German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on Fri, 9/24, my 6 month GSD puppy was taken to vet to be neutered. He has never had any health issues. I get him home on Fri after the surgery and now for the last 3 days, his stool has been pure liquid. He is eating and drinking fine but he has diarrhea every few hours.... Whats going on???

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Six months is pretty young- maybe the anesthesia is still affecting him. Have you called the vet? I would! Try giving him some Gatorade so he doesn't get dehydrated in the meantime and maybe feed cooked rice and chicken until his stomach settles down. But call the vet too

·
Registered
32,873 Posts
Is he on any meds? Any antibiotics? Pain Killers? I would first suspect a side affect of a medication.

You really should call the vet and talk to them. Liquid diarrhea for three days could turn serious.

In the meantime, I would fast him for 24 hours to give his insides a break. Make sure he keeps drinking. And then start him on chicken and rice.

·
Registered
32,873 Posts
If he's not on any meds then it probably is just a side affect from the meds while in surgery. Pumpkin should definitely help. I think I would still fast him. Maybe pick up some slippery elm to give about an hour before feeding.

Jax didn't have any diarrhea but it took forever for her digestive track to start working correctly again. She was throwing up everywhere for days from the anesthetic.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Liquid diarrhea can be concerning because they can become dehydrated really quickly.
I like to give one Immodim pill and it usually works in one dose just to keep the liquids in while you work on the root of the problem.
Our lab is really easily frightened and occasionally she gets it if she gets really scared of something like storms or construction... I give her Immodium if it goes on for a while.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I go along with a lot of which has been said - six months seems early (I'll bet your vet advised you of that). The surgery meds can really do a number on them. Watery stools usually mean rapid dehydration. Gatorade helps to replenish electrolytes. A single Immodium tablet usually works quite well.
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.