German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi y'all,
Noticed this morning a pretty good sized crusty wound on gandalfs head, at first I thought it was a tick but no tick was present. Any idea what this could be? Would you suggest a vet visit? He was scratching it this morning... I tried cleaning it with HP and put some neosporin... could have been a tick since I don't spray his head. Sucks it's right on his head, should I shave the area anyways though? Or cone since he keeps scratching at it with his back foot? It seems to bother him a lot, when I was trying to clean it it definetly hurt him as I touched the area around it.
Thanks for your input

Attachments

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Neosporin can form a scab that prevents puss from draining if it is infected. You don't have bb gun owners in the area? Embedded tick? Clean it with 50/50 peroxide/water solution?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Ewww poor baby! Looks like it could be an embedded big dog tick head. I have one on my arm and it looks like that (minus the fur lol) It hurts to touch it. Dr. put me on 21 days of Doxy and said typically they do not remove as it gets reabsorbed anyway and futzing around can cause infection..and the left over head doesn't transmit disease. But yeah, it looks like that and it hurts. I was told to compress it with warm water and epsom salts.

You only have one dog right? If so then not from playing too rough.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Neosporin can form a scab that prevents puss from draining if it is infected. You don't have bb gun owners in the area? Embedded tick? Clean it with 50/50 peroxide/water solution?
What made you think of bb guns?

·
Registered
868 Posts
If I wasn't certain in my mind.....hadn't witnessed an injury and/or event happen....like 2 of my guys rough housing and injuring themselves....I'd likely see my Vet because i wouldn't like the possibility of regretting not seeing a Vet ....later on.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
that little hole and the fact that it was discovered at this stage. I think that if you pet your dog regularly, you would have felt the tick in this area. Or at least seen it in this white coat.
I was thinking maybe it attached, he violently scratched it right off but left the head in? Because that is what I did lol freak out moment half asleep. I don't know I am kind of tick head focused right now. lol

If it does not look better end of today/tomorrow or gets worse even just a little bit it would be on my vet worthy list.

Hope he is ok!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely not BB gun, he's with me 24/7 including when he goes in the yard and it's a very secluded neighborhood, we are friends with all the neighbors. I'm thinking it was a tick he decided to take off himself.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
that little hole and the fact that it was discovered at this stage. I think that if you pet your dog regularly, you would have felt the tick in this area. Or at least seen it in this white coat.
His coat is so thick I'm not sure I would have noticed it, I didn't see any visual tick though.. and neither did husband or rest of the family. Head isn't somewhere I would first think of ticks either so I don't check there regularly...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I wasn't certain in my mind.....hadn't witnessed an injury and/or event happen....like 2 of my guys rough housing and injuring themselves....I'd likely see my Vet because i wouldn't like the possibility of regretting not seeing a Vet ....later on.
Yea he is our only dog and he hasn't played with another dog in a long time. I think comet is right he probably violently scratched a tick off, he was scratching it furiously!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm not so sure he could scratch a tick off from the center of his head and ticks don't come off very easily. When you first noticed it, was it moist? It could be the beginning of a hot spot. If it is, you can cut away some of the hair and put corn starch on it. Corn starch is sweet and dogs will lick it off making the hot spot worse, but he won't be able to lick the top of his head. HP is a good disinfectant but it is very irritating to the skin. If you think it is an infection and not a hotspot, I would use antibiotic ointment.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I washed it with some soap from the vet to get the dead skin out of there and it looks a lot better... I know I just pulled a tick off over a month ago and my wound still hasn't healed!!! I really hope it's not a hot spot, those freak me out... it just looked really gunky, the black crap around it reminded me of what it looked like when he had a tick on him before. Thanks again for your help everyone... I'm going to keep a close eye on it and take him in if it doesn't improve soon. I did put hydrogen peroxide and a little neosporin on after I washed it and took this picture too...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Do you have a bottle of Vetricyn spray? If so, I'd spray it twice daily -- it doesn't sting, promotes faster wound healing, and helps prevent infection. Compare it tomorrow to the picture you today.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not Gandalfs day, he just came inside with wet paws, face planted and nailed his hip into a corner wall and now he's limping, we might be taking a vet trip today anyways at the rate he's going... :headbang:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
It's not Gandalfs day, he just came inside with wet paws, face planted and nailed his hip into a corner wall and now he's limping, we might be taking a vet trip today anyways at the rate he's going... :headbang:
Awww buddy :( We have tile here after the entrance of the backyard. It is a struggle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts