German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would love some feedback from people who have tried this food. I'm considering this food next for Ava since she is due for a switch.

thank you!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Before I went to RAW I was feeing Natural Balance Lamb and Rice. Great food for digestive issues, but it has a high cal content of 478 Cal per Cup.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i wouldnt recommend it unless you have a dog that must have a limited ingredient, single protein diet, since it is essentially a bag of potatoes.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that this is virtually a bag of taters BUT she does have to be on a LID and I need to switch her food but have very limited options. I would like to try California Natural Venison but it's almost $70 a bag which is not an option.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the lamb and rice has that high of a caloric count or the duck? she cannot eat lamb ...

·
2,967 Posts
We used the NB Fish and Sweet Potato for a long time before switching to TOTW. I had great results and it was over 400 Cal per Cup so I didn't have to feed too much of it. I really recommend that for dogs on LID.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Would love some feedback from people who have tried this food. I'm considering this food next for Ava since she is due for a switch.

thank you!
All my aussies have been eating NB Potato & Duck for quite some time. They have always done really well on the food.

Jarie has been eating the NB Sweet Potato and Bison for the past several months and is also doing quite well, and you know all the health issues she has, and she doesn't tolerate many foods.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your replies! I got her a small bag of NB Duck and Potato and a small bag of the California Natural Venison so we shall see which one she likes better. Thanks again!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you everyone for your replies! I got her a small bag of NB Duck and Potato and a small bag of the California Natural Venison so we shall see which one she likes better. Thanks again!
How is Ava doing on the taste test? I am thinking of switching Meka's food. She's been eating California Natural - Venison. Switched from Lamb Grain free before that was Lamb & Rice --- but she's been scratching alot and vet says it's the food. So thought I'd switch brands since I've already tried all the flovors from CN. And she can't eat grains - so this seemed like a good alternative.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I agree that this is virtually a bag of taters BUT she does have to be on a LID and I need to switch her food but have very limited options. I would like to try California Natural Venison but it's almost $70 a bag which is not an option.
Look at one of new Annamaet GF's or Annamaet Option if you need something less likely to cause a reaction.

Annamaet Option is a very creative food using Catfish & Venison. Several of the major vet schools dispense it. It is also a human-grade food.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
If the NB is cheaper, why not try to NB Venison formula?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Personally, I would steer away from NB Potato and Duck and opt for Sweet potato and Venison, Sweet potato and Fish or Sweet potato and Bison. I am not happy with feeding white potatoes as a carb if possible. In the Sweet potato formulas, it does contain potato protein, but the main carb is sweet potato, a better potato choice nutritionally, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, when you need a LID, the NB is one of the better choices of kibble if you can't do home cooked. I'm hesitant to feed anything manufactured by P&G, who purchased the Natura company and lines of food. For now, it seems like they haven't monkeyed wiht the formulas, but being the skeptic I am, I figure it's only a matter of time. :(

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've been feeding my three GSD's and my Aussie mutt NB Potato and Duck for at least seven years. No health issues, the quality between bags is consistent, and the two times I have tried to switch to a cheaper food (dumb) are the only times my dogs have had excessive scratching (which went away as soon as I switched them back). Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Look at one of new Annamaet GF's or Annamaet Option if you need something less likely to cause a reaction.

Annamaet Option is a very creative food using Catfish & Venison. Several of the major vet schools dispense it. It is also a human-grade food.
The problem with this food is that it is NOT a grain-free food. If the OP is looking for a limited ingredient diet (LID), then this is not a good food choice. When dealing with food allergies and feeding kibble, the first thing you want to do is eliminate all grains and try to get onto a single novel protein if possible (the best option is homecooked, but sometimes that just isn't feasible). The food you are recommending looks like a decent enough food, but the second ingredient is brown rice and the fourth and fifth ingredients are pearled barley and millet...all three are grains. Sadly, not an option for the OP.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
The problem with this food is that it is NOT a grain-free food. If the OP is looking for a limited ingredient diet (LID), then this is not a good food choice. When dealing with food allergies and feeding kibble, the first thing you want to do is eliminate all grains and try to get onto a single novel protein if possible (the best option is homecooked, but sometimes that just isn't feasible). The food you are recommending looks like a decent enough food, but the second ingredient is brown rice and the fourth and fifth ingredients are pearled barley and millet...all three are grains. Sadly, not an option for the OP.
100% wrong but I will tell the allergists at Penn & Cornell of your findings.

The truth is food allergies that are verified are almost never grain-related. That is a fact. None of the grains except for wheat are statistically significant in allergy cases. Moreover I know how this food is made and that process is like wearing belts and suspenders.

This food was designed for stubborn protein cases, even the few that really exist.

Most of what you say is just internet blabber.

Where is the data showing that potato is better than brown rice, millet & barley?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Wow...I guess I'm talking out my butt according to you? Internet blabber, you say.

I guess having an allergy dog who IS allergic to grains, including barley, millet AND rice, then that means nothing. More internet blabber? I do not advise lightly or without experience.

The first protocol for my dog's dermatologist, who btw IS a Cornell graduate, regarding possible food allergies is to feed the dog an elimination diet, removing all food/treats and feed a single a novel protien and one carb, perferably, NOT a grain. He does not recommend kibble, instead, a home cooked diet. That was not possible for me, so we did kibble like NB. Slowly adding back over the course of a year, other proteins and then adding certain grains back, first rice, then barley/millet. WOW, lo and behold, ALL grains were an allergen for us.

Why don't you take some time to read up on nutrition about potatoes, sweet potatoes and grains. Not every dog who has allergies has the same food allergies, but taking out all possible allergens including grains and certain proteins (usually chicken or beef) which are common to most foods is a starting point. Over the course of the past two years, I have painstakenly taken my time to find out what works for us and what doesn't.

Good for Penn and Cornell veterinary schools. I think it's about darn time more is done about why all these dogs are coming up with food allergies. BUT, talk to those same allergists and I'm sure they'd dump all over a raw diet that many have found to greatly help their dog's allergies. And correct me if I'm wrong, but most raw diets are grain free, aren't they?

And I never said potato is better than millet, barley and rice....

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Wow...I guess I'm talking out my butt according to you? Internet blabber, you say.

I guess having an allergy dog who IS allergic to grains, including barley, millet AND rice, then that means nothing. More internet blabber? I do not advise lightly or without experience.

The first protocol for my dog's dermatologist, who btw IS a Cornell graduate, regarding possible food allergies is to feed the dog an elimination diet, removing all food/treats and feed a single a novel protien and one carb, perferably, NOT a grain. He does not recommend kibble, instead, a home cooked diet. That was not possible for me, so we did kibble like NB. Slowly adding back over the course of a year, other proteins and then adding certain grains back, first rice, then barley/millet. WOW, lo and behold, ALL grains were an allergen for us.

Why don't you take some time to read up on nutrition about potatoes, sweet potatoes and grains. Not every dog who has allergies has the same food allergies, but taking out all possible allergens including grains and certain proteins (usually chicken or beef) which are common to most foods is a starting point. Over the course of the past two years, I have painstakenly taken my time to find out what works for us and what doesn't.

Good for Penn and Cornell veterinary schools. I think it's about darn time more is done about why all these dogs are coming up with food allergies. BUT, talk to those same allergists and I'm sure they'd dump all over a raw diet that many have found to greatly help their dog's allergies. And correct me if I'm wrong, but most raw diets are grain free, aren't they?

And I never said potato is better than millet, barley and rice....
Yes it is entirely that. Dogs with allergies have a very broad spectrum of issues & sensitivities and 90% of those are environmental. Thus 10% are bonafide dietary issues. Only a very small fraction of that 10% have any thing to do with grains even if you include wheat. Rice and Corn are the least allergenic by the way.

Chicken, beef, eggs & dairy are almost entirely responsible for even that small percentage of allergies.

The bottom line is that grain allergies especially when you eliminate wheat from the data are NOT STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT, studied over years and years and ten of thousands of dogs.

I wish people would stop telling other people that grains cause this. 9/10 dogs with allergies have broad spectrum environmental allergies. The rest are allergic to common proteins and almost always these dogs have environmental allergies as well.

These are the facts.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Well, I am an allergy tester for people. And corn is one of the top five for people. Not to mention corn has no nutritional value. It's a filler and nothing more. And yet it's in about 70% of the food we consume in various forms. Heck, it's not even indiginous to the US.

I will not feed corn to my animals whether they have an allergy or not. Same with white potatoes. My dog has a wheat and chicken allergy amoung others. I have one dog with food issues and one dog with environmental issues. And with a wheat allergy, you have to avoid barley, oats, etc. So they do tend to go hand and hand. I have a wheat allergy as well. I can't have rye, barly, or oats because of that.

I tend to feed my dogs the Bison/Sweet Potato, Lamb/Rice, Fish/Sweet Potato, Venison/Sweet Potato. I avoid corn and white pototoes just because it's not nutritionally sound. Therefore, while Duck and Potatoes may be fine with my dogs allergies, it's not an option I would choose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts