German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 19 month old male GSD and I would like to start walking him. I have a fenced in yard and play catch several times a day with him but he is completely addicted to playing with his tennis balls. It is never enough so I want to start walking him too. I need to burn some of that energy because my wrists and hands are cramping up playing so many times a day with him. I live in a wooded area and everytime I take him out of the fenced parameter he gets ticks. I use Advantage so fleas aren't a problem. I spray him down with flea and tick spray and he still gets them outside of the fence. I looked into frontline plus but lots of reviewers state that it does not work. I am very interested in Advantix since it kills fleas,ticks and helps prevent them from attaching. I read some reviews though and some say it caused seizures and severe itching. Has anyone had these kinds of problems? Can anyone suggest a good flea and tick preventive? He does stay in the house with cats but they don't love all over him because I know some products you can't have around cats. Any suggestion would be helpful!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I use Vectra- it works on fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, mites. I live in TX so there's a constant supply of bugs and the Vectra works great. I really like the applicator too, it's thin with kind of a ball shape on the end that gets through the fur and down to the skin easily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nothing works...

I would like to say in response to the last post that in texas there are only Lone Star ticks and due to the heat there are not as many. Try Massachusetts...here we have all four types... My parents live in Tx and they have been using revolution for years and never has any problems. I on the other hand live in Mass. and have a 9 months old german shepherd and nothing helps here... Revolution/Advantix/Frontline Plus/Verbac collars/Other topical things as well... i have to remove 4-10 ticks a day.. for just a few minutes outside:( on a rainy day even.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Advantix II works for me in Waco, Tx. It repels flys and misquitos but also kills fleas and ticks. I get it at petsmart. try it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm having a hard time finding a tick and flea preventative for my dogs. Zoe is on Clomipramine and can't use a lot of those that the vet gives out. I need something that is natural that won't interact with her medications. I've been finding ticks on all of them but Duke. We have the kind that carries erichliosis and I don't want to go thru that again.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I just got Vet's Best Flea and Tick spray, I haven't tried it yet, but if you look up some of JustMeLeslie's latest postings, she also got this, not sure if she's tried it yet tho.

I don't use advantage, frontline, that type of preventative because I am paranoid about letting that get into their system, just me:) I do have ticks here, and will try this for the first time this year ..

·
Registered
760 Posts
I can't find anything that works either. I have Vets best flea/tick spray, I have all natural drops (brand name I cant remember) and I also do a natural feed through (name also slipping my mind) Im at work so I can't check on the names. I also feed apple cider vinegar and olive oil but I pull at leas t 5-10 ticks a day off each of my dogs. Some of them actually need the tick to bite the dog still transferring the diseases in order for them to work.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
We use Advantix too (we are just very careful to keep the cats away from it) and I have NEVER found a tick on either of our dogs. We live in the woods and have lots of fields we like to take the dogs into as well.

I have not found the Advantix to be very effective at keeping biting flies away, but we have some pretty nasty bugs out here where I live.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts