puppy that I will be picking up on Saturday and there are a few things that concern me that make me question if it is a good decision or not. My first concern is the puppy is currently 7 weeks old and the breeder informed me that both of his testicles are not fully in the sack yet. Is this something I should be worried about because I would hate to encounter complications down the road hence why I am purchasing one through a reputable breeder that was recommended on this forum. My second concern is that compared to the other male litter mate, it seems as if this puppy is much smaller and lighter. When I look at the puppy I noticed that his tail seems a little bit short and that his ears and snout look pretty small as well. Can someone please give me advice on these issues since I would hate to invest all this money into a wrong decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Oh my goodness. He is adorable!

I have ended up with two cryptorchid (only one testicle) GSDs over the years. Since I don't show or breed, it has never affected my decision on whether or not to get a puppy. They were great dogs and I never regretted having them. If you do decide to get the puppy, you should not breed him, and you should eventually have the retained testicle removed since it can be a cancer risk. Neutering will be more invasive and will cost more. I think there is also a slightly higher risk of testicular torsion until you get the dog fixed. Some people say that testicles can still descend until a pup is around 4-5 months of age (I forget the exact age). I wouldn't count on that happening, but it is possible I think. His size and proportions look fine to me, but I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my goodness. He is adorable!

I have ended up with two cryptorchid (only one testicle) GSDs over the years. Since I don't show or breed, it has never affected my decision on whether or not to get a puppy. They were great dogs and I never regretted having them. If you do decide get the puppy, you should not breed him, and you should eventually have the retained testicle removed since it can be a cancer risk. Neutering will be more invasive and will cost more. I think there is also a slightly higher risk of testicular torsion until you get the dog fixed. Some people say that testicles can still descend until a pup is around 4-5 months of age (I forget the exact age). I wouldn't count on that happening, but it possible I think.
I appreciate the insight! I will see if the breeder will be willing to help cover the additional costs of neutering, if there are issues down the line. In the breeder contract it states that they must not be neutered prior to the age of two, so not really sure how problematic the issues would be. Does the undescended testicles affect growth? was just wondering since he does appear to be must smaller than his litter mate.

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
Is the other male puppy also a long coat? The long hair can make their proportions appear odd.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other litter mate seemed in between a stock coat and a long coat. When I held both of them, the other one was noticeably larger by paws, ears, muzzle, tail, stomach and tail. Both of his littermates testicles both descended as well. The breeder did ask me which I liked more but ultimately the one I posted is the one she said she would recommend to me based on my needs. These little things have started to worry me and I cant seem to settle down without wondering if I made the right decision or not.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
how rough is he when trying to find them?

at 7 weeks they are still descending and are easily drown back through the ring if exposed to
cold and to insensitive handling in a very sensitive area of the body.

choose the pup that has the best suited interactive dynamics with YOU

that is what you need .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Answers to Fodder and Carmspack

I am having an issue with trying to reply to my own thread but hopefully you guys can see this.
@Fodder - his other litter mate looks as if he is between a stock coat and a long coat, but he definitely is bigger when I held both of them. His litter mate has larger features such as paws, muzzle, ears, belly, and a longer tail.
@carmspack - when the breeder picked him up to verify if they descended and they found one but had trouble finding the other but eventually it was found. It was on my mind on the drive home and I asked them if both were undescended and they said that they have yet to descend, so based on that information i am assuming both are not. Based on the breeder recommendation they would both be a good fit for me but she recommended the puppy in which I posted a picture of.

I appreciate both of your input greatly! I really do, it's just my mind has been all over the place whether or not I made a mistake or not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should feel comfortable in your purchase. If you don't, why do it?
Good question, I think its the fact that this will be my first GSD and I just wanted some expertise from an experienced community. I have done a lot of research in the past and now that I have a pup lined up, I want to ensure that I will have a companion for many years to come.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Well there are no guarantees even with reputable breeders.
The thing is, most people fall in love right off the bat and you can't change their mind if the puppy had two heads.
The fact that you are uncertain is good but you need to resolve it.
Could just be anxiety or legitamate concern.
Do you have someone with experience to talk with?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well there are no guarantees even with reputable breeders.
The thing is, most people fall in love right off the bat and you can't change their mind if the puppy had two heads.
The fact that you are uncertain is good but you need to resolve it.
Could just be anxiety or legitamate concern.
Do you have someone with experience to talk with?
I appreciate the advice and you are absolutely right, i simply fell in love with the breeder recommendation, i just didn't expect to encounter these concerns. I believe it is my anxiety getting the best of me. I do have social anxiety and my VA doctor suggested to have a companion since most of these issues precipitate when i am alone. I have been looking at getting a GSD for the past few years, and this definitely seems like it would hopefully be two birds with one stone. Unfortunately, i dont have any one experienced to talk with so I came on here looking for some help.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
A gsd could be a great companion for you. There is a lot of puppyhood before you get there. Since you have anxiety your choice is very important.
Have you raised a puppy before? Gsd puppies can be a challenge but the result can be fantastic. They need a strong leader or can be problematic.

Sorry I missed your previous threads.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I was able to read your response - thanks.

so I am confused
"and they found one but had trouble finding the other but eventually it was found. It was on my mind on the drive home and I asked them if both were undescended and they said that they have yet to descend, so ?

puppies at that age can pull their testicles up and down -- the ring has not closed.

put them out in the winter for a quick trip around the yard and the males will pull the testicles - protected by core body heat
seme effect with cold hands
too rough handling
give them a bit of a surprise - and the same

when my vet comes in to examine a litter he will spend half an hour on each pup .

we have known each other for some time so it is a chance to catch up

the pups get a physical , they are observed moving around the kitchen , they are given
neural tests , eyes, ears , stool samples taken and tested back at "home-base"
the pups mouths , throats , glands and stomach area for hernia or umbilical hernia is checked.

now the males are checked for testicles and a notation made + + meaning two , or - +, meaning
left not present , , right , yes , descended.

any ones where there is not a matched set are allowed to run around the kitchen and then are scooped up
and examined again .
often there will be two .

to double check the dog is held in a standing on hind feet and you can see the little grape size testicles in the
scrotum.

if still not visitble a gentle examination is done to find exactly where the the testicle is in the GROIN

a location could be just the other side of the ring and imminent to drop.

7 weeks is young .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A gsd could be a great companion for you. There is a lot of puppyhood before you get there. Since you have anxiety your choice is very important.
Have you raised a puppy before? Gsd puppies can be a challenge but the result can be fantastic. They need a strong leader or can be problematic.

Sorry I missed your previous threads.
Yes, I grew up with two of my sisters dobermans back in the day, and more recently I raised my friends sheltie puppy when they were at work. I am not saying im an expert but definitely understand what is needed from me. A couple years back I was considering a working line dog from a breeder in the Midwest but those plans changed. I know I will have as much time now to put into this new puppy as I would have with the working line, so I am honestly comfortable on raising one, well at least with the idea.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was able to read your response - thanks.

so I am confused
"and they found one but had trouble finding the other but eventually it was found. It was on my mind on the drive home and I asked them if both were undescended and they said that they have yet to descend, so ?

puppies at that age can pull their testicles up and down -- the ring has not closed.

put them out in the winter for a quick trip around the yard and the males will pull the testicles - protected by core body heat
seme effect with cold hands
too rough handling
give them a bit of a surprise - and the same

when my vet comes in to examine a litter he will spend half an hour on each pup .

we have known each other for some time so it is a chance to catch up

the pups get a physical , they are observed moving around the kitchen , they are given
neural tests , eyes, ears , stool samples taken and tested back at "home-base"
the pups mouths , throats , glands and stomach area for hernia or umbilical hernia is checked.

now the males are checked for testicles and a notation made + + meaning two , or - +, meaning
left not present , , right , yes , descended.

any ones where there is not a matched set are allowed to run around the kitchen and then are scooped up
and examined again .
often there will be two .

to double check the dog is held in a standing on hind feet and you can see the little grape size testicles in the
scrotum.

if still not visitble a gentle examination is done to find exactly where the the testicle is in the GROIN

a location could be just the other side of the ring and imminent to drop.

7 weeks is young .
Thank you, this I did not know. I guess where I had my doubts is that the other male litter mate had both his descended, and yet the puppy my breeder recommended were undescended. I was wondering if there was a connection in accordance to size of the puppy since his litter mate had noticeably larger everything.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Puppy size doesn't really mean much. Often smaller pups will catch up to the bigger pups as they grow. Unless the difference was drastic, it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My boy was noticeably smaller than his brother, and now my boy is 100 lbs and his brother is 85 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My boy was noticeably smaller than his brother, and now my boy is 100 lbs and his brother is 85 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thank you brushbunny! This is definitely helping me. I contacted the breeder and they stated that he wasn't the smallest of the litter, just smaller compared to his brother. I met the parents and the dam is maybe about 70lbs and the sire is probably 85-90lbs, so hopefully this little pup will be at least like his mother.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I appreciate the insight! I will see if the breeder will be willing to help cover the additional costs of neutering, if there are issues down the line. In the breeder contract it states that they must not be neutered prior to the age of two, so not really sure how problematic the issues would be. Does the undescended testicles affect growth? was just wondering since he does appear to be must smaller than his litter mate.
My boy will be 2 in April, and I haven't gotten him neutered yet. I will probably have it done sometime in the summer. I don't think it affected the growth of any of mine. They've all been the usual size.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts