German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, has anyone noticed a change in the Natura products after the buyout? I read some of the threads after the buyout was announced and it seemed like everyone who was using Evo at the time was going to drop it like a bad habit. I'm just curious if anyone has seen any differences in the formula?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I haven't bought any new Evo, but another member of another forum I frequent advises that her dog has had problems with the new bag.

Remember, they don't have to tell anyone about any changes for 6 months and there are less than 6 months left in this year. 2011 is only 3 months and change away.

Also, so long as the ingredients and amounts stay the same, they don't have to tell us if the SOURCE of the ingredients change. They could have gone from using good quality chicken/turkey/beef to the garbage scraped off diseased animals. This, I would not put past P&G.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Aaarg! I just spent the last two months transitioning from California Naturals to Evo. And I have two big bags of Evo unopened.

Oh man, I hate the way these big companies can screw the consumer. WHY would a company be willing to put diseased animal flesh into a dog's food just to increase profit?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
We feed Innova-so far so good. I saved a label from the bag I had when the change was announced to compare to all bags I buy moving forward. If they do make changes I don't think it will show on the bag right away.

He does SO good on Innova-but I am VERY nervous about P&G owning Natura now-very scary stuff. I already have a few in mind we would try if we need to switch.

·
Registered
668 Posts
We are one family who dropped EVO like a bad habit. We're just not willing to wait and see. We switched to Acana and both of our dogs almost gobble that up! It's great!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Not the previous poster, but I do feed Acana. And I rotate between all three GF flavors. The only thing I don't like is the Grasslands (lamb) flavor seems to make Dakota constipated unless I add some fiber to his meals. But the Pacifica and the High Prairie are both big hits. And my Koda Bear is 2 1/2 yrs

·
Registered
668 Posts
Acana is on my back-up list. Which flavor does your dog like, and how old?
My GSD is 2 years and 7 months old just about. My Golden Retriever is 20 months. We feed Acana Wild Prairie. I have to special order it so I haven't tried any other flavors yet. Hannah, our GSD, has not liked any food as much as she likes this. I've given her ALL of the Orijen flavors, all EVO (including their fish), Instinct, Prairie, all Fromm Four Stars, and Merrick, and all TOTW's. Yeah, we've been through a lot with food.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Aaarg! I just spent the last two months transitioning from California Naturals to Evo. And I have two big bags of Evo unopened.

Oh man, I hate the way these big companies can screw the consumer. WHY would a company be willing to put diseased animal flesh into a dog's food just to increase profit?
Cal Nat and EVO are the same company, so don't worry...you'd be in the same spot no matter what...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Geez, where have I been? I didn't realize this had happened. I have been feeding Evo, and Innova for several years and have really liked it. Especiallly the Evo Red Meat for filling out my males. This just makes me sick. I probably won't be advocating Natura products any longer to my clients, either. Dang. Dang, Dang.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you are going to change foods, what foods will you go to? I feed half my dogs raw and the other half Evo or Innova. I have interchanged with Blue Buffalo and the Blue Buffalo Wilderness, as well as the Merrick foods. I have always thought it was good to change foods about every 2-3 bags so they get different nutrients. So, they are used to the changes and do it easily. But, I am not at all happy about this buy out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are going to change foods, what foods will you go to? I feed half my dogs raw and the other half Evo or Innova. I have interchanged with Blue Buffalo and the Blue Buffalo Wilderness, as well as the Merrick foods. I have always thought it was good to change foods about every 2-3 bags so they get different nutrients. So, they are used to the changes and do it easily. But, I am not at all happy about this buy out.
I have spent the last week going around to a number of stores doing information gathering.

My plan, for now, is to switch the pup to Canidae as soon as I get him home. I like their low calcium. I will do some raw and some Canidae for the time being.

Once he's grown a bit, I'm going to really look at Orijen, Taste of the Wild, and Nature's logic.

One of the stores I went to pointed me towards Nature's Logic specifically. This brand doesn't show up on dogfoodanalysis.com, but I went to their site and I really like their dedication to healthy food.

Nature's Logic

The above dry, can, and raw diet minor ingredient concentrates are the main Nature’s Logic™ sources for natural vitamin and mineral supplementation which have required minimums listed in the AAFCO Nutrient Profiles for Dogs and Cats. Chemically synthesized mineral and vitamin forms have long been used in the feed industry to correct deficiencies in diet formulations, but not without risk. This practice is much cheaper than using enough quality ingredients to provide ample nutrient levels. The National Research Council reports on “Mineral Tolerance of Domestic Animals” and “Vitamin Tolerance of Domestic Animals” state that the main emphasis for the reports is the potential adverse effects of chemically synthesized minerals and vitamins on animals. In the body of the reports it is stated how the toxicity of many chemically synthesized minerals and vitamins has been known for many decades with known toxicity in humans as well as many animals including cats and dogs.

Nature’s Logic™ is committed to providing diets that include only 100% natural ingredients which provide needed nutrients, including vitamins and minerals from food sources only. Nature’s Logic™ diets exceed all AAFCO nutrient profile minimums using 100% natural food ingredients on the following minerals and vitamins listed in the AAFCO Nutrient Profile for Dogs and Cats: Calcium, Phosphorus, Sodium, Chloride, Magnesium, Iron, Copper, Manganese, Iodine, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, and Vitamin B12.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 5 yo Bengal cat has been on EVO all her life but I am switching to TOTW for both her and my GSD.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
switch the pup to Canidae as soon as I get him home. I like their low calcium. I will do some raw and some Canidae for the time being.

Once he's grown a bit, I'm going to really look at Orijen, Taste of the Wild, and Nature's logic.

actually, if you click on the nutrient analysis of the canidae, even the grain inclusive als has higher calcium levels than orijen.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I haven't bought any new Evo, but another member of another forum I frequent advises that her dog has had problems with the new bag.

Remember, they don't have to tell anyone about any changes for 6 months and there are less than 6 months left in this year. 2011 is only 3 months and change away.

Also, so long as the ingredients and amounts stay the same, they don't have to tell us if the SOURCE of the ingredients change. They could have gone from using good quality chicken/turkey/beef to the garbage scraped off diseased animals. This, I would not put past P&G.
That seems a pretty unfair comment about P&G and made without any basis in fact.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Geez, where have I been? I didn't realize this had happened. I have been feeding Evo, and Innova for several years and have really liked it. Especiallly the Evo Red Meat for filling out my males. This just makes me sick. I probably won't be advocating Natura products any longer to my clients, either. Dang. Dang, Dang.
If it is still working good, why would you change? Is it a change based on a dislike of P&G? How many people use other P&G products in their home and they work as designed? I use Tide, Aussie Mega Shampoo, Crest (made in North Carolina by the way), etc.....

My GSD was raised for several months on Iams Large Breed Puppy and he didn't drop dead from using a P&G product. His fur actually looked awesome and his poop was better on it that other brands that had more fat and proteins.....And I've seen plenty of dogs using Iams Vet diets (my sisters used them for years - all did great) and others that use Eukanube and do fine.

It doesn't mean that in the future supply chain resources/ingredients might not come together for economies of scale...that would make sense to me! Just remember, the "natural" (and there is no legal definition for natural) pet companies have used fearmarketing for years and it has worked.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it is still working good, why would you change? Is it a change based on a dislike of P&G? How many people use other P&G products in their home and they work as designed? I use Tide, Aussie Mega Shampoo, Crest (made in North Carolina by the way), etc.....

My GSD was raised for several months on Iams Large Breed Puppy and he didn't drop dead from using a P&G product. His fur actually looked awesome and his poop was better on it that other brands that had more fat and proteins.....And I've seen plenty of dogs using Iams Vet diets (my sisters used them for years - all did great) and others that use Eukanube and do fine.

It doesn't mean that in the future supply chain resources/ingredients might not come together for economies of scale...that would make sense to me! Just remember, the "natural" (and there is no legal definition for natural) pet companies have used fearmarketing for years and it has worked.
Yeah but when you consider all the filler that brands like Iams use, why would you want to give your dog food with corn, by-products, and grains? It just seems like common sense to me. :thinking:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Yeah but when you consider all the filler that brands like Iams use, why would you want to give your dog food with corn, by-products, and grains? It just seems like common sense to me. :thinking:
If it is still working good, why would you change?

Rice, Barley, Potatoes, Peas.....just the new things to add that are not so demonized. I mean any carb or starch source is used to be able to make kibble - without it you wouldn't have it.

If you get good results from what is being fed, why change? That is my point. If the OP is getting good results - why change? Because it is P&G? Doesn't make sense to me if you are willing to trust yourself with other P&G products - which I use a lot of at home.

Oh by-products - like I wrote in another post, there is good nutrition for them still in there - like glucosamine for example - or should I buy crushed crab shells in a pill form? While an ingredient might not look tasty to me - even chicken meal doesn't look tasty to me after watching how meat meals are processed on Dirty Jobs - it still has a nutritional value that when cooked into a food works for them. Remember - if they can eat raw foods and not get sick then they can take a lot of the left overs and use what they need and discard the rest w/out any worries.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts