German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the breeder I had picked out is acting quite flacky...the pups were born three weeks ago and I have yet to see pictures after I have emailed him asking multiple times.There was only one male out of the litter and I was supposed to have first pic.When I asked about sending the rest of the payment when time came he told me not to rush because there are other litters due soon...Him and I had not discussed other litters we had Discussed THIS litter since i had seen all the hip and elbow paperwork on these parents.I'm starting to wonder if maybe he wants to keep the male for himself.Either way my gut is telling me to find someone else..Preferably a breeder on the west coast would be nice my limit is 1500+shipping.I'm looking for a male as a companion and who i can train in tracking,color does not matter to me.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
oh, sorry about that. I myself am looking for a breeder with a restricted budget in the West Coast myself. I live in California. Good luck and if I find a great one, I will PM you.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Breeders will often hold a male pick of litter back and when there's only one he probably wants to make sure he doesn't want to hold onto him before agreeing to selling him to you. Why not look at these upcoming litters parents and their hip/elbow certifications? I would want the option of more than one male because this one and only make may not have the temperament you were looking for so he is decent to offer you the pick of a future litter to make sure you go home with a pup you really want.

Now how many litters is this guy having and when? That is a slight concern if he is breeding multiple litters close together:)

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been trying to ask about the other litters parents certifications and he has yet to show them to me...its like trying to pull teeth.Also the multiple litters does concern me to because he did not mention them when we had first started talking he talked about this litter like it was the only one around this time frame...hes just starting to seem very shady to me

·
Registered
275 Posts
I make it a rule to trust my gut, and 9 out of 10 times it's spot on. It's a good idea for you to get an alternate plan together.

Sorry I'm no help to ya, I'm a long way from there. Good luck to you though!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I know I sometimes refresh myself on good responsible breeders (and not) by using the following thread as a great reference:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/137533-things-look-responsible-breeder.html

Means I really know what to look for and as a breeder. What a deposit means with this breeder. What their puppy warranty is (and isn't). Along with all the other details.

Other good thing about this forum is to continue to follow and post and read other members posts. Most of us put our general location (BTW, North America isn't very helpful :( ) so if you see my dog, like the way it looks and behaves, and I live near you.......... you can then PM me to find out how I got my dog and where. Many of us also have information in our signatures that link to a website.

Let alone all the great puppies and young adults that turn up in the Rescue section.....

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts