German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I have a nearly 7 month old GSD and he's well taken care of. His crate is up in my room and he sleeps in it without any problems. I spend a lot of time with him, but when I need to go downstairs without him I put him in his crate. Once my feet hit those stairs, he starts screaming! He's been doing this since he was very little and it hasn't changed at all. We ignore him and only go in once he stops screaming, (usually after 15 minutes, but if he hears me speak downstairs it starts up again) but this hasn't helped at all. There has been literally NO change since we've had him at 3 months of age. Will he grow out of it? I need a little help here. :'(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are velco dogs, he wants to be with you. Is there a reason he can't go downstairs with you?
If I need to go out or need to go to school, or if I need to cook dinner and don't have the extra hands to keep him away from the counters (sneaky dog :p), he needs to stay up in his crate. If I need to interact with the cats in the house, he also needs to be up in his crate, because they'll actively avoid him and god knows I'm not going to be able to find them if he's snooping around. :p He's still leashed on the bottom floor of the house because he still likes to grab things and run.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
Is it possible to put another crate downstairs so that he can be downstairs with you but contained?

Does he not like the cats? Our dogs and cats are all loose at the same time without issues. Right now, our GSD is on the couch sleeping and the cat is on the back of the couch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible to put another crate downstairs so that he can be downstairs with you but contained?

Does he not like the cats? Our dogs and cats are all loose at the same time without issues. Right now, our GSD is on the couch sleeping and the cat is on the back of the couch.
He loves the cats, but unfortunately too much. He wants to play with them and all being older cats, they don't like it too much. When he's calm he's fine with them and will ignore them, but once he's up again he wants to play! It's a little crazy, haha.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
Teach him to "Leave It". This is the age I taught Jax that. Also "Easy" He has to learn how to behave around them sooner or later.

He sounds like he has separation anxiety. I don't know much about that but you could look it up and how to deal with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Teach him to "Leave It". This is the age I taught Jax that. Also "Easy" He has to learn how to behave around them sooner or later.

He sounds like he has separation anxiety. I don't know much about that but you could look it up and how to deal with it.
He knows "Leave it" and "Gentle", which is essentially Easy. But his impulse control is still a little faulty because he's a crazy puppy. :p He'll listen sometimes, sometime he won't. It usually depends on if he's interested in the cookies in my hand or not.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
So how about a crate downstairs so he can be contained when you need him to be and he can still be close to you? Look on craigslist for a used one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bring crate downstairs.

I bring my crate downstairs during the day and upstairs during night in front of our bedroom.

My 10 week old cries just for a few minutes, sometimes does not cry at all, but maybe your pet thinks he is being punished against his will when you keep him upstairs. I would recommend not even buying a second crate, just use the one you got, even if it is a pain dismounting/carrying it.

But I do agree totally that when you leave the house or go to school, he should be in the crate but then remember again, not half the day in a row.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I think the crate downstairs is a good idea.

How much time a day does he spend in his crate? Our dog only spends and hour a day at most usually, if someone is home she is out (I know that can't happen for everyone) my point is because she is always out she is calm in the house, if there is a day no one is here and she has to be in there longer she is kind of a nut when she's out. So if he's spending a lot of time in there maybe he would learn to relax more in the house if he had more time in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts