German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where to buy a good quality police type belt to keep a 100lb dog attached to my waist. I need to do some hands free training.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you:)

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Quote:Anyone know where to buy a good quality police type belt to keep a 100lb dog attached to my waist. I need to do some hands free training.
What type / style of belt are you looking for, LUV? Are you looking for a duty belt - the kind police officers have their gun, handcuffs, etc. on? Are you set on leather or would a strong web belt work the same for you? Are you looking for one that would attach to belt loops in your trousers, or one to go over your clothing?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes a heavy one. I have a dog that doesn't like strangers and want to eventually get her into a class (not private like I am in now). I have to anchor her to my waist and hold another lead as a back up. She is 100lbs and that is the reason the instructor asked for this. I also want to train her without sending my nervous signals down the lead so the belt would be the way to go. I know I saw one on the web and can't find the site again. A strong web belt would work too. The instructor suggested looking in the rock climbing type belts with the hooks on them. I bet it would be easier to put it on over the clothes since I would want to be able to take it off and on easier than one through the pants

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Maybe what you need is a canicross belt? Give them a look.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
LUV, there are a number of manufacturers out there that make quality and affordable duty-gear-style belts that would work very well for your purposes. Two that come to mind right off the bat are Blackhawk Tactical and Brigade Quartermasters Ltd.

There are two ways to which you could attach a leash to these belts. One is to slip the leash's loop over the belt as you're putting the belt on, the other is to use a clip. If you use a clip, a screw-closed carabiner from the hiking store would be your best option as the clip would be what holds your dog to you, so it really has to stand up to the use. The cheap carabiners sold as key holders and such, obviously, wouldn't be up to the task.

In terms of belts, a wider belt may be a better option for you since, if the dog lunges, you wouldn't have all the weight put on a narrow belt that will cut into you. It'll still be uncomfortable with a wider belt, but not nearly as uncomfortable as a narrow belt would be.

The type Kutzro linked is a tactical-style trouser belt. Both Blackhawk and Brigade make those. They're designed to go through your belt loops on the pants, so they are relatively narrow compared to a duty belt.

Here's Blackhawk's listing of belts - http://www.blackhawk.com/category1.asp?D=D0066&S=S0567&G=&C=&N=1&pricestart=&priceend=
IMHO, the nylon duty belt may be a good choice. It has a sturdy buckle whereas many of the trouser belts close by a pull-through buckle and then secure with velcro. Not quite as secure as you'd probably want. The padded patrol belt is REALLY nice, more expensive tho.

If you want to go cheap and durable, any surplus store or online surplus seller will have mil-spec nylon pistol / LBE belts for around $10, in used but good condition (or even new). They come in black and OD green, ordinarily. You can also use that for your training treat holder, etc. as long as the loops on the back are wide enough to fit the belt.

You should've looked for this last month. *lol* DH and I just went through all our gear and sold a whole bunch since we'll be moving in the next couple of weeks. I would have sent you one for free. I had a nice leather duty belt I sold.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Historian...yes with a 100lb dog a wide belt is better. I will compare all I have found sometime this weekend. Thanks for all the tips. I welcome more too.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yes, I don't think my instructor would be comfortable with me in velcro
I plan on stopping by the outdoor store too this weekend to see what the climbing belts look like. The leather police belts look great. I saw and actual police belt and leash combo and thought I book marked it but I can't find it now. I think the web page may have changed and that is why I am not finding it anymore.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Quote:Oh yes, I don't think my instructor would be comfortable with me in velcro
A lot of the tactical belts use a slip-through style metal buckle, which works great for trousers but will probably not work that well to a 100lbs dog lunging against it. The ones with Velcro have the same style of buckle, but then secure with Velcro after pulling through the buckle, for a bit of additional security. There are Velcro-secured duty belts, too.

Definitely check out the hiking / outdoor stores. They often have a great selection of various things, and you can also get the heavy-duty carabiners in their climbing area. When I make rope leads, that's where I also get my rope - climbing rope works great for leads!

Quote:I saw and actual police belt and leash combo and thought I book marked it but I can't find it now
I don't think I've ever seen those. I'm only familiar with the flimsier kind they sell for running, and the leads that convert to fit around your waist or over your shoulder for hands-free training.

I have (somewhere in my dog gear box) a black nylon 1" convertible leash like that - you can loop it over your shoulder or around your waist for training. I'm not sure that it would hold a 100lbs dog attached to your waist, though - at least not with a lot of discomfort on your end. But if you'd like it, let me know, and I'll mail it to you.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the offer of the belt but I know my trainer and she would be happiest if I show up with a really meaty belt. And yes with a 100lb dog I think I would feel best with something heavier. We have a camping store near by that sells all the rope climbing equipment so I will take a look there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts