German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a small bag of Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Diet Sweet Potato and Venison to try since I am having skin issued with two of my dogs - one gsdx 98 lbs. I am wondering if 20% protein is enough for a dog this big. Following are the ingredients. Fat content is 10%. Any comments? All the dogs like the taste - came back wanting more.

Sweet Potatoes, Venison, Venison Meal, Potato Protein, Canola Oil, Potato Fiber, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Choline Chloride, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B).

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't use Natural Balance currently, but have used it in the past (Duck formula). I think it's fine, you might have to feed a bit more than you would of a more if your dogs seem to lose weight. It is a good food, I think and lot's of folks have good luck with it.

I looked on their website to see how many Kcals it has, but I couldn't find any info on that.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
This is what I feed Cooper and Ava - they love it and it has cleared up some skin issues in Cooper. I also like the fact that if you call NB they will send you some coupons.

Cooper is 98 pounds and he eats 4 cups a day.
Ava is 80 pounds and she too eats 4 cups a day.

They also get a scoop of canned food mixed in with their breakfast feeding.

Give it a try it will probably help the skin issues you are having with 2 of your dogs.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I just bought a big bag to try along with some of the canned food. Also, got some venison NV frozen medallions to throw every so often.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Originally Posted By: AnnaRileyI called the company. It has 409 per cup.
Wow! That is much higher than I expected! I'm suprised at how some foods that have such a high protein percentage can have fewer calories and how some foods have much lower protein percentage but have much more calories.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Natural Balance foods are low in fat but high in carbs. So you don't get as low of calories as you might expect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts