German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this post is going to be a little bit unorthodox, but maybe I'm just looking for support. I found a breeder in my area that I really like and trust, and several months ago I put down an $800 deposit for a puppy. The litter was born in October, but the breeder decided it wasn't a good time for me to take a puppy since I became pregnant in that time. I completely understand this, and I agreed to wait for a future litter (even years down the line, whatever she recommends), but I feel bad about the whole thing. I told her to hold onto the deposit until that time since I'm set on this breed and her dogs. I just can't help feel like I did something wrong and that she's mad at me.

I think the other part of this is that my preschooler loves dogs, and she was so comfortable and calm with the puppies. As a kid, I didn't grow up with dogs, and in fact I was terrified of them until my twenties. I don't want that to happen to her. It's important to me that my children have some comfort with dogs growing up. There are other reasons I prefer a GSD as opposed to other breeds - I did so much research, and met her dogs, and really felt like I'd found a good fit there.

I'm thinking of waiting until my youngest is three to maybe get myself back on the list. Is that reasonable? Should I ask for my deposit back, or just hang on for a while? I'm not sure what to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,553 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that the breeder didn't return your deposit. Obviously, a pregnancy and newborn aren't a short term commitment and the breeder is the one that chose to pull the plug on you. Soooo....yes, I guess I would ask for my $800 back given it will be years before you buy a puppy and she may not even be breeding at that point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,553 Posts
Do you have documentation of the conditions under which the deposit would be returned?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have documentation of the conditions under which the deposit would be returned?
Yes, I do - she said it can be refunded if a good match is not found, or the deposit can be moved to a later litter. I guess in some respects if I let her hold onto the deposit, I'll be "first in line" for a litter in the future, but maybe that doesn't matter as much. I know her waitlist is months long, so is it worth it to stay on the list with my deposit sent in? I trust her to pick the right dog for us, but I'll admit I like to meet the dam/sire first.

I think the reason I'm asking this question is because I already feel bad about not telling her about the pregnancy etc (honestly I haven't even told my own family yet, but my husband let it slip), and I don't want to ruin the relationship by demanding my deposit back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,241 Posts
This is a business relationship, ask for your deposit. She should have offered it in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,553 Posts
Wait. "she said it can be refunded if a good match is not found, or the deposit can be moved to a later litter. "

did she say she wouldn't sell you a puppy at all right now? Which is the way your first post sounded. Or did she just decide this particular litter isn't for you? And at what point in the litter did she decide to do this? When the puppy was ready to go home? Or was the litter not even born yet?

If she just said this litter wasn't right for a baby and she had a litter in mind for you, that's different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wait. "she said it can be refunded if a good match is not found, or the deposit can be moved to a later litter. "

did she say she wouldn't sell you a puppy at all right now? Which is the way your first post sounded. Or did she just decide this particular litter isn't for you? And at what point in the litter did she decide to do this? When the puppy was ready to go home? Or was the litter not even born yet?

If she just said this litter wasn't right for a baby and she had a litter in mind for you, that's different.
I have not actually talked to the breeder - sent an email a week ago with no response. It was the co-owner (who was raising the puppies) who informed me that this litter wasn't a good fit for a family with a new baby. This was after we met the puppies. I think she was worried we wouldn't be able to give the proper attention to the dog (any dog). The litter has several unsold puppies looking for homes. I should note that this litter was very "kid friendly" - that wasn't the issue. It was the pregnancy/new baby that turned her off, so yes, I can't imagine there would suddenly be a better litter for us in a couple months.

Does this change anything? Or should I just go ahead and ask for my deposit back?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,553 Posts
I think you should talk to the breeder and get more information on why and then how your deposit will be applied. Was it in writing that the co-owner refused you a puppy?

We can shout out advise but you just simply do not have the information and we're reacting to tidbits of information here and there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you should talk to the breeder and get more information on why and then how your deposit will be applied. Was it in writing that the co-owner refused you a puppy?

We can shout out advise but you just simply do not have the information and we're reacting to tidbits of information here and there.
No, it was over the phone, so not in writing. Hmm. Okay, these are important things to think about - I appreciate the advice, Jax. I will reach out directly to the breeder again.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,959 Posts
I wouldn't get all worked up over "ruining the relationship" or questioning anyone's ethics yet. If the breeder/co-owner is making honest suggestions with the dog's best interests, and your best interests, there's no reason to expect a battle royale. Give him/her a call and talk through your new 'road map' timeline for your growing family. :)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top