German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WD is recovering from a major bout of Giardia. He is on Metronidazole (7 day treatment) to get on top of this. It is working and he doing well.
I want to continue the treatment with Kocci Free. Question: can I give this as soon as he has finished his antibiotics? For how long should he be treated with Kocci Free?
Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Theoretically as soon as he is done with metronidazole treatment the giardi should be clear from his system.

Also keep in mind giardia is endemic in some areas, it is estimated 10% of dogs in colorado have giardia and dont show clinical signs. Personally I would prefer this as the system adjusts to the giardia.

Its just my opinion that after the metronidazole I wouldnt continue treatment with anything else. However the recommended treatment is 10 days if you do continue. You could even probably do 7 just fine as like I said the giardia should technically be cleared already.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
What is Kocci Free?
Stella had giardia when she was younger....ugh. We had to do more than 1 round of metronidazole and panacur before we got rid of the buggers. And then we added a probiotic for her digestive system. I hope to never experience that again.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Kocci free is a natural herb supplement used to clear giardia, cysts, and gi bacteria. Recommended to use for about 10 days following diarrhea. From there I dont know much more and dont have any actual experience using it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I have used Kocci free and it is FANTASTIC. I used it for Chama and for Rafi. It works really well. I didn't use anything else and they both tested clear afterwards.

Re: duration--I followed the directions. Herbs are very powerful so you do not want to keep him on it for longer than they recommend.

·
Registered
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is clear! The last stools were soft and after eating a lamb neck and the next day a good meal of tripe, everything is fine. I have the Kocci Free available just in case he gets it again.

·
Registered
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No clue, he swims in all ponds and streams when he gets the chance, eats (coyote) poop etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts