German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any natural or holistic anti-inflamatory & pain remedies/meds? My Holistic vet is closed until tomorrow and we just got back from Chimo's "other" vet. He tweeked his knee on the ice. She asked if I wanted their meds (Deramaxx etc.) or if I wanted to go with holistic stuff. She can be so kewl.

Her hubby is the jerk though.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Are you looking for topical or to take internally?

Icing will help greatly!

EDIT: I agree with the homeopathic Arnica Montana.

·
14,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Internal. She thinks it might be ligament damage/strain - not enough for surgery by any means but he has to take it easy and no rough-housing with the sisterhood.

·
14,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh just thought I would mention he is favoring his leg but not really limping on it unless it twists on him again. To me it would be minor but I dont want it to become major either.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
The best homeopathic remedies for strain/ligament injuries are Bellis perennis and Ruta gravis. You can give them both together, about 3xday and you should see improvement very quickly. Haven't had much success with Arnica for those issues, but it all depends.

Most HFS have combination remedies for sprain injuries (consisting of the remedies above and others) and other modalities - might be alot cheaper then buying indiv. remedies and a better option for people who are unexperienced in homeopathy and don't really know how to choose a remedy.

I would also give high doses of VitC and some fishoil for their anti-inflammatory properties.

·
14,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well in his lunch today he had canned Mackerel (all out of fresh fish) and 1000 MG of Vit C. He did leave his Gluco in his bowl
so I need to give him a spoonful of "lumpy pumpkin".
He is being pretty good about staying off of it and is doing much better about keeping it away from the rambunctious daughters. KC bumped it last night and he did one of his "fatherly growls" and she promptly jumped off the futon and tried to wash his tonsils.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

·
14,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well he has been getting 1000 MG of Vit C with 800 IU Vit E and Gluco HCI 1500 mg with 1500 mg MSM. I have also been adding ground ginger, powdered mustard and olive oil over his food. My wittle pill boy.
He had Mackerel on Sat and will probbaly have it again on tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
If you can only get one remedy I would try the homeopathic Bellis perennis. When my female had a suspected ligament/ strained muscle issue over a year ago, the ortho vet couldn't even see anything wrong with her because after only a couple days on the remedy she was all good and didn't show any symptoms.
But because her knee never had the chance to heal properly (since I didn't know, I didn't restrict her excercise) she came down with a partial ligament tear a couple months ago. Again, this and other homeopathic remedies helped to avoid surgery and she is almost back to normal today- though I wouldn't dare to take her hiking any time soon.

Your vet can also make a customized brace for the dogs knee for add. support.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Lemongrass essential oil. It helps with pain and healing, and is especially good for ligaments. You can mix a couple drops with a bit of olive oil and then apply to the pawpads and it will be absorbed. Just make sure you're getting a quality essential oil. Only purchase when in glass bottles and no dropper tops. Essential oils are strong and will degrade plastic which then contaminates them. Make sure it has the latin name, and if it says what country its from thats a plus. Therapeutic grade essentials can be taken internally, so if it says not to consume its lesser quality. Best oils are the Young living oils but you have to order them. I have some now brand oils that I picked up at a local health store. (also, since oils are not regulated any can place claims such as therapeutic grade on their labels)

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Do many people give their dogs vitamin C ? I found this interesting- is it an everyday use or just when something is hurting? Sorry for asking a silly question, I have just recently been getting more into holistic remedies with dogs and trying to learn as much as possible. Right now my dogs get 1000 mg of fish oil with their morning meal, and my female with HD, and my female who had elbow dysplasia surgery get 1500 mg of glucosamine and 1200 mg of chondroiton twice a day.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
thanks! Can anyone recommend a good book for holistic remedies for dogs, including vitamin uses for them?

·
Registered
6,271 Posts

·
14,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, I second that recommendation. I have it too!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Thanks! I am going to be placing an order from Amazon, I am adding this to the list!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts