German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to take my GSD mix on a 1,000 mi car trip. While she loves the car she does get anxious when her routine is upset.

I plan to take extra frequent long walks throughout the trip and keep her as much as possible to her routines.

Any advice for something I can give her to calm her when she gets especially anxious?

I've heard valerian root + CBD oil as options but I'd like some input from this group please. Your experience please.

Thank you from Carol and Kadia ?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Shadow has a lavender teddy bear thing that lives in her crate in the vehicle. They sell them as calming aids and while I would be hesitant to say it works, I find her sleeping with it when I look in there.
We have been homeless for almost a year and Shadow gets downright freaked out about changes, but through this whole adventure she has been surprisingly good. I have the same mat that her dishes have always sat on, I feed her at about the same times, keep to the same potty schedule and I have her bed and her crate. The first few days of driving were entertaining(not), but she got the hang of things pretty quick.
I am always hesitant to medicate dogs while travelling because if the unthinkable happens and they get lost being drugged isn't going to help them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No car sickness that I observe. Though she does whimper a bit if she can't hang out the window. As long as the windows are open she seems calm and when she's had enough of looking out the window she settles into her bed with her toys and antler chew.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
How about a bully stick on the way every 500 miles? Take a break every few hours. Try to take her out when she is not complaining. Other than that, drive in a relaxed way and don't pay too much attention to her objections. All my dogs, past and now have traveled in a crate. It keeps you safe as well. Enjoy the road trip!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Try Endurapet Plus. It worked wonders for a friend's anxious dog, and it's considerably cheaper than CBD oil or capsules, and it's all natural.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
The bear Shadow has is made by Multipet and it's one of their Aromadog toys. I think I got hers at a PetValu store.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We travel a lot. Pepper will stand and watch, get bored then sleep, wakes up for turn signals or changes in speed.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I drove Seiran to the vet last week, and she threw up all over my purse. When I tried to move her, she then proceeded to puke INSIDE my purse. The vets office is 2 minutes away. Sigh.

I’m going to have to try some of the above methods.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I drove Seiran to the vet last week, and she threw up all over my purse. When I tried to move her, she then proceeded to puke INSIDE my purse. The vets office is 2 minutes away. Sigh.

I’m going to have to try some of the above methods.
If she is pukey try the ginger gravol. I really like the idea of Shadows lavender bear, I would be unwilling to say it works but it does seem to have a calming effect and as I recall it was pretty cheap.

I also found that Shadow is more likely to get wound up if she is loose in the vehicle. In her crate she settles faster. I can fit her smaller crate in the back seat of the truck or the back seat of a Sunfire.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
No car sickness that I observe. Though she does whimper a bit if she can't hang out the window. As long as the windows are open she seems calm and when she's had enough of looking out the window she settles into her bed with her toys and antler chew.
That doesn't seem extreme enough to warrant medicating her. Why not just crack a window and let her settle on her own?

If we never let dogs experience stress then they don't know how to work thru it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sounds like to me she's simply saying....hey mom how 'bout opening the windows...I want to feel the wind in my hair--not to mention all the great smells out there....

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I took a trip with Jax once. PA to KS to TX and back to PA. She whined until we hit the PA/OH border, settled down and was chill the rest of the trip. So chill that she rolled right off the seat in TN and I had to stop to unharness her and set her upright.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
This is my experience with long road trips. Initially they 'think' we are going somewhere fun close-by so they are vigilant. Once on the freeway, they give up and lie down until we leave the freeway when there is a variety of turns etc. Or when they smell the ocean breeze, sit up so they don't have to miss anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the great advice. We made it from Seattle to Denver with no issues at all. Kadia worked her way through the stress and seemed to adjust well to the hours in the car. We took frequent stops for walks and she enjoyed all the new smells. Found a super homestay for her with a young man in Denver while I'm working this week. Next week it's on to Casper for a week. So far so good. Thanks to rover.com and Airbnb!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Pay attention to if she understands the GPS. Lol I just figured out that Seger does. "Arrive at your destination" wakes him and sends him into whine mode.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts