German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I have a major dilemma that I need help with.

My neighbor takes Maximus out 11:30 for a potty break every other week (he works one week on, one week off). I had a roommate who was going to take Max out on the opposite weeks. Well... her grandfather had a stroke and she left without notice to move in with her grandparents to help out, which is completely understandable. The problem is, now I have no one to take Max out during the off weeks.

I spent all weekend emailing people on Craigslist who advertised dog walking, not one returned my email... I called my vet this morning, who recommended a client of theirs and I went to their website and see they offer two services. The first is a 20 minute dog walk for $18, which I think is high. But they also offer doggie day care at a local spa/grooming location for $15 a day... I'm in a real bind financially, especially with the roommate moving out.

I need to see how people fell about a 9 and a half week old pup going to doggie day care for the day. I'm concerned about the pup bonding with others and deciding for himself that playing with puppies is more fun than playing with me. Everything I've read said that the pup should feel that all good things, play time included, should come from the pack leader and I'm worried about the doggie day care throwing off the dynamics of our bond and "pack".

So what are the pro's and con's of putting Maximus in a puppy day care at this age and for a full 9 hours? It would only be every other week, as my neighbor will take him out the other weeks.

Would it be better to try and find a dog walker to take him out mid day the weeks my neighbor can't take him out?

I'm sure Max would love to go to doggie day care and play with pups all day, I'm just worried how it would affect our bond, training and the "pack" at home.

I have to make a decision asap, as I have to leave work early as I have no one to take him out today.

Any and all thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
We have a dog walker, our doggy day cares around here needs all the shots first.

Also I get worried with our pup eating random things, they won't watch him like we do.

My brothers dog did doggy daycare, and it did wonders for them in terms of biting (non gsd). But it did set them back with bad habits as well, and potty training. They learn good and bad from other dogs.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Alex,
This is just my opinion, but I feel that it would be more beneficial if you had a dog walker come in to take Max out. In terms of doggie day care, while I think they are great for the occasional drop in. I feel like they are better suited for older well adjusted dogs.

If it were me I would worry about Max picking up bad habits and other things (health related). I know that you are trying a to do a great job on socialization, but I don't think doggie day care with a pup that young would be a good idea. I think unless you visited the doggie day care and they guaranteed that only puppies would be together and that they would be strictly supervised I would be going with a dog walker.
Sorry you're in a bind :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi I'm for dog walker too. Agree with beargsd 100%.I wouldn't like my puppy be away whole day if he is still getting use to house and family

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

I agree and feel the same way. Just thought I would check and make sure there wasn't something I wasn't thinking of.

Luckily... I just received a call from a licensed and bonded sitter that I called over the weekend (owners were out of town for vacation and just returned) and she has two sitters/walkers in my area and is going to have one call me and come out for a visit if possible tonight and start tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest.

It's $11 for a 10 minute potty break, which is pretty reasonable and will give Max a little time out to potty and stretch his legs before I get home.

Hopefully this will out, I've been stressed about this since my roommate told me she was moving out.

I came in early today, my neighbor is going to stop by at 9:30 before he goes to work and I'm going to leave early and hopefully get home by 3:30. 6 hours is a lot, but he's gone 5 and a half... so hopefully this won't kill his poor little bladder :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Maybe this is just in my town.. but I'm terrified to go into the doggie day care. I went to take a tour at all daycare in my town. One place I walked in all these big dogs like lab, great dane, doberman, etc.. they were staring at me like I'm a new meat. If I'm scared I thought Lincoln would be even more scared! They are like a gangster there lol

I would rather go with a dog walker too :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dog walker came over yesterday for her first visit with Max. He went potty and behaved himself as he does with all new people :) Glad I was able to find someone to come over and take him out for a potty break. I was getting worried...

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Do you have any nearby colleges or universities? I work for a small college and when I got Nikon, I advertised on their job board and had a student come over each day. I paid her $6 a day to potty Nikon and play for 1/2 hour, but often she and her boyfriend stayed longer (that was fine w/ me I just couldn't pay more). They would take Nikon for a walk and then mark off on a clipboard that they were there (and leave a note if he was sick or anything). I actually got to choose between several people. They all missed their dogs back home and would come play with my puppy on the cheap.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do and I'll check and see if they have any type of bulletin/job board I can put an ad up on.

Not thrilled with the dog walker they are sending, so hopefully I can find an alternative. But at least Max is getting out for a while mid day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts