German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

We've got a nearly 4 year old 80lb pure-bred, and he's been on Blue Wilderness Lg Breed Chicken Grain-Free Dry mixed with a little Blue Wilderness Duck & Chicken Grain-Free wet food ever since he's been on adult food.

We tried introducing him to Honest Kitchen Revel and over the course of a week or so he developed some angry rashes on his belly and around his genitals so we immediately stopped the Honest Kitchen and switched him back to his original food. In hind-sight, I'm guessing it was due to a dumb move on my part of trying to switch him to a whole-grain food from grain-free which he has always been on. However, as much as I've tried to read online, I'm still a little clueless about best practices when trying to switch him other than the obvious step of slowly introducing new foods.

We're hoping you all could share some thoughts on whether it would make sense to try grain-free Honest Kitchen, or to just stay away from it completely at this point.

If we should stay away, can anyone suggest any easy homemade recipes that doesn't take too much time? We've got two baby boys in diapers right now so we stay pretty busy when we get home after work.

Thank you!!
Vince

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, Mary Beth. Keeping on the same food is still an option, though it's kind of a last resort.

He's always had some mild allergies like excessive itching and recurring yeast infections on paws and ears. I know this could very likely be due to outdoor allergies, but we're just not sure. He's an indoor dog aside from when we take him out for walks/exercise.

The other thing is that he has pretty much lost all interest in Blue Wilderness. It's a battle trying to get him to eat even when we try to add wet food or rice. He skips about 3-4 meals a week on average and when he does eat it requires us to sit down near him and tell him to eat.

Anyway, he does absolutely love the Honest Kitchen food. Licked his bowl clean within minutes every meal before we stopped it.

We're probably going to try the HK Grain-Free chicken and watch closely for reactions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts