German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to stop using pesticides such as Advantage and Front Line on my dogs because I feel like I am poisoning them everytime I apply it.

Has anyone tried the Nature's Defender from Cedar Oil Industries? It is supposed to be "chemical free" . My animals don't need flea repellent too often, maybe I apply it 3 times a yr max., so I'm wondering about this pesticide free product.

Thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have heard great things about Buff Off Garlic from Springtime Inc.

I have not used it as Ava is allergic to the yeast that it contains but it really sounds like a wonderful product. They will send you a magazine which is great.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I started giving Bug off garlic two months ago. I hope it works against ticks, we don't really have lots of fleas around here.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
it works like a charm against ticks. in the 5 years i've been putting it on my dogs i have only found one tick. i take my dogs into the woods a lot and before that was pulling ticks off of them a lot.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for the info everyone!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I think I'll have to try some too. Ticks are insane here - I walked 50' into the woods to help my one dog find a ball that had bounced...and walked out with around 20 ticks on my legs and a dozen on the dog that I could find. I stopped using commercial flea/tick products a year or two ago and can't say I've noticed ANY difference in how many ticks I've found embedded on my dogs...I think the ticks here have developed a resistance to a lot of the chemicals. We do spend a lot of time in the woods hiking. I might find one or two ticks embedded a month and that never seems too bad for how many I know are out there, but if I could cut it down to zero naturally that would be wonderful.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I always have hesitated to use Garlic, i thought it was toxic to dogs? i know its in alot of foods and products for ddogs now, but to supplement seperately i need convincing its safe.

debbie

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Originally Posted By: phgsd I stopped using commercial flea/tick products a year or two ago and can't say I've noticed ANY difference in how many ticks I've found embedded on my dogs...I think the ticks here have developed a resistance to a lot of the chemicals.
Our vet just stopped order Frontline because it is apparently worthless against the ticks here as they have developed an immunity to it. Now, how they figured that out I don't know but apparently there are just so many dogs using it that it's become ineffective

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Originally Posted By: phgsdI think I'll have to try some too. Ticks are insane here - I walked 50' into the woods to help my one dog find a ball that had bounced...and walked out with around 20 ticks on my legs and a dozen on the dog that I could find. I stopped using commercial flea/tick products a year or two ago and can't say I've noticed ANY difference in how many ticks I've found embedded on my dogs...I think the ticks here have developed a resistance to a lot of the chemicals. We do spend a lot of time in the woods hiking. I might find one or two ticks embedded a month and that never seems too bad for how many I know are out there, but if I could cut it down to zero naturally that would be wonderful.
Since I've been using the Bug Off Garlic I have gone on hikes with my dogs and come out with ticks on me and none of them. Just so everyone knows, it does take time to build up in the system--3 to 4 weeks, to be safe. I usually start it about now in anticipation of ticks appearing in May around here.

BECAUSE GARLIC IS A POWERFUL HERB I ONLY GIVE IT TO MY DOGS 6 DAYS/WEEK.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I use Sentinel for the dogs, http://www.sentinelpet.com/flea_prevention.html (it protects against fleas and it protects against heart worms).

I also spray my yard with Triazicide, http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/OutdoorInsecticide/TriazicideSoilTurfConcentrates/ and let it dry before letting my dogs go out. I don't mess around with fleas anymore. I tried the natural way with nematodes in the yard and ended up losing an outdoor cat to fleas (took two days and she had to have a blood transfusion and then ended up dying anyway).

The cats get Frontline - but not every month since I take care of the yard and the dogs.

IMHO and based on my experience I would not recommend taking the chance. I'd rather take the risk of using chemicals safely and as directed vs. a natural method that proved fatal. If I had used the chemicals my cat would still be alive. That was the FIRST year I had not used chemicals to spray my yard or use Frontline on my cats. It was also my LAST.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
i guess there are pros and cons to everything. i can't say that i would totally trust alternative flea/tick products at this point. we are in a heavily populated area for ticks, fleas, etc. i am looking to use an alternative along with flea, tick products, because i think it can help the effectiveness, etc.

debbie

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Glad you brought it up! I'm looking into plants that will keep the neighbors fleas on THEIR side of the fence. Every time I go near my new garden, I'm getting bit by fleas.

Flea repelling plants (anyone have any experience with these plants, chime in!)
in order aesthetic appeal

Lavender
peppermint (which should be classified as a WEED in my yard)
mint
rosemary
tansy
pennyroyal (not safe if you have cats)
garlic

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Originally Posted By: AngelesVonLobosI use Sentinel for the dogs, http://www.sentinelpet.com/flea_prevention.html (it protects against fleas and it protects against heart worms).

I also spray my yard with Triazicide, http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/OutdoorInsecticide/TriazicideSoilTurfConcentrates/ and let it dry before letting my dogs go out. I don't mess around with fleas anymore. I tried the natural way with nematodes in the yard and ended up losing an outdoor cat to fleas (took two days and she had to have a blood transfusion and then ended up dying anyway).

The cats get Frontline - but not every month since I take care of the yard and the dogs.

IMHO and based on my experience I would not recommend taking the chance. I'd rather take the risk of using chemicals safely and as directed vs. a natural method that proved fatal. If I had used the chemicals my cat would still be alive. That was the FIRST year I had not used chemicals to spray my yard or use Frontline on my cats. It was also my LAST.
I'm very sorry to hear about your cat. I feel the same way except that I will never put pesticides on my animals because of the danger to their health. I just read a study today linking pesticide use and birth defects in human babies; that is pesticides in surface water and we put the stuff directly on our animals!

My strategy is to feed the best food possible and use supplements and then use NEEM oil dip and shampoo along with apple cider vinegar, if necessary. I do check my animals immediately with a flea comb at the first sign of scratching as well. If I find one flea on any of them, I treat the dogs with the NEEM products and then comb the dogs and cat multiple times a day. Last year I found one flea, killed it, treated the dogs and everyone was fine after that.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: AngelesVonLobos....IMHO and based on my experience I would not recommend taking the chance. I'd rather take the risk of using chemicals safely and as directed vs. a natural method that proved fatal. If I had used the chemicals my cat would still be alive. That was the FIRST year I had not used chemicals to spray my yard or use Frontline on my cats. It was also my LAST.
I get that -- I used Frontline for years, and would still use it if my dog didn't have an issue with it. Tick diseases can be fatal, no matter what you do.

As for the yard, Ivory liquid detergent through the lawn sprayer is said to be very effective for tick control. If that's true, it certainly is less toxic.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
its one of those things where its a catch 22. i usually use the frontline plus for the young health dogs, and for my senior i use the Top Spot which is absent of the extra ingredient that is a bit much for him. i noticed a few years ago after i was applying the plus on him, he would have diarrhea the next day, which told me he wasn't tolerating it. so, i tried the regular frontline (top spot) and he is fine with it. but, with him i stretch it out to 45 days before reapplying, and use alternatives along with it.

i am not sure i would dare to use strictly alternative methods around here, unless i had a dog that was extrmely allergic and reacted to flea/tick products.

debbie

1 - 20 of 29 Posts