German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the fiance had a full grown Aussie Shepherd that she had before she met me. We decided I should get a dog of my own, something to be my companion. We picked up a young German Shepherd puppy about 3 months ago, she is adorable. The thing is though, she seems to be my fiance's dog.

I'm currently laid off so I'm the one always at home, I have been since we first got her. I'm generally the one that feeds her, walks her, trains her, takes her outside etc. But the puppy won't even look at me most of the time. My fiance can say her name and the puppy almost always pays instant attention. I take the puppy outside and she won't even come inside when I call, I have to ask the fiance to come out and call the puppy.

If the fiance and I walk into the room at the same time, the puppy always goes up to her tail wagging and just totally ignores me.

I've taught the dog the basic tricks (sit, lay down, etc) but that only works if there is a treat (usually in the form of her normal kibble). Other than that she will ignore me. We go to visit some of the fiance's friends and the puppy runs up to them and pays attention to them when they say her name.

So how can we go about fixing this?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I know how you feel. I do everything for my dog. My dog loves me, but my son is the favoured one. Does the puppy have a lot of fun with you too, or just with your fiance?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know how you feel. I do everything for my dog. My dog loves me, but my son is the favoured one. Does the puppy have a lot of fun with you too, or just with your fiance?
I take her out and I play with her since I'm home alone with her for a minimum 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Fiance doesn't play with her much since she's rarely home. I think the number of times she's actually played fetch with the puppy can be counted on one hand.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
Familiarity breeds contempt. Maybe you should do the NILIF routine... or just give the pup only the basics. Fed, water available, taken out to toilet -- and No eye contact, No petting, No speaking to the pup. Just ignore her for a week. Bill Campbell's website whose link I no longer have, had a great explanation of this.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Familiarity breeds contempt. Maybe you should do the NILIF routine... or just give the pup only the basics. Fed, water available, taken out to toilet -- and No eye contact, No petting, No speaking to the pup. Just ignore her for a week. Bill Campbell's website whose link I no longer have, had a great explanation of this.
Excellent advice!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Although I'm still number one in his eyes, my older dog goes nuts when my son visits. My daughters can't understand it but he's still family and a more rare visitor than the secondary humans that still live in the house.

Could be a personality thing too, could change over a few months, could be you're putting too much emphasis on it for nothing. GSD are often not overly demonstrative or if the are, it's to the females in their lives. This too shall (might) pass.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Although I'm still number one in his eyes, my older dog goes nuts when my son visits. My daughters can't understand it but he's still family and a more rare visitor than the secondary humans that still live in the house.

Could be a personality thing too, could change over a few months, could be you're putting too much emphasis on it for nothing. GSD are often not overly demonstrative or if the are, it's to the females in their lives. This too shall (might) pass.
That's a very interesting comment.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Well, I'm glad you didn't make more of it than I intended. Even when I re-read it, it sounds strange but it's just personal experience.
Just found your observation unique. That's all. Could very well be true. I don't know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts