German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this is going to be a long story so bare with me. To start off I have 2 white GSD (Ghost and Snow) 4 months old and both from the same litter. They both have the same diet (Diamond natural large breed puppy dry dog food - lamb and rice formula).

Since june 3rd Snow has been having some really bad chronic diarrhea problems. the week of june 3rd I took her to the vet, she apparently had parvo. I got the proper medications for parvo and a antibiotic to help her from the vet and things were looking good up until the 19th of june. last dosage of medicine was on june 16th.

Since june 19th, 3 days after being off the medicine, her stool has started becoming loser and now watery (completely watery on june 21st) all over again. She always goes in the crate, takes multiple watery poops outside and even in the crate. I have become extremely frustrated from cleaning this up inside the house. I cant even leave her alone for a hour in her crate without their being a accident left for me to clean up.

I have not even trained her with treats these past couple weeks due to this issue. On June 22nd i took her to the vet again and she did a stool check and x-rays. She said everything is fine just make sure shes not eating grass when i take her outside. She prescribed me to diarrhea tablets, which i been giving to snow for 2 days now every 12 hours. Even though im giving her the pills her diarrhea just isnt stopping. im constantly cleaning up a small water stool she lets loose every 3-4 hours when i leave her in her crate alone.

The vet told me to keep her on the normal 3 day feeding procedure while shes on the diarrhea tablets. I make sure to give her plenty of water as well. Her sibling ghost is also on the SAME EXACT diet and she is perfectly fine and seems to have no issues at all. This mind blows me every time why snow has it. I feel like my vet has no idea what shes telling me to do. she recommended me switching the food to IAMs because diamond is a low quality cheap food. I thought diamond was pretty fair quality from the people i have seen using it for their gsd. I still do not understand why she wants me to switch food, i been feeding her diamond since she was a puppy and her sibling ghost has been doing perfectly fine on it as well.

Could you guys please recommend me anything i should do to help me out from your personal experiences. I feel like going to the vet over and over isnt fixing anything and just lowering the amount of money i got in my wallet :/ I am extremely frustrated.. I have cleaned her crate so many times its starting to become my daily job every 3 hours.. She is also potty trained when shes normal, usually she'll bark to go out but she does not even warn me now and just lets loose. She eats normally when i feed her food and has normal activity throughout the day. She'll always want to play etc., basically acting completely normal throughout the day but just has watery stool. I have found no blood or anything black looking in her stool either. Please help me :(

Also, she has not been vomiting ever since she got treated for parvo, even when she had parvo i believe shes only vomited once. Both dogs have also been spayed the first week of june, but the vet told me that should cause no issue on the last check up i got (June 22nd)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
try a boiled chicken and twice boiled rice meal to help her system. it sounds like with everything going on, her system is completely off. Also are you giving her any probiotics? You can add plain yogurt to her meals to replenish the good flora in her gut. You can also try canned pumpkin to firm up her stools. Just plain canned pumpkin, not the premixed pie mix they sell. Just a spoonful in her food can help.

Also, get a second opinion from a different vet in another practice. Get recommendations from people you trust if you're unsure where to go. And don't switch to Iams. Vets don't know anything about nutrition enough to trust them and some vets even get a kickback from getting you to switch to certain foods. If they're trying to get you to switch to something they sell at the vets office, they're getting paid for it.

Hopefully others will chime in with other ideas as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the fast response, I will definitely try doing what you have told me. I currently do not give both the dogs any probiotics. I will definitely go grab a probiotic from the pet store. I will also add yogurt and a little pumpkin to Snows diet as well to see how that helps.

One last question, you recommend me keeping her food the same? or should i try another dry food.

Thanks for all the quick info you provided. I am also currently reading through the "straight poop on poop" sticky

·
Registered
424 Posts
I concur with KZ.
Exactly.
And yes, there are lots of threads here on the subject, just do a search.
And like KZ said, I wouldn't switch foods just yet--she was fine on it before, right??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes she was fine on diamond when she was a puppy. Her problems are still going on as of today as well btw.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would probably her to the vet to ensure there isn't something else going on. I just don't know enough about parvo. But my one dog used to eat grass, and by late spring he usually had some issue with diarrhea that needed antibiotics. In fact, it got so I just had to call - usually mid to late June, and the vet would give me the prescription. Has she had a fecal lately?
Definitely do a basic diet for a few days - chicken and rice preferably. But I would consider changing food. Try a limited ingredient diet, such as Natural Balance, with a different protein then she is eating now.
I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
at barnyard, he has received medication for parvo and a antibiotic to go along with it. when i took her to the vet the first time. then things where smooth for a week and it started all over again like my story said. and the second time i took her to the vet, they did do a fecal and nothing showed up. She still has diarrhea even today it's a continuing problem. i might consider switching her food. might get a another vet opinion before tho from a different vet this time. so tired of this. ive spent so much money in the last month over this issue :(

@momto2gsds thank you!! i will definitely check it out and do as you said.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Coccidia and giardia can also cause watery diarrhea. You might want to consider a different vet or at least ask the one that you have to consider these two parasites.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts