German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering switching back to Innova or California Natural. My dogs were doing great on it, but I switched right about the time P&G bought Natura, really for no other reason than I didn't trust P&G to keep it as it was.

Since then I have been feeding "Nature's Domain" from Costco, the price is great, but I don't like Diamond's involvement, and the stools are not of the quality I got with the Natura stuff (and more of it), and now we have eye boogers.

So I have read on Natura's website that they intend to keep everything the same, which is reassuring.

Have people here continued to feed it, and noticed any change in their dogs? Does anyone have any inside info from the pet food industry on how the quality is being maintained? I remember seeing that they could not change anything for 1 year, which I think will be coming in the next few months.

Any info would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
We still feed it.....I have no complaints.
Several of our friends also feed it (always have since it was produced)...still happy.
*Haven't seen any negative change....until I do, I will continue to feed it.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I switched off of Innova for the exact same reason you did... didn't want to feed a P&G product.

I switched to orijen and haven't had any complaints. If Orijen is a little out of your price range, they also have Acana which is about the same price as Innova.

If I had a choice between a P&G product that worked and a Diamond product that didn't work, i'd definitely with the product that works. I don't really see diamond as much of an upgrade over P&G, but that's really up to you.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
I fed California Natural for 17 months, but the last bag gave my dog terrible diarrhea. No doubt in my mind that they are getting their ingredients from cheaper suppliers who have inferior products.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Isn't it true that these companies can switch their ingredient and don't have to adjust the ingredient lists on the food's bags for 6 months?

I know i've read that on here before. Not too sure how much truth there is too that though.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I have not noticed any changes, my dogs were doing just fine on Evo. We just switched to Orijen, just for fun. But we also have a bag of CN and Evo that we're going to cycle back to in a few months. I'm not worried yet about any formula changes.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I'm considering switching back to Innova or California Natural. My dogs were doing great on it, but I switched right about the time P&G bought Natura, really for no other reason than I didn't trust P&G to keep it as it was.

Since then I have been feeding "Nature's Domain" from Costco, the price is great, but I don't like Diamond's involvement, and the stools are not of the quality I got with the Natura stuff (and more of it), and now we have eye boogers.

So I have read on Natura's website that they intend to keep everything the same, which is reassuring.

Have people here continued to feed it, and noticed any change in their dogs? Does anyone have any inside info from the pet food industry on how the quality is being maintained? I remember seeing that they could not change anything for 1 year, which I think will be coming in the next few months.

Any info would be appreciated!
I think sometimes people just don't think straight. You don't trust P&G but you trust Diamond?

I have a hard time with that one.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I was sticking with Evo until I noticed a change. This fall Elsa got an ear infection for the first time (she usually has completely pistine, clean ears). We took her off Evo, it clearned up, and they have been back to normal since then.

Coincidence? Who knows. But we won't be putting her back on it since one thing got elminated and the problem wet away.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I currently feed Sasha Innova LBP and plan to do so up to 1 yr. Then I will be switching her to Orijen, only because I want to.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Good post. Mine was on Innova LBP from 8 weeks until about 6 months old. He did great on Innova. I did the exact samething as you & switched just because of the announcement. We went with Acanna. Love the food BUT he has had a ear infection & has been a little itchy. Not sure if it's connected? But I am also considering switching back to Innova and may try Evo.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Good post. Mine was on Innova LBP from 8 weeks until about 6 months old. He did great on Innova. I did the exact samething as you & switched just because of the announcement. We went with Acanna. Love the food BUT he has had a ear infection & has been a little itchy. Not sure if it's connected? But I am also considering switching back to Innova and may try Evo.
When it comes to manufacturing quality, consistency & control, no company can compare to Natura, Royal Canin, Ohio Pet Foods & Midwestern Pet Foods.

From a purely technical standpoint Natura & Royal Canin are untouchable as far as manufacturing goes. P&G is upgrading Euk/Iams so I suspect they will be up there very soon.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
When it comes to manufacturing quality, consistency & control, no company can compare to Natura, Royal Canin, Ohio Pet Foods & Midwestern Pet Foods.

From a purely technical standpoint Natura & Royal Canin are untouchable as far as manufacturing goes. P&G is upgrading Euk/Iams so I suspect they will be up there very soon.
Does Natura really even exist anymore? I know the name does, but it's really just P&G...

And what do you mean P&G is upgrading Puk/Iams? Not that I'm considering either of those foods... just wondering what you're talking about.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The Hooligans eat INNOVA with a little EVO canned and I haven't noticed any changes.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Does Natura really even exist anymore? I know the name does, but it's really just P&G...

And what do you mean P&G is upgrading Puk/Iams? Not that I'm considering either of those foods... just wondering what you're talking about.
Of course Natura exists, especially that gleaming, ISO Cert, high-tech plant. It is owned by P&G but a big part of the deal was the plant, production and food chemistry know-how. Nothing has changed with that food, absolutely nothing. Nestle has cheapened Pro Plan, but P&G never did that to Euk/Iams. Purina is also coming back with better formulas too though. Pro Plan Select is a nice product.

I didn't mean to imply that you would stoop to Eukanuba, but there has been considerable investment in new processing and testing equipment, even packaging & formulas. There have been shortages all over the country because of this re-tooling. If you went to Petco a few weeks ago, and maybe even today, the Euk shelves were almost empty.

When I go to Westminster in a few weeks I will inform all the owners that use Euk that you don't approve, especially all the GSD people that use the 30/20 Euk. ;)

Many use RC 4800 as well.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Sable... if you want, PM me your contact info and we can go together. I'll make sure to wear my big Eukabuna shirt with the red X through it. You know, the one I wear on a daily basis. We can both make a big statement there.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Sable... if you want, PM me your contact info and we can go together. I'll make sure to wear my big Eukabuna shirt with the red X through it. You know, the one I wear on a daily basis. We can both make a big statement there.
I don't use Euk but I don't hate it. Of the big ones RC is the best and I would have no issue using them, especially the large breed formulas & Cynotechnique 4800.

Yeah maybe we can grab a beer at the show.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since you make that statement, what about Breeder's Choice? They have a single facility in Irwindale, CA. I have heard only good things about Pinnacle.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Since you make that statement, what about Breeder's Choice? They have a single facility in Irwindale, CA. I have heard only good things about Pinnacle.
There are few others but i didn't want to make an exhaustive list. That company has a great reputation for quality control as does Texas Farm Products the maker of Precise. However, Natura & RC are the top of the heap.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input everyone. I talked to my local feed store guy and he said to his knowledge nothing has changed, and he will be keeping an eye through the network of stores and customers. I got a bag of Innova and we'll see how it goes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts