German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least that is what I would like to get him. Ork is a German import and a very healthy 13 years. We just had a complete blood panel done on him. I am not in a position to keep him any longer and he still has a lot of life in him. He would like nothing better to follow a farmer around all day. He was my stud in my breeding business and sired gorgeous pups. This could be a part time situation as the owner of one of his daughters can keep him part of the month. I am open to options. I just want him to be happy his remaining years. 508-476-5100

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I don't know what your circumstance is, that you can't keep your 13 year old dog who's probably given his all to you for those 13 years, just wanted to say I find it very sad as well:(

·
Registered
32,386 Posts
You might want to note where you are located at? How well does he get along with other dogs? Cats? Strangers?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I just had to go out and give an extra hug and a couple of chicken feet treats to my old Golden.

·
Registered
10,814 Posts
Would love to know the reason you cannot keep him. I cannot imagine him "follow a farmer all day" just by the way he is standing.
Since you are open to suggestions, here's mine: open your heart up again and give this dog a soft bed and all the balls he wants. Re-homing an old guy like him is bad for him.
I have a 14 year old dog who has always and still is a sweet guy. He sleeps all day. I just have to be his service human so he knows where he is, where his food is, tap his head to wake up to go outside (deaf and almost blind) etc. That's what you do as a small payback to all the years of loyalty he gave you. I sincerely hope you'll keep him comfy with you. When he passes you'll be happy you did that for him.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I can't imagine a 13 year old dog would want to follow a farmer around all day, how cruel can people be?

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
poor dog to have his world ripped apart at 13 years old.....are you absolutely sure you cannot figure out a way to keep him???? He probably does not have a long time left!
And rehoming might stress him so much that he won't last long....

Lee

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Gorgeous German Shepherd (douglas, Ma)
Ork Vom Stahlfang is a German import and was the crux of my breeding business for 7 years. He has been retired for several years and unfortunately, I can no longer keep him with me. He just came from the vet where he had a full blood panel and he is in excellent condition. He will be one of those that lives till 17. He is approaching 13 yrs. He has a beautiful disposition with people of all ages, and will get along with a dog as long as the dog doesn't challenge him. Leaves cats alone if they leave him alone. I want valid references and am looking to place him in a loving environment with land. He loves to play and especially likes men. Call 508-476-5100 to talk with Suzanne
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
"One of those that lives 'til 17?"
Really? Can you guarantee that?

For 13 years, this dog has likely given you his heart and soul. Now in what should be his golden years, you're going to rip his heart out and put him under a lot of stress.
13 is an impressive age for a GSD.

I'm sorry, but this is depressing. We have a lab that we've had for 13 years. I couldn't imagine shattering her heart by giving her away in her old age.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
to the OP. and i say this with no malice but only with stone cold truth. it would be so much kinder of you to euthanize this dog. i will not comment further and reserve judgement on the temperature of your heart, because i don't know your circumstances.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I agree with the sentiments of y'all, but shouldn't we be concentrating on getting this dog to a safe place? If we scare off the OP we're letting that dog go on Craigslist to who knows where doing who knows what. It sucks that a guy who has been the backbone of this person's entire breeding program is being placed, but we have the opportunity to make his remaining years amazing by helping him find his retirement home on this forum.

OP, are you willing to travel? Has he had any health problems? Can he still move OK, stand up and lay down unassisted?

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
yes, marbury, after i posted i thought about it and decided that the energy is better spent trying to find a solution for the dog, and that maybe my comment was inappropriate. i just cannot imagine, tho...i mean, a 13 year old. if there was a breeding program, surely there must be some recognition of how dedicated and loyal these dogs are, and how difficult it would be for this boy to transition to another home, and surely some recognition of how improbable "following along behind a farmer" is.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
yes, marbury, after i posted i thought about it and decided that the energy is better spent trying to find a solution for the dog, and that maybe my comment was inappropriate. I just cannot imagine, tho...i mean, a 13 year old. If there was a breeding program, surely there must be some recognition of how dedicated and loyal these dogs are, and how difficult it would be for this boy to transition to another home, and surely some recognition of how improbable "following along behind a farmer" is.
lIkE!

Maybe one of the people who own a pup from Ork may want to give him a forever home if the breeder won't keep him. I'd be honored to have had Karlo's sire spend his last days with me.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Is it possible for this guy to transition well into a home?

How was he kept until now? Inside, outside?

Was he kept as a family pet?

What food is he eating?

What kind of exercise does he require?

·
Registered
229 Posts
My uncle isn't a dog person, but he LOVED to spoil my aunt, so she had three dogs, I think they were Jack Russells. In October 2011, she had her annual mammogram, it was clean. In December 2011, she felt something and went to the doc. Infected milk gland, she was told. March 2012, she was finally diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. July 2012, she was given a clean bill of slate, in remission, they said.

August 2012 they found the brain tumor. September 2012, they gave her just weeks to live.

She wanted her babies to go to someone who would love them, and I swear she hung on just to find them great homes. She died October 17, 2012, the day after she found a good home for the 3rd dog.

We don't know WHY this dog is being rehomed, and very possibly, it might not be any of our business. Some of the snide remarks here make me want to cry.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
So now the OP gets quiet or was it troll message to get everyone worked up?
No, I think this is legit.
This breeder used to be in California, now she says she is in MA. She had this dog and three breeding bitches.

We do not know the circumstances.

Do you guys seriously think this dog could not adapt?
Would he not get along with, say, a one and a half year old intact male?

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Depends on the circumstances/handling from the getgo and the dynamics of the pack structure. I know some senior dogs that you would never guess they are elderly, and some that drag butt at 8.
If the dog is of good temp/health, he should take easily to someone dishing out love and affection. I am ASSuming he isn't a working dog, so it may be easier to adjust to a new person than one that is leaving a 'team' mate.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts