German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10-month old pup has just developed juvenille diabetes. I.m still trying to get her sugar levels under control which is scary and stressful. But a secondary problem is that she drinks and urinates more frequently now so that she often goes in her crate during the day. She's crated 6.5 hours for 2-5 days of the week. Also, my sister drives 40 minutes once a week to take her out, but I can't ask her to do more than that. I really need someone to come let her out on the other days, but I don't know who to ask and I can't afford the commercial dog walkers in the area at $18.00 a day. We live in a new area and don't know our neighbors that well yet. How would you go about finding a trustable dog walker at an affordable price?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had two days in a row that she didn't pee in the crate! According to my charts.. a negative urine sugar test in the morning correlates with her thirst being normal. (We have these little sticks to hold under her stream when she pees, she doesn't mind at all.) So maybe this won't be a problem as long as I can consistently give her full dose of insulin each meal.

Thanks for the little box suggestion. She's getting to the point where I can probably trust her in a doggie-safe room during the day. But I wouldn't be able to put down any papers or litter because she'd shred it or eat it. My boyfriend suggested letting her pee in the bathtub (I know that sounds gross). It would be easy to train, but I'm just not sure that's the best solution yet.

Overall, she's doing better but not perfect. We've had to up the insulin dose because she's still testing high for blood sugar even 8 hours after a meal. She's really thin under her fluffy coat. Weights about 56 lbs. She's always hungry during the day, but we can only feed her twice a day. She gets 4 cups of her food a day, which is above what would be normally fed to a dog her size. She's just not absorbing enough of it. We wanted to try RAW since it could be easier to digest, but the vet was not on board, unfortunately. Not sure what to do next.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts