German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much consideration, I decided to try a switch in foods to see if that might alleviate some of Zoe's allergies. She gets allergy shot once a month but when the pollen rises her belly breaks out in a horrible rash that we have to try to control with benedryl, a special shampoo, and a Rx powder. Her ears will occasionally flair up and now she has been eating her feet. A food change is the only thing we haven't tried yet so I decided to try a minimal ingredient allergy formula to see if it works (also taking into consideration that the vet told me to do a novel protein source). Oh, and she has been eating Solid Gold Wolf King.

So I just bought Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison:
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein 20.0% minimum
Crude Fat 10.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 4.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Calcium 1.1% minimum
Phosphorous 0.9% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 2.0% minimum

Ingredients: Sweet Potatoes, Venison, Venison Meal, Potato Protein, Canola Oil, Potato Fiber, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Choline Chloride, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

So far she really likes it and eats it much better than she ate the Solid Gold (but this may be because it's new for now). I wasn't too keen on the protein source not being first but since I'm doing a sort of food trial, I plan on adding protein sources one at a time later to see if I can narrow down what she may be allergic to that wasn't tested or didn't show up on the allergy test. (After which I will probably change to another food with higher protein if all goes well.)

So anyways (if you've actually read down this far)... I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this food or has any advice to offer. I am trying to stay away from food containing apples because I've read that apples can aggravate grass allergies, which of course Zoe has... (she is pretty much allergic to nature). Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
oh poor girl...
i'm curious to see how she responds to this diet change.
we may be taking the same route with dylan if his previous conditions (skin problems) return.

what is the added protein source you mentioned?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I've been using that food for the last 2 years with Grace and Leo and I love it. Their poops are the best they've ever been and their condition is great. It's a low fat food which worries me slightly but Grace has some inflammatory bowel issues so we kind of need that. And the lack of fat doesn't seem to be hurting Leo any - his coat is beautiful.

Overall, we've been extremely happy with it. I hope it works for you!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I am using this food for my allergy dog, and it looks like my gsdx is becoming allergic as well so he will go on it. I've been looking at old threads on this forum and saw where some people have been successful adding raw local honey to the dog's diet. This makes sense. I have called our local Farmer's Market and will be picking up some local honey today. Am also considering ordering some Yucca drops from PetMeds.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I have used the fish and sweet potato forumla. Rocky did ok on it. I was considering trying the duck or venison one. I did not know about apples so I am going to make sure his next food does not have them.

Was also wondering about a protein source. Is there anyway to increase the fat?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
We tried the fish formula first, then the duck, and now the venison. Even though Grace's allergy test didn't show sensitivities to any of them, for us, the venison has definitely worked best. It makes their poop smell very odd though.

We were thinking about adding liquid omega 3 fatty acids to the food but I'm worried about it causing a flare up for Grace. If your dog doesn't have other GI issues, that's a possibility.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally Posted By: elsieoh poor girl...

what is the added protein source you mentioned?
I'm going to try one thing at a time, probably starting with chicken because she loves it being added to her food. Then I'll try other things like salmon, turkey, etc. spacing them out to see if I see one or more that flairs up her allergies. In the meantime I am going to use the Welness 95% venison (canned) to add to her food for extra protein since there are no extra ingredients outisde the NB.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
How much canned food would you have to add to get a sufficient amount of protein?

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
OH, I havent ever fed either of the boys canned food. Wonder if anyone knows, or if they can suggest something else. I am wondering if maybe adding some cooked chicken, or a high protein meat would work better than dog food.

How old is Zoe by the way?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zoe will be 2 in September. I have added chicken, salmon, and jack mackerel as protein sources in the past and still do for my other dog, especially since she is a working dog and needs more protein and fat. I have had good results in doing this, except that I think Zoe may be allergic to at least one of them.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I would try to start with one that you know she isnt allergic to especially if you are changing her food. I would also wait until you know for sure that she is ok with the new food.

It is hard when they have allergies. I can truly sypathize with you on that one. I just cant stomach doing the raw thing, not to mention, the cost associated with it.

·
2,967 Posts
We use it and like it, initially because of some puppy allergies that he thank god seems to have outgrown. Evanger's dog food also makes these half-cans of 100% meat (Duck, Pheasant, Buffalo, Beef, Rabbit, Chicken, Venison) which I add into his kibble 1 can per day split between meals, to add some more protein and moisture into his diet.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: DSuddI would try to start with one that you know she isnt allergic to especially if you are changing her food. I would also wait until you know for sure that she is ok with the new food.
This is a good point. Your dog could be allergic to any one of the ingredients in any of the foods (including the NB). The best way to find out food allergies is to do an elimination diet (either raw or home cooked).

Originally Posted By: DSuddI just cant stomach doing the raw thing, not to mention, the cost associated with it.
As for the cost, I have found (especially dealing with an allergy dog), that I have spent far less in vet bills and meds so that I have more than made up for any cost difference in food.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Rocky isnt on meds. He is doing so much better about itching, but I dont think his current food is the correct one. If you dont mind my asking what does it cost you to feed raw per month?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: DSuddRocky isnt on meds. He is doing so much better about itching, but I dont think his current food is the correct one. If you dont mind my asking what does it cost you to feed raw per month?
I wasn't inferring Rocky was on meds...but I just wanted to make a general comment that raw isn't so expensive when it comes to allergy dogs - especially if you consider the money you can possibly save at the vet! My male was on allergy shots, antihistimines, vet visits, topical creams, we tried shots to stop the itchings... everything. All that adds up quickly (more so than the cost of raw food). Now, he isn't on any sort of meds. He (well, both my dogs) do get some supplements - but the few dollars I spend extra on that isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

We spend approx $1/lb of food - my male eats approx 2 lbs a day. But, I splurge on goodies and could probably make it a little cheaper if I had to. We also don't have any friends that hunt, which would cut costs down (not much hunting here in SoCal). The trick is finding a bulk meat distributer. We just bought 500 lbs of food (split between several raw feeding families) and spent $220.

But, like you said, raw feeding isn't for everyone. It does take a little more effort than scooping out x amount of kibble from a bag. But for me, it is worth not having my dog itch all the time and on medicine 24/7.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I wasnt thinking you were implying anything. I was just trying to give more information.

I dont have a problem in putting forth an effort in feeding my pups, I am just trying to figure out what is best for them.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: DSuddI dont have a problem in putting forth an effort in feeding my pups, I am just trying to figure out what is best for them.
And that is what we all do!!!
Dogs with allergies certainly don't make things easy sometimes!

Hope everything is ok with your DH!

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Definitely does not make things easier. Wish they could talk and help us out.

When I left the hospital about an hour ago he was sleeping so hopefully he will have a good night.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I had a heck of a time figuring it out with Ava, I think I have gone through 10 different foods until I found one that is working well. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts