German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8 month old GSD, she is a excellent dog BUT she is still in her chewing stage, she gets to where she doesn't want to listen, she tries to catch my fish in my pond, and she attempts to escape from the yard! I cannot keep stuff picked up so she won't chew on them because there is a 3 year old in the house and he doesn't understand the concept "don't leave it lying around or the dog will chew it"..my question is when will she be out of the chewing stage and actually start to mellow out? I understand she is still a pup, it's just she can be a handful at times lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
Anywhere from 1 to 2 years old... ;) Does your pup know the "leave it" and "drop it" commands?

I'm sure you'll recieve some great advice here.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
A "teennage gsd" - it will pass but it does take a lot of work to have a well behaved mature gsd - age alone doesn't too it. If you have classes in your area, you may want to sign up that will help you work on obedience. Also increase the exercise - provide appropriate chew toys and if you can't watch the dog (this is the age they can really destroy with their adult teeth and they do it fast) put him in his crate with his chew toy. Tug is also a great outlet - be sure he ends up winning after a struggle. I use tug as a reward after the obedience work.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
A lot of what people label "bad behaviour" is actually the dogs telling their owners that they are not getting enough exercise and are bored. Often a pup's need for exercise and mental stimulation goes up when they hit those teen-age months.

Having an 8 month old GSD puppy and a 3 year old child in the house is like having two toddlers! Both require constant supervision, age-appropriate toys, and fun, interactive games and activities, with an understanding of their own limited attention span and a yet un-developed sense of right and wrong.

As to when they get through the "chewing everything" stage, that varies from dog to dog. Some dogs are trustworthy at around a year old, others can never be trusted to not chew stuff is not supervised. But one thing that will help now and in the future is more exercise and more training to tire out and stimulate both body and mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts