German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been feeding Gunner Victor dry kibble for about a year now,He does not seem to like it anymore.Even makes faces when he looks at it. Have tried different flavors. Need a recommendation on a good reasonably priced food that their GSD likes. Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I can recommend Solid Gold Barking At The Moon. My Sting loved it so much that was the only kibble I had to put him on a diet and carefully measure out his food or he would overeat. At first glance at the price, it does give one pause but my Sting who was 30" tall and 126lbs only needed 4.5 cups a day. Also one doesn't need to just feed that but mix it in with another kibble. I discovered that with my puppy Baron was on Taste of the Wild Pacific Salmon at his breeders. His stools were soft so since I had some Solid Gold, I slowly switched him. When I got to 1/2 of each kibble, his stools firmed so I stopped. His appetite also improved. So you may want to try that or another kibble and mix it in with the Victor food you have. This thread concerns a puppy and a different food but it did work when the OP just mixed in a different kind: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/725234-new-picky-eater.html

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Have you tried any of the other Victor proteins? Might be an easier switch to one of Victors other options vs a completely different brand.

·
Registered
31,833 Posts
I switched from Diamond Naturals to Earthbound Holistic. I feed the great plains (bison), medow (lamb), and the one with chicken and turkey. And I mix the three bags together.

I buy them at Pet Value, and they apply price matching with tractor supply, so if TSC is selling it for 46, they give me that price, then they knock off coupons and 15% bulk purchase -- I buy six bags at a time. Sometime 10 if they are on a good sale.

Now the bags are 28 pounds, but they have about 25% more calories per cup than Diamond Naturals which usually costs me $32-35/40 pounds. So, the dogs eat less of the EH. So 25% of 28 pounds is 7 pounds. So the bag is more like 35 pounds. And I am generally paying about 40$ per bag.

But I think the ingredients are better and it is an all around better food.

And, my dogs are eating it. All of them. Scarfing it down. This means less food laying around getting soggy and drawing critters from the river. I never have to throw food out now. I have 15 dogs eating the stuff, and they all scarf it down like they've never eaten before.

For me, it is worth it to pay a little more for the stuff.

·
Registered
775 Posts
You can cave in and try new food or just take up his leftovers after 15 mins or so and when he's hungry enough he'll quit being picky. I've had to do this a couple of times.

If you really want to switch food why not give raw a try?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much are you feeding? How active is he?
Was there a weather change?
Feeding 3-4 cups a day right now using Hi Pto Plus
But have used some of the different flavors. We go for a long walk every morning and he
runs in our yard. Weather stays pretty warm here in Orlando get a few cold mornings.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Fromm's Dog Food is one that MANY on this forum feed and respect.

It has over 15 varieties that you could rotate thru to keep your dogs interest up.

This is Family Owned, Family Run, & Family Manufactured.

Most pet food companies are not and they pay and trust another manufacturer to mix their formula's.

*Fromm Family Foods is a fifth-generation family-owned and operated artisan pet food company.

*Produced with a commitment to quality and consistency at Fromm's hands-on facility in Wisconsin. High-nutrient digestibility and utilization offers complete and balanced nutrition.

*Third-party pathogenic bacteria testing is practiced on all production batches to ensure safety.

https://frommfamily.com/products/dog/?animal=dog&query=&lifestage=&breedsize=&recipetype=&attribute=&protein=&productline=&sort=4

Store Locator: http://frommfamily.com/retailers/usa/#progress=2

If you do change foods: Always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old, taking a week or two to change, eventually transitioning out the old.

If stool gets loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

Moms :)

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Here are 2 more:

Acana: http://acana.com/?lang=usa Store locator: Store Locator | Acana

Open Farms is a new, up and coming product: https://www.openfarmpet.com/ Available at Pet Flow: https://www.petflow.com/open-farm?utm_content=primesearch&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=AW_OpenFarm&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkI2ptp6K1gIVCoR-Ch29FgNYEAAYASAAEgKeOPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
“Open Farm is the first ethically raised and sourced pet food. Their recipes are prepared with 100% Certified Humane™ meats, ocean caught fish sourced in accordance with Seafood Watch™ standards and non-GMO vegetables. Their entire farm-to-bowl supply chain is audited and certified by third-party organizations specializing in humane animal care and sustainable farming practices.”

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
I have used Earthborn Holistic for years, but for some reason (store out I think!) went to Triumph....good food, better than Victor when I compared ingredients, and resonable....then they ran a big special, made me think they were dropping it...so went with the Sport Dog Elite that was on FB so much....

Maintenance for dog at right weight is about 2.5 cups A DAY!!! After nursing a litter and letting them snack until they were gone at 9 weeks, Kira was getting about 4 cups a day to get her looking respectable again....Komet and big 8 month old pup Occult (wicked) get 4 more or less.....he is not gaining living with three females in various stages of heat :whistle: One is is sister, one his daughter and the other I am not yet ready to breed, so he is stressing a bit

Lee

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Feeding 3-4 cups a day right now using Hi Pto Plus
But have used some of the different flavors. We go for a long walk every morning and he
runs in our yard. Weather stays pretty warm here in Orlando get a few cold mornings.
I'd increase exercise and pick up his food. Fromm isn't a bad food, but neither is victor.
I asked about the weather change, because some dogs stop eating when weather changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am another who feeds Earthborn Holistic. My dog goes bonkers for it when its feeding time and from what I can tell it is a very high quality food and the price is good compared to others. I don't know if it is a local promotion but the feed store I buy mine from has a buy 10 bags get your next bag free. I feed my boy 3-4 cup daily and a bag lasts me about a month.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I no longer believe that one should wait a dog out when it consistently rejects food. Contaminated batches and food allergies changed my thinking on that.

I've got one that will drop at least 10% of his body weight by not eating when his GI has an allergic response -- he knows what makes him feel sick by scent and would rather starve than eat it because it hurts him inside. It took us a long time to figure that out.

Dogs also can smell rancid and mold-contaminated food that we can't know is bad -- but they do. Again, it might be being picky -- or the food might be bad. Given the history of the kibble industry, I'd rather err on the side of trusting the dog. Victor's a good company with a good history, but nobody can be perfect forever, and once it leaves the plant, stuff can happen during storage.

I'd try a totally new protein and brand. Fromm's Four Star grain-free line has one called Tur-Ducken that is my kibble-fed dogs' favorite. I've found fish-and-sweet-potato food also appeals to many dogs who reject chicken or lamb and rice. Costco Nature's Domain is an inexpensive option seems to have pretty good palatability. So does Wellness Simple and the limited ingredient versions of Nature's Variety (not Recipe!).

Whatever you try, pay attention to ingredients to see if it matters!

A good independent mom-and-pop store will have sample bags of the brands mentioned in this thread. They also usually have policy of taking back any open bag that's rejected by a dog -- for exchange with a different kind.

If you have multiple kibble failures, consider a non-kibble alternative -- dehydrated porridge foods (The Honest Kitchen, Sojo's, Dr. Haveys), jerky foods (Ziwi, Only Natural Pet), fresh/frozen raw (Bravo, OC Raw, Primal, Vital Esentials, Darwins, etc.). There are so many good options now!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am another who feeds Earthborn Holistic. My dog goes bonkers for it when its feeding time and from what I can tell it is a very high quality food and the price is good compared to others. I don't know if it is a local promotion but the feed store I buy mine from has a buy 10 bags get your next bag free. I feed my boy 3-4 cup daily and a bag lasts me about a month.
Just ordered some Earthborn from Chewy.com.Will slowly switch him over and see how he likes it

·
Registered
681 Posts
Purchase a food that has passed feeding trials and has the statement on the food. Companies that do this spend large sums of money insuring that the dog consumes enough of the food and that the food is bio- available to the dog. I would never feed a food where the manufacturer never tested their food. How can you produce a product that is supposed to be the dogs only source of nutrition and not test it for palatability or bio-availability.

"Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that Brand X Dog Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for maintenance of adult dogs."

·
Registered
43 Posts
The reason you don't want to try RAW? My 2 1/2 yo female was weened on RAW but there was a period where I stopped because even with RAW she would be finicky. When I added my new guy I started him on kibble because that's what the breeder had him on. He isn't picky at all, most bowls are finished before I can put everything away and he's looking to finish my female's food. The breeder used Diamond Large Breed but I gradually changed to Orijen Large Breed. My female preferred the puppy's food too much that I had to switch back to RAW for both just for convenience of feeding both at the same time. The thing I've noticed in the past two weeks since changing over is that both dogs don't itch when they're done eating their RAW meal. For some reason it was almost like synchronized swimmers, both dogs would eat and then itch like mad, Girl couldn't get her muzzle itched enough. That's disappeared since I started back with the RAW regiment. The core of what I use is Xcalibur from Greentripe.com. I have a pasta sauce jar that I put 2 scoops of Nu Pro supplement and 4 squirts of Grizzly Salmon Oil, then fill it with water and shake. I pour that over the tripe and mix it up till it absorbs most of the fluid. My male almost has a stroke he gets so excited when he smells the tripe, even my finicky female gets a bit peppy. Meaty bones, well, that's like offering me a cannoli, they gobble them up so fast I think they dream about them. The thing for me is when I'm feeding my dogs kibble I'm always wondering what's in it, but with RAW I have the warm fuzzy feeling that they're getting what's perfect for them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Earthborn

Gradually mixing Earthborn in daily to make the switch. Gunner loves the food now. Also love that you can reseal the Earthborn bag. Either it was a stale bag of Victor or he just got tired of it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts