German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting. . .I found this food advertisement in a magazine I was reading and thought the concept was, well, interesting.

Nature's Logic claims to be the first pet food that contains no added vitamins or minerals. All nutrients come from whole foods.

http://www.natureslogic.com/index.php

One ingredient is Montmorillonite which Wikipedia says, "Is a very soft phyllosilicate mineral that typically forms in microscopic crystals, forming a clay. . .Montmorillonite is also used in animal feeds as an anti-caking agent. Current research indicates that montmorillonite or bentonite has the ability to bind mycotoxins in the digestive system of animals as well as several bacteria in-vitro."

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Personally, I don't think any diet is nutritionally complete because I no longer have a lot of faith in our own food sources -- our meat is raised totally different, as are our veggies, etc.

btw, bentonite has long been used for various digestive issues -- however, if you are continually adding a product that acts like bentonite, then I would worry about nutrient absorption. That's for bentonite -- I don't know anything about montmorillonite.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me start by being up front and tell you I work for Nature's Logic. I feed our food to our pets and they are doing great on it.

Montmorillonite is approved for inclusion in USDA Organic Certified products. Texas A&M has conducted preliminary testing of montmorillonite. Initial results were positive for sequestering aflatoxins, but they indicated further study was needed.

One of our customers works with police shepherds and highly recommends our food to the area officers who work with shepherds. He posted a testimonial on our web site about it.

I would have just private mailed this to natalie559 but I couldn't figure out how to do it, so I hope it's not considered spamming. If it is, please let me know. I was trying to provide more information about the Montmorillonite.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Hey Barb-(I am assuming you will read this
) I found this searching for a thread I think you started about sourcing foods and foods/vitamins from China to post in GSDad's post about China in chat.

I couldn't find it!

But thought this was interesting from a year or so ago!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I did see it

I've always wondered about the Montmorillonite but
I'll drive myself nuts if I think about all of it

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I'm going to have my friend ask some questions for me, well perhaps she already has
- But I need her nutrional background to really know what they're saying

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Oh and the China link to vitamins, I don't think I've ever had a thread about it, I've mentioned it in some posts is all (I think
)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cairnowner: I think that is really great that you came on here to give an answer. Its nice to see that workers in the industry are here too.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Thanks, Barb!

Hey-I started my group on it. I had to cut down IMMEDIATELY their amounts or they would have loose poops. It is very calorie dense-and I need to watch my cobby type dogs for weight gain. They seem to enjoy it and seem to be doing well on it so far, but it is rich. They are going from Orijen/Fromm to that.

Not worried about the clay-sounds good to me.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
My girl has been on the treats for quite sometime with no problems.

I don't feed the kible, but she lovvvvvvvvvves the treats!!!

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
i asked about this food a few months back as well (when we were finding an alternative to timberwolf after that whole fiasco) i called the company and they were very informative, but i was unsure about not adding any vitamins or minerals, it made me nervous. about the clay-nature's variety uses clay as well and mikko's been on that for several months now (mixed with orijen) and is doing fantastic. hmmmm- maybe i'll buy a bag to rotate with and see what happens. glad to hear your dogs are doing so well on it jean!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Glad to hear your clan is liking it!
I've got Dante on the Lamb now, we're just a few days into it and he loves it.

You do have to watch thier weight, Dante gets fluffy quite quickly on it

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
If they're meeting the "requirements" where does the concern come in? That really is an honest question, I don't know how to say it any differently and it sounds rude but I don't mean it that way!!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I didn't know they made treats!

I had the same question and the same question about the question! I am trying <gulp> not to give vitamins.

I couldn't believe how little food-poor Mariele-I have to watch her-she only gets a cup a day anyway. And I probably got Kramer sick by giving him too much.
So the jury is out as to whether or not he will be able to stay on it.

Bruno's coat seems softer. I read the ingredient panel and just don't see how they get their protein level...unless there really IS a lot of meat in there.
SO trusting...and feeling really slow on the uptake with my reading comprehension!
http://www.natureslogic.com/products/dp_dry_lam.html

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Jean- You broke their website

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Didn't we have this problem before!!!!

Well the heck with the website, I'm posting it here! Gonna do it LIVE!

PS-I do think this is going to end up being a more economical choice for me. HOPING!

Nutrient Actual Analysis
Units Dry Matter Basis
Crude Protein 32 %
Arginine 2.62 %
Histidine 0.94 %
Isoleucine 1.2 %
Leucine 2.76 %
Lysine 2.03 %
Methionine-cystine 1.43 %
Phenylalanine-tyrosine 2.31 %
Threonine 1.49 %
Trytophan 0.31 %
Valine 1.36 %
Crude Fat 18.1 %
Linoleic acid - Omega 6 4.63 %
Minerals
Calcium 2.123 %
Phosphorus 1.3 %
Potassium 0.58%
Sodium 0.33 %
Chloride 0.36 %
Magnesium 0.16 %
Iron 428 mg/kg
Copper 15 mg/kg
Manganese 30 mg/kg
Zinc 73 mg/kg
Iodine 5.22 mg/kg
Selenium 0.41 mg/kg
Vitamins & Other
Vitamin A 23,020 IU/kg
Vitamin D 175 IU/kg
Vitamin E 21.34 IU/kg
Thiamine 46.9 mg/kg
Riboflavin 8.14 mg/kg
Pantothenic Acid 18.04 mg/kg
Niacin 92.4 mg/kg
Pyridoxine 3.498 mg/kg
Folic acid 1.804 mg/kg
Vitamin B12 0.0594 mg/kg
Choline 1276 mg/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* (minimum) 4.05 %
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* (minimum) 0.99 %
Calories: 551 kcal/cup

Nature's Logic Canine Lamb Meal Dinner Fare provides complete and balanced
nutrition for All Life Stages and is comparable in nutritional adequacy to a
product which has been substantiated using AAFCO feeding tests.

INGREDIENTS: Lamb Meal, Millet, Chicken Fat, Montmorillonite, Brewer's Yeast, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Spray Dried Chicken Liver, Pumpkin Seed, Animal Plasma, Kelp, Natural Flavoring, Cottage Cheese, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Egg Shell Meal, Avocado, Chicory Root, Tomato Powder, Almonds, Spray Dried Cod Liver Oil, Apple Powder, Blueberry Powder, Apricot Powder, Carrot Powder, Pumpkin Powder, Cranberry Powder, Broccoli Powder, Spinach Powder, Parsley, Artichoke, Rosemary, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Bifidium Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product, Dried Pineapple Extract, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachtium Fermentation Extract, Mixed Tocopherols.

Direct Fed Microbials*:minimum 6,500,000,000 CFU per pound (in descending amounts, L. acidophilus, L. casei, B. bifidium, E. faecium, B. coagulans)

Enzymes: Protease* (Aspergillus Niger, var) 1559 Tyrosine units liberated/min/kg, Alpha-amylase* (Aspergillus oryzae) 3.98 dextrinized starch units liberated/min/kg, Lipase* (Aspergillus Niger, var) 19.2 µmol fatty acid liberated/min/kg, Cellulase* (Trichoderma Longibrachtium) 82.5 µg Tyrosine liberated/min/kg.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Hmmm I just found a spreadsheet that someone I know sent me

Perhaps this weekend when the website is back up I'll add Nature's Logic to it.

'course Timberwolf and Canidae need updated.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAANI didn't know they made treats!
They do and frozen raw and fish oil and that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Since you broke the website we can't go look

Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAANI read the ingredient panel and just don't see how they get their protein level...unless there really IS a lot of meat in there.
The Lamb one there definately is, Lamb Meal and then Millet for the "main" ingredients. Somewhere I read that what comes before the fat is really what makes up the food, the rest is either filler or what is used to make it a balanced diet. (Food project perhaps, or DogAware)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Barb, I'm pretty sure that came from the Dog Food Project. I remember reading that, too.

~Kristin

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Originally Posted By: Barb E.If they're meeting the "requirements" where does the concern come in? That really is an honest question, I don't know how to say it any differently and it sounds rude but I don't mean it that way!!
honestly, i don't know! lol. i guess i'm just afraid to try something new and different, as silly as it sounds.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts