German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, So my neighbors just came to my door and threatened to take my dog away because she is dying or something??? Now in no way is she even close to being dead or mistreated. She's a happy 42lbs 5mo puppy that's active and loves being outside and playing with mud. Now I understand his concern since we live in Vegas and its been in the triple digits lately so we leave peaches out as little as possible (morning around 6am-to 9ish and in the evening when the sun starts to go down and we have a few errands to run.) and when we do we leave plenty of water for her to drink, but she likes to spill it and splash in it. We do have a crate for her when we go out during the day and she stays inside when we do but like anybody gets bored of being around the house all day. The neighbor says he has to constantly be bringing her water and that if she barks again tomorrow he can legally take her away. I don't know if there is any validity in this and i want to respond to him in an appropriate manner but not she exactly how? I was at work and he spoke to my wife so idk the exact conversation.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
don't leave your dog outside unsupervised. That's asking for trouble, as you've clearly found out but there's other reasons as well. Your neighbor doesn't have a legal right to take your dog either. If they do, it's theft. They can be charged for that. If you insist on leaving your pup outside unsupervised when you leave morning/evening, make darn sure there is water access that she CAN NOT knock over. And don't be surprised if she goes missing whether she has water or not.

Also, think about getting her a plastic kiddie pool. Put water in that so she can splash around and have a cool place to lay in the shade. She also can't knock it over and dump all the water out. If she's a barker, which you may not know because you're gone, it's annoying for neighbors to have to listen to a barking dog so it's best to keep her inside when you cant supervise her immediately in the yard just to avoid her barking.

·
Registered
423 Posts
(Not saying you are abusing your pup) But Please keep your dog inside when your not home, Especially with triple digits. A pup that barks and a know it all (albeit well meaning) neighbor. Don't take a chance....

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
If they look outside and your dog does not have adequate shelter (like a dog house), and she's knocked the water out of her bowl and doesn't have food available, then legally, it looks like your dog is lacking the three basic necessities.
And your dog is thin (not saying she's too thin, but unless a dog is obese, people think your dog is starving to death) so they may think you're not feeding her.

They very well may have made a complaint to the authorities saying your dog does not have food, water or shelter and when they came by, she had none. If a similar complaint is made, it may be possible for them to take your dog. I'm not sure of the laws, but I DO believe they need to give you an opportunity to change the conditions before seizing the dog. But that's what it could look like if she's knocked her water over.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Get one of those large, hard plastic kiddie pools and fill it up. She shouldn't be able to tip it over.

But personally I think it's too hot for you to leave your dog outside for anything longer than potty breaks. I just checked the weather for your area and there's an excessive heat warning. Also, even though it's 11pm where you live, it's still 106F. That's still too hot to leave a dog outside that likes to dump its water. Your neighbor is right to be concerned.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Personally, I would call the police and see if you can file a report, so that, in the event your dog does come up missing, there is a paper trail started.

Keep your dog inside when you aren't home.
Don't let the dog out alone
If its possible put up a bigger fence
Start locking your gate
Record any interaction with the neighbor regarding your pup. Write down time, date and what was said
File a report if possible.

Personally, I think people are looking at the wrong issues. It sounds like the owner isn't having anymore problems with their pup than any other person who has problems with their pup. The dog isn't outside all day. What I would change, is keeping your dog outside while you aren't home. Its not obvious that the neighbor is now a threat.

If the neighbor keeps coming over, tell them nicely, thanks for the concern, but you will take further action with the police if they keep threatening you. They legally, cannot take your dog away. If they have any issues, they should call AC and let them handle it with you.

ETA: Keep in mind to, if this neighbor is willing to so easily lie about him being able to legally take the dog, what else are they lying about? Yes, the pup may spill its water, but I would also want to know how much does the dog actually spill and how much is the neighbor saying it spills. Easy fix though, dog not left outside a lone or while they are gone.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Wasn't it like 112 degrees in vegas the last few days?

I agree with the others, and will add.

The neighbor probably sees her knocking over her water, therefore she has no water, and you said she's outside in a "crate"??? As in CRATE or a kennel? How much room does she have in outside enclosure?

With that, he's probabably concerned for her health in the wicked heat, knocking over her water and dying of heat stroke.

So yes, keep her INSIDE when you can't supervise her outside.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
The neighbor probably sees her knocking over her water, therefore she has no water, and you said she's outside in a "crate"??? As in CRATE or a kennel? How much room does she have in outside enclosure?

I think he meant that she is crated inside during the day while they are at work but that in the evenings or early mornings she is outside for a couple hours.

Everything else, I'm with everyone else. Keep her inside or at least put in a doggie door so that she can come and go. And get a big "NO TRESPASSING" sign for your fence, call the cops and let them know what is going on. And definitely get a kiddie pool for her. Maybe also some buckets to clip to the fence that she can't spill, etc etc
Or even better, something like this Lixit Outdoor Faucet Dog Waterer - Automatic Dog Waterer and Lixit Faucet Waterer from petco.com

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I agree with what everyone is saying. It's too hot to leave your dog out that long. The kiddie pool is a great idea, and you can buy flat backed buckets made for horses that you can bolt to the fence that probably hold about 5 gallons of water

Fortiflex Over Fence Feeder - Stable Equipment & Supplies - For The Stable

If AC was by, I would think they would have issued a notice.

Your pup is beautiful and appears to be in good health, but it's still too hot to leave her out for so long. The barking at that hour, could probably be pretty annoying to your neighbours too, so you have to be sensitive to that as well.

At the end of the day, they sound like caring people who are just worried about the well being of your dog. It's maybe not as bad to have a neighbour like that as it maybe seems right now.

If you see them out again, once you've made these changes, maybe invite them to see what you've done to make improvements and maybe don't leave your pup out as long or if she's barking. That may go a long way to smooth things over.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
If the pup is barking in the heat it is possible she will overheat. It could also be a sign she is bored. The fact that she is barking enough to bother your neighbor is enough reason to bring her in.

Since the pup is inside during the day, it probably IS hard on her to stay out it appears to be in the low 90s in the am and high 90s in the pm this coming week. Puppies are also not as good at thermoregulation as adult dogs.

It is not to hot to take her outside and PLAY with her morning and evening, particularly if a garden hose is part of the play and you spray her off.

At the very least, she should have a pool with enough water for her to get cool in (which I would change daily) and an electric fan with the electric wires 100% protected from chewing. A mister would be great.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
It might not be a bad idea to actually talk to this neighbor. They care enough to give the dog water if they see it has none. How bad can they be? See what they are feeling and explain what your doing, etc.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Personally, I would call the police and see if you can file a report, so that, in the event your dog does come up missing, there is a paper trail started.
IMHO this is an excellent idea ... if something ever happens to your pup you'll have it well documented that there was a threat from the neighbor to steal her.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Again thanks for all the replies. By crate I meant one I those portable kennels and she is definately not left outside in it. Our house faces east so when we let her out in the morning the whole back yard is shaded. I think what bothered me the most was his approach. Instead of saying, "hey Im concerned about your dog she doesn't seem to be getting enough water..." Or something like that instead of strait out accusing us of abuse. And we will be sure to let the authorities know about his threat of taking the dog

·
Registered
766 Posts
monitor your dog and notify your local animal office and the police department of the threat. I would have made it very clear that any trespass or threat to my property or dog will be responded to

1 - 17 of 17 Posts