German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where to start with this post.

Readers digest version...My dog and I are in a motel, essentially homeless. I lost my home and was staying with a cousin, his wife booted us out on Sunday night with no where to go. I tried my immediate family (mother and brother) - no go (brothers son terrified of dogs.

Have been out of work, but started a job 2 weeks ago - not enough hrs. or $$$ to get on my feet, just happened another job called - more hrs. and money, was to train on Monday, but was tossed to the curb night before, so couldn't make it, called to reschedule - lost chance...found out next day - ANOTHER job called (I had interviewed at about a month ago that had advised the position was not available after, as person wasn't leaving), so went for training Wed.

Have drifted between an ex BF (Sun. Mon. night), my brother (one night, Tues.) and now a motel (Wed. and now tonight, it's dog friendly, that my mother is paying for 5 nights until I can find a solution for my dog - takes me to Monday at 11 am), Well - had to work this eve at job (that I need to leave for new job if it pans out)...I find out when I get home that he was barking (5 complaints and a sticky note on my door, and front desk has said I cannot leave my dog alone in the room - I have to work OLD job Saturday and NEW job Sunday (this place will get me back on my feet - way fast!!!) as I need the money.

Come Monday, regardless of my guy being stressed and barking and the issue w/the motel - we are homeless...my family will not take me and my dog in, Brother "suggests" that I go to a shelter to get on my feet - NONE will take dogs.

I have nobody who can help me with my dog - anyone either has sick family, dogs/cats (DA aggressive-ish and prey driven), or simply not in the right place themselves.

I am so scared I am going to loose my dog - I do not want to surrender him to a rescue, I am just looking for temp. accommodation for about a month - kennels want vaccines (no vet money to do and he is almost 9yrs. and no money for kennel)

He has NEVER (in 7.5 yrs.) been away from me, never kenneled and never housed anywhere...he did fine at my cousins place when I went out and well at my brothers, but he was apparently very stressed and barking incessantly in motel (we did spend from wed. eve to thurs. eve. before I had to work - not just dropped in the room) - He is not a chronic barker, so not sure of the reality of the complaints - but I know he is stressed

Fri. is my only day to find solution. I am homeless again as of Monday

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Contact any rescue groups in the area. Some will let their foster volunteers know about dogs as a courtesy. I'm sure others closer to you will have specific suggestions. I am sorry that this is happening to you and wish you all the best.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
I too would suggest a rescue who has a foster program. They maybe able to accomodate you. Do you have any friends that could help? I too am sorry you are going through this. This is never a good situation. I had to permenantly rehome a dog a little over a year ago and it was the hardest decision I ever made. Good luck. keep us posted.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Gosh I hate to hear this. If you lived closer to me, I'd let you come stay with me (at least ur pup!)..but I know that doesn't help.

I, too, would suggest contacting some rescues in your area and explaining the situation and see if they would be willing to help you find a foster for a month. This isn't a typical foster situation (since I guess you'd be willing to visit, help w care any way you could) so they may be able to help? I'd try and find some local pet/dog forums and post asking for help-though I'd be VERY careful who I let take my GSD (you never know) I'd want to know ALL their info. If you have a vet, see if they can help you in any way-there are usually lots of dog lovers that work there that may be willing to take in your pup for a month-or they may at least be able to point you in the right direction/refer rescues. Here in NC, there are govt funded programs that help folks in need afford food for their pets--there are even charitable groups that work solely to collect dog food and dog supplies for folks that need it. Don't know if you have anything like that there-but it's worth looking into..seek ANY place where you know there will be folks who genuinely love dogs and you never know where you may find someone willing to help. Are there any GSD clubs in your area? Try contacting them and ask for suggestions. Try ANY resource you can think of, and you're bound to get some leads and some help...
You'll be in my prayers tonite, and if there is anything I can do to help-I'm more than happy to..I mean that. Just PM me if you think I can help in any way.
Best of luck--I commend you for keeping your head up and being diligent in your efforts. I've been where you are, and things will get better, I promise. :hug:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I am very sorry that you are going through this. Wish I knew of anyone near you who could help you. This type of situation is one of the (many) things that I lake awake at night thinking about.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I am very sorry for your situation.

I do not know the available resources in Canada, but would imagine they would be as comprehensive, if not more, than ours in the States. So I would try to get as many as my "human" resources as I possibly could which would possibly allow me to help my dog. They do have a 211 number that might be helpful: Social assistance in Ontario: Links to helpful resources

While this is for more intensive vetting needs, they may have some ideas to help: How does the Farley Foundation Work

Some groups: Helping Homeless Pets member groups in Canada though what would probably be the case is that they would have to find a friend who could help as most foster homes typically have a variety of other dogs/cats, etc, but it's worth a shot. Petfinder also lists groups.

1 Pet friendly shelter located on this site: Homeless Shelters | Pets of the Homeless

Many dog shelters have free/low-cost, sliding scale type vaccine payments.

A GSD club is a good idea because you are dealing with people who may not be taking in other animals that are at risk of being PTS, so wouldn't be making a difficult choice in terms of helping.

Have you contacted carmspack?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would also check with your vet to see if they can recommend a temp solution.

Hope things settle down soon

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Oh Gator, I am SO very sorry!
You have always been such a wealth of knowledge for this GSD blog!
Jean & Malachi's Mama had some great suggestions for you that I pray pans out. I only wish I could help. I do know a natural type chiropractor in Canada that we get our winter "Flu Homeopathic Remedy" from, but don't know where she is exactly. I will email her today.
You will be in my prayers today.
I'll be thinking of you.
Hugs, Moms :)

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Since carmspack is affiliated with a fellow who sells raw food and runs a boarding kennel maybe they could work something out. .....

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Sorry to hear what your going thru. All I can say is don't give up, everything will work itself out, hang in there.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
If I was in your area I would gladly Watch your dog for a month. I hope you find someone to help you. I wish you luck .

·
Registered
31,813 Posts
Since carmspack is affiliated with a fellow who sells raw food and runs a boarding kennel maybe they could work something out. .....

I would definitely contact Carmen. She may have the contacts in your area t help you.

Elisabeth is in your area too. She might know of someone able to foster him.

I am so sorry you are going thru this. :(

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have a friend who may know someone - please contact me.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
More info on the dog? Good with other dogs, good with intact males, good in a crate, clean in the crate/home?

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh WOW...such great suggestions, thank you to everyone (sorry if I don't quote and thank personally at this time).

Will def. contact Carmen...Excellent links from Jean - thank you

and thank you everyone for the kind wishes. I am sure with all this support we will pull through this, I am already feeling a little more hopeful

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More info on the dog? Good with other dogs, good with intact males, good in a crate, clean in the crate/home?
Will post info soon - Thank you

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I'm probably too far away to help, but if he does well with other dogs and you can't find a closer option I'd like to help.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
You may be able to trade some volunteering for temp fostering with a rescue. Also, a promise to foster for them when you get back on your feet might go a long way, since taking up a foster spot for a month is a big deal for most small rescues. You have so much knowledge about natural health care, I would think a lot of rescues would be interested in helping you, so that you could help them later.

If all else fails, look at whether boarding the dog might be cheaper than a motel -- maybe you could board him for a few weeks while you couch-surf with friends and save a little money. I know vaccinating to board is not something you want to do, but if it will get him into a safe place, there are often many low-cost vaccine options available (from buying the vaccine at a feed store and doing it yourself, if the boarding place and local law will allow it, to very low-cost weekend clinics that cost just a few dollars).

Good luck! You will get through this.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where in Southern Ontario are you?
I PM'd the info - Thank you

I'm probably too far away to help, but if he does well with other dogs and you can't find a closer option I'd like to help.
No, one of the struggles with my situation is that he is not good with other dogs.

You may be able to trade some volunteering for temp fostering with a rescue. Also, a promise to foster for them when you get back on your feet might go a long way, since taking up a foster spot for a month is a big deal for most small rescues. You have so much knowledge about natural health care, I would think a lot of rescues would be interested in helping you, so that you could help them later.

If all else fails, look at whether boarding the dog might be cheaper than a motel -- maybe you could board him for a few weeks while you couch-surf with friends and save a little money. I know vaccinating to board is not something you want to do, but if it will get him into a safe place, there are often many low-cost vaccine options available (from buying the vaccine at a feed store and doing it yourself, if the boarding place and local law will allow it, to very low-cost weekend clinics that cost just a few dollars).

Good luck! You will get through this.
I would love to foster and would have by now, but as noted to Nigel, He's not good with other dogs - cats are dinner to him.

He is well behaved dog for most part

Thank you for suggestion about trade however, I make awesome treats (well, when I had a kitchen) and can supply, my treats have helped some dogs with eating issues and focus.

1 - 20 of 342 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.