German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I basically used it with her reactivity. To give her a release from seeing other dogs, we initiated a session of tuggie. I've also played a lot of tug with her and encouraged her to leap onto me while we engage. But that's about the extent I've done.

Of course, playing tug when seeing other dogs is also counter-conditioning. Changing another dog from being a scary thing to being a positive thing. I've tried a lot of different things for Ris' reactivity and seem to have the most luck just going with the flow and rewarding proper behavior and creating different associations with the scary things.

Most of our training is done with the clicker.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Okay, at the risk of sounding critical of both these training centers, I'd like to say that I question any trainers who criticize other training methods and tout their own as "the way"..I believe in the "full toolbox" way of thinking. Clicker training may not be for everyone, but it IS based on science.Clicker ARE Not gimmicks..they are tools of communication.
And to dismiss trainers who are certified, by an organization that you belong to, seems odd. I have friends who are CPDTs. They have gone through a lot to get their certification. They are dedicated people who continue their education...that is a critical part of being certified by APDT.

I am curious about any method that works, but see nothing on either website that tells me about this, the only good method.

Please correct me if I'm missing the point.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: twonhshepherdsOkay, at the risk of sounding critical of both these training centers, I'd like to say that I question any trainers who criticize other training methods and tout their own as "the way"..I believe in the "full toolbox" way of thinking. Clicker training may not be for everyone, but it IS based on science.Clicker ARE Not gimmicks..they are tools of communication.
And to dismiss trainers who are certified, by an organization that you belong to, seems odd. I have friends who are CPDTs. They have gone through a lot to get their certification. They are dedicated people who continue their education...that is a critical part of being certified by APDT.

I am curious about any method that works, but see nothing on either website that tells me about this, the only good method.

Please correct me if I'm missing the point.
I am big on the clicker, treats and use other tools. So this thread does not reflect my training style. I am a member of the APDT, and defintely respect CPDTs effort to become certified.

But, I am still interested in this style of training.

I agree that I don't like when they point out things that other trainers do to try to make it seem like they are more legit. But, that is a different thread.

The whole gimmick thing aside, what I am looking for is opinions and discussion of Natural Dog Training, which seems to be no extra training tools, besides you and your dog learning to communicate.

*I don't think that the tenderfoot site focused on discrediting other styles and tools, but seem to be focusing more on promoting their style? Although, the other site is a bit candid in their opinions of training tools, and I think that is not necessary. But it is their website
but people will pick up on that and it may be a big plus to some and a definite no-no to others.

·
Registered
499 Posts
From the small amount that I've had time to read (I'm supposed to be doing bookeeping,yawn), there is a lot of interesting info on this site....a different perspective. Anything that helps me improve my relationship w/my beasties is good information!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check out this podcast, really interesting. A lot of basic info, but some stuff that people might now thing of esp. new owners.

http://pets.ca/blog/?p=32

Some interesting opinions on collars. Not sure that I completely agree, but I guess she is talking about the greater public using this equipment without knowing how to use it properly.

If anyone listens would be interested in opinions!

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Yeah I think poor Jamie is still waiting on a book about this isnt she......

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have their DVD, which was recommended to me - and I very much like them and their philosophy. I have to admit though, it is very difficult for me to follow.

I did email them with some questions/problems, and received a phone call from the wife (forget her name at the moment) and she spent 30 minutes or more on the phone with me. I greatly respect that level of dedication to what they do!

·
Registered
229 Posts
What I liked most was their sincere love of animals - dogs in particular, and how their training seems to be firm (in terms of rules) but never overbearing or old school. They allow the dog to understand what is being asked or expected, and use praise and reward. There is also a nice section of the video where they demonstrate the "love and trust" roll as a method to form a tight and trustful bond with the dog, as well as to desensitize the handling of the animal, etc.

As I mentioned, I was very frustrated with hand biting issues, and Elizabeth called me and helped me over the phone for over 30 minutes, far above and beyond the call of duty.

The video is called "Love them and lead them", and I highly recommend it.

http://www.tenderfoottraining.com/videos.html

As with all training, there will be parts that you may not wish to use, but I guarantee it won't be because they are mean or hurtful in any way. I don't usually agree with everything a trainer says, and I don't sit cross legged at anyone's feet... but I have an admiration for their sincere love of the animal and true desire to help others establish a great relationship with their pets.

Hope that helps some... sounds like a commercial, but it's not meant to be... I just really like them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts